News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Tilt away neutural saftey switch

Started by Tomdeg, May 30, 2024, 02:43:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tomdeg

Did the 4 speed cars have a NSS? I'm able to start the car with the steering wheel in the tilt away position.Just curious
Thanks,
Tom

J_Speegle

Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

Tomdeg

Thanks Jeff. So being able to start the car with the wheel away is normal?

Coralsnake

Its not normal, more than likely someone has bypassed your tilt wiring or modified it
The original Influencer, check out www.thecoralsnake.com

J_Speegle

Quote from: Tomdeg on May 30, 2024, 03:16:58 PMThanks Jeff. So being able to start the car with the wheel away is normal?

Steering wheel (tilt) position and what gear the transmission is in when trying to start are two different things

Looks like you need to trouble shoot and investigate the tilt related wiring
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

Coralsnake

There is small switch inside the vacuum motor of the tilt components that should be preventing the car from starting unless the column is straight 

Tomdeg

Thanks, guys.
Yes, I noticed the vacuum motor has a plug with wires but couldn't see where it would plug into.

Royce Peterson

It should plug into the identical plug on the harness or the car will not start. Probably someone did not know how to adjust the vacuum motor so they bypassed it.
1968 Cougar XR-7 GT-E 427 Side Oiler C6 3.50 Detroit Locker
1968 1/2 Cougar XR-7 428CJ Ram Air C6 3.91 Traction Lock

Tomdeg

Was under the dash yesterday and for the life of me, I couldn't find anything that the motor would plug in to. Would it have been a mini harness that would interrupt the wiring from the ignition switch? Does anyone have a picture? Also, the wheel will tilt away when the engine is running and the door opens. Could that also be because the wiring for the motor is bypassed?

Thanks,
Tom

Coralsnake

Yes and yes

In 1968 there is a tilt steering harness

Is there wiring connected to the underdash components?

Tomdeg

Everything is connected except the wires for the vacuum motor. It tilts away when the door opens.

Coralsnake

The switch inside the vacuum motor should be telling the car to start or not. If its bypassed the car will start.

Tomdeg

So it looks like I may be missing the small harness. Any idea where to get one?

Coralsnake

There is no "small" harness.

The tilt harness has provisions for the vacuum motor, relay and solenoidp

Tomdeg

So after a little more investigating, I found a small jumper wire going to the ignition switch. I checked the vacuum motor with an ohmmeter and the circuit was open when the wheel is in driving position. I'm assuming in that position the circuit should be closed. Is there a way to repair or clean the contacts or does it need to be replaced?