News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

1966 GT350 GAS CAP

Started by outlawincorporated, June 01, 2024, 01:19:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

outlawincorporated

Wondering what others have seen or found over there journey.
what markings/stampings if any would you expect to see on the back of any original 1966 GT350 gas cap.

look forward to your replies
regards

PHILL BERESFORD
MELBOURNE.
AUSTRALIA.

J_Speegle

For originals I've got pictures of the Stant mark surrounded by two circles one in side of the other - Initials in the center. Can't post a picture right at the moment  :(
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

GT350Lad

Hi, both my presumed originals have SM in some kind of circle logo
Here is a pic

I am sure someone has a better one

6S373
6S1276

Bob Gaines

Quote from: J_Speegle on June 01, 2024, 02:15:12 AMFor originals I've got pictures of the Stant mark surrounded by two circles one in side of the other - Initials in the center. Can't post a picture right at the moment  :(
Stant trademark is what I have seen too.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

GT350Lad

6S373
6S1276

Bob Gaines

Another thing that I have noticed on assemblyline GT350 caps is a distinct gold tint to the ring in the on the outside edge of the emblem design. All of the service NOS caps I have ever seen had only a silver ring.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Bob Gaines

I have not always seen the Stant trademark in the same place and sometimes it is under the gasket where you might only see the outside edge of what you know to be the trademark but it is obscured by the gasket.Others no doubt can be completely obscured. The ones that are clearly seen are the very desirable ones.

s2ms

Hi Phill,

Some good discussion and photos here:

https://www.saac.com/forum/index.php?topic=14902

https://www.saac.com/forum/index.php?topic=9124

FWIW in my observations the early service parts have the same small vent hole as originals but are missing the Stant Mfg mark.

Dave
Dave - 6S1757

deathsled

The stamp is very imperceptible on mine. Gold foil is more apparent.
"Low she sits on five spoke wheels
Small block eight so live she feels
There she's parked beside the curb
Engine revving to disturb
She's the princess from his past
Red paint gold stripes damned she's fast"

Brant

Something to consider about the gold color...discoloration from gas/gas fumes over the years maybe.
-Brant

www.VirginiaClassicMustang.com

Subscribe to our Blog for the latest updates restoration projects and new parts information for 64 1/2-73 Mustangs!  http://blog.virginiaclassicmustang.com/

Like us on Facebook!  www.Facebook.com/VirginiaClassicMustang

Bob Gaines

Quote from: Brant on June 12, 2024, 05:18:19 PMSomething to consider about the gold color...discoloration from gas/gas fumes over the years maybe.
I have heard that and similar explanations for the tint for decades.  ;) I have observed many of the gold tint on survivor cars over the years however I wasn't a observer in 1966 when the cars were new. I started my Shelby fastination in 1969. After I saw a early service NOS unit that had the gold tint and of course since it never was on a car apparently the gas fume causing the tint explanation was invalidated. The first time I noticed the gold tint and reported it to other of my peers was in the mid 80's .That was when the 66's were only 20 years or so old. If that discoloration was a typical symptom of age and exposure by now we would see many more replacement silver ring examples changing by now. It was for these reasons that caused me to have my point of view. At least those are the reasons why I have a high confidence level that many if not all of the assemblyline caps had the gold tint when new.

s2ms

Quote from: Bob Gaines on June 12, 2024, 06:02:39 PMI have heard that and similar explanations for the tint for decades.  ;) I have observed many of the gold tint on survivor cars over the years however I wasn't a observer in 1966 when the cars were new. I started my Shelby fastination in 1969. After I saw a early service NOS unit that had the gold tint and of course since it never was on a car apparently the gas fume causing the tint explanation was invalidated. The first time I noticed the gold tint and reported it to other of my peers was in the mid 80's .That was when the 66's were only 20 years or so old. If that discoloration was a typical symptom of age and exposure by now we would see many more replacement silver ring examples changing by now. It was for these reasons that caused me to have my point of view. At least those are the reasons why I have a high confidence level that many if not all of the assemblyline caps had the gold tint when new.

Personally I believe the jury is still out on the gold tint thing. I first noticed this in the late 80's, and initially was convinced it was intentional, mainly because every original I saw had the tint, but none of the (later) service replacements or repops did. Now I've flipped to thinking it's more likely caused by environmental factors, sun exposure, gas fumes, etc., for the same reasons as Bob, but the opposite conclusion.  I have two early NOS caps, one is period or very early with the small vent hole and SMCo stamped logo, the other is slightly later, small vent hole but no logo. Neither has any evidence of gold tint, and tint-wise, look exactly like the later service cap I have.
Dave - 6S1757

Bob Gaines

Although I have a high confidence level that the gold tint is representative of a assemblyline cap it is not 100%. In good conscience I could not and have never given deductions in concours for caps that did not have the gold tint.

deathsled

My thought is that the gold tint is uniform throughout the foil (it is on mine anyway).    I would think that gas fumes or other petroleum intrusion would cause a hit and miss on the gold tint.  It would be gold in spots and silver in others, faded in some areas and clear silver in still others.  If anything it would be the clear plastic that would change color of the cap due to fumes and/ or petroleum liquid contaminating the cap and not necessarily the gold trim around the cobra. 
"Low she sits on five spoke wheels
Small block eight so live she feels
There she's parked beside the curb
Engine revving to disturb
She's the princess from his past
Red paint gold stripes damned she's fast"

Bob Gaines

Quote from: deathsled on June 13, 2024, 09:32:45 PMMy thought is that the gold tint is uniform throughout the foil (it is on mine anyway).    I would think that gas fumes or other petroleum intrusion would cause a hit and miss on the gold tint.  It would be gold in spots and silver in others, faded in some areas and clear silver in still others.  If anything it would be the clear plastic that would change color of the cap due to fumes and/ or petroleum liquid contaminating the cap and not necessarily the gold trim around the cobra. 
The ones that I have seen were consistent shade all around too. Some good logical points Pilgrim. :)