News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

67 GT500 oil cooler adapter extension fitting

Started by shelbydoug, June 06, 2024, 11:23:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

shelbydoug

Three of them would hang out with me while I was working under the car.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

shelbydoug

I found mine. It's always in the last place that you look...but why would you keep looking after...?

A couple of comments on the ebay part. First off, that is Perogie. They sell under three or four names that I know of.

The two blue adapter fittings are not original equipment. Those are AN fittings Originals came two ways, silver cad steel or brass. I'm pretty sure the originals are 45 degree SAE flares and I know that the AN are 37 degree. So you have to match the hose ends to those fittings.

I'm not sure where that gasket is from? On mine, the gasket is one from a Fram oil filer. You just pull one off a filter, and that is it. It is only 3/16" wide and fits into a machined groove in the doughnut.

The one in the Ebay picture seems much wider?

Those adapters are quite rare so I can't speak to the possibility that there are different versions, but with Ford, who would know for sure?
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

shelbydoug

The doughnut and the adapter are the tough parts to find. If you want them, you really can't argue much about the price.

I do recall that Craig Connelly at Paradise Wheels did a project thirty or forty years ago offering an entire kit.

I remember lending him my doughnut to copy back then.

I couldn't tell if these parts are original or repro's. The big gasket makes me suspicious though?

I do find it very unusual that a "take off" would come with "original Ford packaging" though. That IS very unique for me? Somewhat of a very strange coincidence?
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Bob Gaines

The wide gasket is correct. That is what I have always seen as original. Other gaskets can be made to work even form a gasket can work in its place. The wide gasket side is the side that goes up against the oil filter adapter. The other side that doesn't have a gasket is the side that the oil filter screws up against . The oil filter of course has a thin round gasket that comes with it.  That oil filter gasket seals to the donut. I installed one yesterday.   
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

shelbydoug

Quote from: Bob Gaines on July 22, 2024, 12:24:08 PMThe wide gasket is correct. That is what I have always seen as original. Other gaskets can be made to work even form a gasket can work in its place. The wide gasket side is the side that goes up against the oil filter adapter. The other side that doesn't have a gasket is the side that the oil filter screws up against . The oil filter of course has a thin round gasket that comes with it.  That oil filter gasket seals to the donut. I installed one yesterday. 

Hum? Interesting. I haven't seen enough of the doughnuts to argue other then to say my gasket is not wide like that. It literally is the rubber gasket from an oil filter.

I know mine is not a reproduction so I must assume that there is more then one version? I just reinstalled it about 10 days ago.

On my Boss 302 adapter, there is a stamped metal gasket between the block and the adapter that I leave off because it tends to leak. The adapter with no gasket does not leak.

It is not crushable like the brake line crushable metal washers.

The Econoline adapter", which I just sold, uses a different gasket. It is sort of a sunburst design and it is compressible cork and that one seemed impossible to get tight enough and would always drip for me.

I think that I see a definite pattern here? Those gaskets and I don't get along. Some kind of a bad blood thing? So best take someone else's advice on them. I obviously have had a witches hex put on me with them.

It's not the first time?:D
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Bob Gaines

The wide gasket is what came on the cars originally I believe but as you found out the oil filter gasket makes a perfect alternative substitute. I have used those before too.  Heck I have even used form a gasket silicone before instead of a rubber gasket and it worked well. At the end of the day it doesn't matter what you use as long as it doesn't leak.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Bob Gaines

Besides it is not like it can be seen from the outside once installed whether you use the factory style gasket or a alternative . ;)

shelbydoug

Quote from: Bob Gaines on July 22, 2024, 02:57:36 PMBesides it is not like it can be seen from the outside once installed whether you use the factory style gasket or a alternative . ;)

I agree. I'm just stating that mine in machined for the oil filter gasket and I think that it is mentioned as the source if you look at the Ford "Off Highway Parts" book?

I'd rather source the oil filter gasket then have to pay someone $1,000, for an original in a Ford Service package?

The dam things are a big enough pain to begin with to get right.

I'm thinking though that at some point someone internally discovered that using the oil filter gasket was a pretty good substitute and made a simple switch in machining specs on the doughnut and didn't bother to explain to any of us pions? We after all were always considered sub-human and who cares what we think?

Somewhat of a familiar story at Ford for sure.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Bob Gaines

Quote from: shelbydoug on July 22, 2024, 03:26:32 PM
Quote from: Bob Gaines on July 22, 2024, 02:57:36 PMBesides it is not like it can be seen from the outside once installed whether you use the factory style gasket or a alternative . ;)

I agree. I'm just stating that mine in machined for the oil filter gasket and I think that it is mentioned as the source if you look at the Ford "Off Highway Parts" book?

I'd rather source the oil filter gasket then have to pay someone $1,000, for an original in a Ford Service package?

The dam things are a big enough pain to begin with to get right.

I'm thinking though that at some point someone internally discovered that using the oil filter gasket was a pretty good substitute and made a simple switch in machining specs on the doughnut and didn't bother to explain to any of us pions? We after all were always considered sub-human and who cares what we think?

Somewhat of a familiar story at Ford for sure.
I may be mistaken but I only remember the ones machined on one side with a groove like that . The wide gasket is made with a positive round channel into its form on one side so that it fits into that machined channel. That makes it hard to mount it off center.

shelbydoug

I am ALMOST considering removing it so we compare what we both have? Almost. I must have been drinking some of that happy juice again?
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Bob Gaines

Quote from: shelbydoug on July 22, 2024, 04:31:07 PMI am ALMOST considering removing it so we compare what we both have? Almost. I must have been drinking some of that happy juice again?
That's a good thing because I am definitely not removing mine again just to satisfy your curiosity  :D . I removed it to get to a fuel pump for replacement. I just want to forget that experience. ;)  What a PITA.  ::)

shelbydoug

Quote from: Bob Gaines on July 22, 2024, 06:22:11 PM
Quote from: shelbydoug on July 22, 2024, 04:31:07 PMI am ALMOST considering removing it so we compare what we both have? Almost. I must have been drinking some of that happy juice again?
That's a good thing because I am definitely not removing mine again just to satisfy your curiosity  :D . I removed it to get to a fuel pump for replacement. I just want to forget that experience. ;)  What a PITA.  ::)

PITA is a very fair description but you would not be satisfying my curiosity. It is the millions of followers that hang on every word that we post.  8)
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

shelbydoug

The doughnut gasket in this picture is the same as the one on my doughnut. It is the square edge o-ring from the oil filter.

The one in the ebay auction appears much wider.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!