News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

WHY - lock a thread before all is known?

Started by 98SVT - was 06GT, May 13, 2024, 07:12:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

98SVT - was 06GT

RE: The 1986 GLHS vs GT350 article.
It was written by Rick Titus. The GLHS used was a normal off the shelf model. However when all the hate mail rolled in to Hot Rod CS decided to send one to the next COCOA Willow Springs event. That car had another 40 hp and cleaned up. I was at both events and penned a couple of the pro letters to the editor that showed up later - yeah another myth blown up. There was one Corvette that had been giving Rick some problems. Typical low talent vintage guy. Slow in the corners but spent enough on the engine so it was a rocketship on the straights. Rick and I were in the car and were all over the guy in the turns but when we'd get to the back or front straight where passing was allowed he'd pull ahead. After a couple laps we went in and RT went into attack mode and eliminated the Vette in short order with my 200 pounds of ballast out of the car.
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang, 1998 SVT 32V, 1929 Model A Coupe, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

Chris Thauberger

WHY - lock a thread before all is known?

You know why... it's called controlling the narrative, as for the motive... who knows :o
Being the "All time post count king" on a forum is kinda like being rich in Monopoly

Life is 1% what happen to you and 99% how you react to it.

Video: Gold Concours GT500

Bill

Quote from: Chris Thauberger on May 14, 2024, 11:40:01 AMWHY - lock a thread before all is known?

You know why... it's called controlling the narrative, as for the motive... who knows :o

Ego more than likely. The thread is his sandbox, and only he is allowed to play with the toys within. Change may be coming, but I am not privy to what those changes might be at this time.

Bill
Instead of being part of the problem, be part of a successful solution.
HOW TO IDENTIFY A FORUM TROLL
https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=16401.0

Side-Oilers

+3 on why was that other thread locked? I think it's valuable to have a discussion between those who were there (I was too, for the COCOA day where the car was first brought out, but not for the Hot Rod comparison test, because I didn't work for Hot Rod.) 

There have been "ringer" cars from manufacturers ever since the first comparison road test was run. I've gotten them, and I've sent them back to the car company with a note to send me one that's closer to production.

Carroll's projects were a little bit different, in that he was there to modify existing cars for more performance and handling. Whenever he called me to say he had "a new little toy" he was "playin' with" I bee-lined to the Santa Fe Springs facility to check it out.

All sorts of cool things were being tested: Hans Hermann 16-valve heads, variable-nozzle turbos, superchargers, Dodge V8s in a Pantera & Dakota pickup, and some were twin-turbo'ed. It was always a fun and exciting peek into the treasure chest, and he always let me drive the latest to get my opinion, and also (of course) to write a story about.

So, that said, when is a Shelby skunk works vehicle considered a "ringer"? A prototype is a prototype. A work in progress.  But, IMO, a production vehicle is different, and when I worked for him as PR Manager, we did not tweak production cars for magazine tests. Carroll was certain they'd "stand up for themselves." 

That also said, I was not a part of the Hot Rod test, and did not work for Carroll at that time. I have no idea what was stock, or not. But, if the GHLS in question was a prototype for a production car, why not test and compare it? Then, when the production version comes out, test that and ask why there was any difference...if indeed there was. 

Plus, it was a helluva cover story for Hot Rod, and here we are still talking about it 35+ years later. 

Mr. Moderator, please explain why you locked that thread.  I'm sure we'd all appreciate knowing what rules were broken.
Current:
2006 FGT, Tungsten. Whipple, HRE 20s, Ohlin coil-overs. Top Speed Certified 210.7 mph.

Kirkham Cobra 427.  482-inch aluminum side-oiler. Tremec 5-spd.

Previous:
1968 GT500KR #2575 (1982-2022)
1970 Ranchero GT 429
1969 LTD Country Squire 429
1963 T-Bird Sport Roadster
1957 T-Bird E-model

Bill

Quote from: Side-Oilers on May 14, 2024, 04:46:58 PMMr. Moderator, please explain why you locked that thread. 

