News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Checkered Flag Mr Rufus Parnell "Parnelli" Jones

Started by FL SAAC, June 04, 2024, 08:52:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FL SAAC

Rufus Parnell "Parnelli" Jones

August 12, 1933 – June 4, 2024 R. I. P.

was an American former professional racing driver and racing team owner. He is notable for his accomplishments while competing in the Indianapolis 500 and the Baja 1000 desert race, and the Trans-Am Championship series.

In 1962, he became the first driver to qualify over 150 mph. He won the race in 1963, then famously broke down while leading the 1967 race with three laps to go in a turbine car.

During his career as an owner, he won the Indy 500 in 1970–1971 with driver Al Unser.
When you arise in the morning, think of what a precious privilege it is to be alive to breathe, to think, to enjoy, to love. ~
Marcus Aurelius

"Home of the "Amazing Hertz 3 + 1 Musketeers"

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

propayne

If someone tells you P.J. never won a race in his BME Cougar don't believe them.

Rest in peace Parnelli Jones.

- Phillip

President, Delmarva Cougar Club - Brand Manager, Cougar Club of America

98SVT - was 06GT

Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang, 1998 SVT 32V, 1929 Model A Coupe, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

FL SAAC

Quote from: propayne on June 04, 2024, 08:55:42 PMIf someone tells you P.J. never won a race in his BME Cougar don't believe them.

Rest in peace Parnelli Jones.

- Phillip

Big plus one little buddy

Parnelli was the man !
When you arise in the morning, think of what a precious privilege it is to be alive to breathe, to think, to enjoy, to love. ~
Marcus Aurelius

I have all UNGOLD cars

FL SAAC

The Southern Gentleman Parnelli Jones, one of the toughest, fastest, most determined and versatile drivers to ever grace motorsports

Rest in peace
Marcus Aurelius

I have all UNGOLD cars

Royce Peterson

I went to the Trans Am reunion the first year it was held. It was held at the Petersen Museum in Los Angeles. Dan Gurney was the keynote speaker. The first thing Dan Said "There is one driver here who was clearly the best of all of us. He is Parnelli Jones".

RIP Parnelli.   
1968 Cougar XR-7 GT-E 427 Side Oiler C6 3.50 Detroit Locker
1968 1/2 Cougar XR-7 428CJ Ram Air C6 3.91 Traction Lock

mark p

Another sad day  :'(
(and as a long-time purveyor of sarcasm... I loved the book title and sentiment)
"I don't know what the world may need, but a V8 engine's a good start for me" (from Teen Angst by the band "Cracker")

66 Tiger / 65 Thunderbird / '22 Mach 1

propayne

President, Delmarva Cougar Club - Brand Manager, Cougar Club of America

deathsled

RIP Parnelli. His autograph lives on in my living room.
"Low she sits on five spoke wheels
Small block eight so live she feels
There she's parked beside the curb
Engine revving to disturb
She's the princess from his past
Red paint gold stripes damned she's fast"

TA Coupe

Quote from: Royce Peterson on June 05, 2024, 12:05:03 PMI went to the Trans Am reunion the first year it was held. It was held at the Petersen Museum in Los Angeles. Dan Gurney was the keynote speaker. The first thing Dan Said "There is one driver here who was clearly the best of all of us. He is Parnelli Jones".

RIP Parnelli.   

First Trans Am reunion was actually at Sears Point long before the Peterson event. I was at both and have pictures from Sears Point event and I think a tee-shirt also. I have pictures of the cars poised on track.

Roy
If it starts it's streetable.
Overkill is just enough.

Royce Peterson

The one at the Petersen (correct spelling) was advertised as the first so I assume it was. What you went to I don't know.

98SVT - was 06GT

There was a "first" one at Sears and a "first" one at the Petersen - There was also a "first" reunion with the drivers and cars on a track and another "first" one at Monterey for the drivers and cars ...........
My wife grew up going to Ascot. PJ was not her favorite driver. Too many ended up bent or broken when he passed or when they were trying to get around him.
Folmer and PJ guest drove for Saleen in the showroom stock series. Rick Titus said PJ told him if someone was in the way just hit em. Rick asked in practice? PJ assured him if he hit them in practice they would leap out of the way during the race.
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang, 1998 SVT 32V, 1929 Model A Coupe, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

deathsled

"Low she sits on five spoke wheels
Small block eight so live she feels
There she's parked beside the curb
Engine revving to disturb
She's the princess from his past
Red paint gold stripes damned she's fast"

TA Coupe

Royce Peterson

June 05, 2024, 07:35:34 PM
The one at the Petersen (correct spelling) was advertised as the first so I assume it was. What you went to I don't know.

I was at the Petersen museum Trans Am reunion in 2009 and the FIRST TRANS AM reunion at Sears Point in 1989.

Roy
If it starts it's streetable.
Overkill is just enough.

Royce Peterson

The Petersen Museum event I went to was in 1998 - long before the one you went to. It was pretty good. A collection of vintage TA cars were there and we had a fine dinner. Dan and Parnelli were outstanding.