News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

OIL FILL ON A 428 CJ

Started by Steve Meltzer, May 30, 2024, 06:41:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve Meltzer

I am doing the first oil change on my 68 KR since I purchased her in September. I seem to be getting some conflicting information about how many quarts it will take on refill. Apparently, there was a TSB regarding this issue, perhaps in 1970. I even found a blurb about the dipstick part number, but it didn't apply to mine, which is a 6750-A. FROM A PRAGMATIC POINT OF VIEW, I COULD CERTAINLY JUST FILL THE CRANK CASE, CHECKING THE DIPSTICK UNTIL IT GOT TO WHERE I WANTED IT TO BE, BUT THERE SHOULD BE A REPRODUCIBLE ANSWER TO THIS QUESTION. PLEASE INCLUDE INFORMATION ABOUT WHETHER THE VALUE DOES OR DOES NOT INCLUDE THE FILTER. Thanks Steve

Royce Peterson

The aluminum Shelby pan on your GT500 should hold 7 quarts plus the one quart for the filter. So every oil change should require 8 quarts.
1968 Cougar XR-7 GT-E 427 Side Oiler C6 3.50 Detroit Locker
1968 1/2 Cougar XR-7 428CJ Ram Air C6 3.91 Traction Lock

KR Convertible

KRs had the sheet metal oil pan.

Bob Gaines

Quote from: Royce Peterson on May 30, 2024, 07:18:01 PMThe aluminum Shelby pan on your GT500 should hold 7 quarts plus the one quart for the filter. So every oil change should require 8 quarts.
No factory 60's GT500 regardless of year used a aluminum oil pan.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Royce Peterson

Quote from: Bob Gaines on May 30, 2024, 08:31:30 PM
Quote from: Royce Peterson on May 30, 2024, 07:18:01 PMThe aluminum Shelby pan on your GT500 should hold 7 quarts plus the one quart for the filter. So every oil change should require 8 quarts.

If it is the Ford steel oil pan you need 5 quarts including the filter. The TSB only applies to 1969 - 70 engines.
1968 Cougar XR-7 GT-E 427 Side Oiler C6 3.50 Detroit Locker
1968 1/2 Cougar XR-7 428CJ Ram Air C6 3.91 Traction Lock

Bob Gaines

For future reference to save time start first with the owners manual. ;)  Page 55 in this case.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Bob Gaines

Quote from: Royce Peterson on May 30, 2024, 08:52:01 PM

If it is the Ford steel oil pan you need 5 quarts including the filter. The TSB only applies to 1969 - 70 engines.
Just to be crystal clear for those reading, that means 5 qt total . No extra oil is needed for the filter.

Steve Meltzer

Well, my ex-wife often said I was lazy, but in this case, I just didn't know what to believe since I read all the different possibilities on the Internet; the TSB also confused me. And, as you can see from this particular thread, there were even varying opinions among the people who posted on the subject. Mine is a steel pan and thus 5 1/2 quart it is. Thanks again Steve.

Steve Meltzer

NB:  I tried to correct my error of saying "5 1/2 quarts" when I meant "5 quarts". I got it just screwed up there. Thanks Bob. Steve

427heaven

We were all pulling for you, that you could overcome this brain buster... Congratulations! ;)

shelbydoug

Quote from: Bob Gaines on May 30, 2024, 09:59:15 PM
Quote from: Royce Peterson on May 30, 2024, 08:52:01 PM

Just to be crystal clear for those reading, that means 5 qt total . No extra oil is needed for the filter.

Ah! The TSB refers to a "correction" to previous "advice". It is true that completely stock FE's only run 5-1/2 quarts but what happened was Ford started taking too many "waranty hits" with the introduction of the CJ.

"All of a sudden" people thought that they had "race cars" and the oil pans were getting pumped out of oil with not enough capacity.

In the true tradition of Ford's, "lets fix this cheaply", they decided the simple fix was just to add more oil. Not change the oil pans, just change the reading on the dipstick to indicate needing more oil at the original old "full" reading.

In fact, this adding more oil necessitated the introduction of the FE add on windage tray, simply because the oil level was now high enough to have the crankshaft spinning in oil. That was deemed, "not a good idea".

So really the answer to your question is a tricky one. It depends on what model year level that YOU want to run it at?

Two additional points. When you run a 428 at a SAAAC event, it is recommended that you add one additional quart. That is good advice.

Second. There were never any FE cast aluminum Cobra lettered oil pans made for the FE by Ford or Shelby. That was a product of Randy DiLisio's Super 'Stang Shop in the mid 1970's. Those pans will have a SSS moniker cast into them.

Current new versions are available from Tony Branda and have a TDB moniker.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Bob Gaines

Doug has some good information but I am afraid that too much info may be confusing for Steve the OP. For a stock 68 KR not run on the track 5 quarts of oil is what the Ford documentation suggests to use and consequently would be prudent to go by.

Rbwiii

Quote from: Bob Gaines on May 31, 2024, 11:54:29 AMDoug has some good information but I am afraid that too much info may be confusing for Steve the OP. For a stock 68 KR not run on the track 5 quarts of oil is what the Ford documentation suggests to use and consequently would be prudent to go by.

Bob, Steve did not mention this car has an oil cooler. How much additional oil should he add?

Bob Gaines

Quote from: Rbwiii on May 31, 2024, 07:49:55 PM
Quote from: Bob Gaines on May 31, 2024, 11:54:29 AMDoug has some good information but I am afraid that too much info may be confusing for Steve the OP. For a stock 68 KR not run on the track 5 quarts of oil is what the Ford documentation suggests to use and consequently would be prudent to go by.

Bob, Steve did not mention this car has an oil cooler. How much additional oil should he add?
Good question. Only A/C 67 and 68 GT500 cars received the oil cooler plus a extra short Fram oil filter(from the factory) for ground clearance. The shorter yet same diameter oil filter used on this special application has a decreased oil capacity compared to a typical stock FL1 oil filter. There is not a listing for the extra capacity that the oil cooler and lines adds in any Ford documentation that I am aware of. I would start with a half a quart then run the engine and re check. Add oil if any as needed. Of course things are dependent on if you use the short filter like factory on the A/C application or the longer filter.