From what I can see, it is the OP that locked the thread, and not a moderator.

crossboss

Its because the OP could not handle the truth, and had to resort to his usual insults without knowing the facts. Ignorance is bliss to him. AND ego.
Past owned Shelby's:
1968 GT-350--Gold
1970 GT-500--#3129--Grabber Orange.
Current lifelong projects:
1969 Mustang Fastback/FOX chassis, 5 speed, 4 wheel discs, with a modern Can-Am 494 (Boss 429), Kaase heads, intake with a 1425 cfm 'B' Autolite Inline carb, ala Trans-Am style
1968/70 Olds 442 W-30

crossboss

Quote from: 98SVT - was 06GT on May 13, 2024, 07:12:32 PMRE: The 1986 GLHS vs GT350 article.
It was written by Rick Titus. The GLHS used was a normal off the shelf model. However when all the hate mail rolled in to Hot Rod CS decided to send one to the next COCOA Willow Springs event. That car had another 40 hp and cleaned up. I was at both events and penned a couple of the pro letters to the editor that showed up later - yeah another myth blown up. There was one Corvette that had been giving Rick some problems. Typical low talent vintage guy. Slow in the corners but spent enough on the engine so it was a rocketship on the straights. Rick and I were in the car and were all over the guy in the turns but when we'd get to the back or front straight where passing was allowed he'd pull ahead. After a couple laps we went in and RT went into attack mode and eliminated the Vette in short order with my 200 pounds of ballast out of the car.

Yep, I was there also. The Chrysler guys rented 4 garage stalls. Ran the 'ringer' GLHS cars, then immediately put them in the garages, and closed the doors so no one can see what they were doing. They made their point. However, as we all know those cars were far from stock, and NO production GLHS would run that fast.
Past owned Shelby's:
1968 GT-350--Gold
1969 Mustang Fastback/FOX chassis, 5 speed, 4 wheel discs, with a modern Can-Am 494 (Boss 429), Kaase heads, intake with a 1425 cfm 'B' Autolite Inline carb, ala Trans-Am style
1968/70 Olds 442 W-30

98SVT - was 06GT

We must remember that the GT350 had been "upgraded" too. The car was set up and was very competitive vintage racing. The engine was putting out 350-375 hp along with different spring rates and suspension tweaks. Phil Schmit of PS Wheels owned it.
The mere fact that D'Olivo shot it tells you it was an important article for CS and Chrysler as well as generating ad revenue for Petersen.
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang, 1998 SVT 32V, 1929 Model A Coupe, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

TA Coupe

I also was at the COCOA event and those little suckers created a lot of buzz in the pits, especially among the Shelby people. I posted once before, but do any of you know what Carroll said GLHS stood for?

Roy
If it starts it's streetable.
Overkill is just enough.

Side-Oilers

"Goes Like Hot SH!t"

Isn't it funny that we all were there on that day, but didn't know each other then.

It would be fun to find some out-take photos and see who's in the background.  I "may" still have some old B&W proof sheets in some old story envelope somewhere. But, where to look...? 

Scott: Who were you shooting for that day?
Current:
2006 FGT, Tungsten. Whipple, HRE 20s, Ohlin coil-overs. Top Speed Certified 210.7 mph.

Kirkham Cobra 427.  482-inch aluminum side-oiler. Tremec 5-spd.

Previous:
1968 GT500KR #2575 (1982-2022)
1970 Ranchero GT 429
1969 LTD Country Squire 429
1963 T-Bird Sport Roadster
1957 T-Bird E-model

crossboss

Quote from: Side-Oilers on May 14, 2024, 08:15:11 PM"Goes Like Hot SH!t"

Isn't it funny that we all were there on that day, but didn't know each other then.

It would be fun to find some out-take photos and see who's in the background.  I "may" still have some old B&W proof sheets in some old story envelope somewhere. But, where to look...? 

Scott: Who were you shooting for that day?

Van,
I was running my car....a fun day, no work.
Past owned Shelby's:
1968 GT-350--Gold
1968/70 Olds 442 W-30

crossboss

Guys,
Have you noticed, our 'friend' completely deleted his locked thread?
Past owned Shelby's:
1968 GT-350--Gold
1968/70 Olds 442 W-30

Bill

Quote from: crossboss on May 15, 2024, 01:41:04 AMGuys,
Have you noticed, our 'friend' completely deleted his locked thread?

Yet, all you need to do to see the same ego and manipulation is to view that regional subforum, sticky posts to fill the first page, posts deleted, and the same individual posting in response to their own threads because nobody else does. The SAAC guys and Team Shelby guys in his area don't associate with this individual if they can help it, or so I've been told by quite a few on the ground while I was in town two years ago.

Lincoln tech

People don't like what this fool does But still keep answering his posts ???? Why ???? Stop feeding him.

TA Coupe

Side-Oilers, Yep you're right. Told me that at the 1988 SEMA show while we were sharing a sofa on the show room floor and reminiscing about things and he signed and dated some Shelby posters I had brought to sell to a guy that didn't show up. Lucky me.

Roy
If it starts it's streetable.
Overkill is just enough.