News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

New member - 69 GT500

Started by 67427, June 08, 2024, 12:41:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

#774  Acapulco Blue. Have owned it for more than 30 years. Totally redone, but looking for an instrument cluster bezel. Resident in Ft. Lauderdale. For the clock, is there a consensus whether to go quartz or staying with the electric original?

Bob Gaines

Quote from: 67427 on June 08, 2024, 12:41:15 AM#774  Acapulco Blue. Have owned it for more than 30 years. Totally redone, but looking for an instrument cluster bezel. Resident in Ft. Lauderdale. For the clock, is there a consensus whether to go quartz or staying with the electric original?
The consensus among my peers that I am aware of is that if you want to set it and forget it go with the quartz. The movement of the second hand is easily identifiable as not original with a quartz movement however. If that neiance original detail doesn't matter to you then go with the quartz movement. The original clock movement can be cleaned and lubricated for a better chance of it continuously working for decades to come. If using the original movement the surest way to shorten the life of the clock movement is to let the battery go dead or almost dead. When the voltage gets low enough the contacts will not open or close all of the way and instead arc continuously consequently burning the contact points that have to do with the clock periodically rewinding. This is different then if you disconnect the battery which does not allow the partial opening of contact points and consequent electrical arcing. By disconnecting the battery the clock will simple stop without consequence once the mechanism winds down.  Of course none of that with the quartz movement so no corresponding problems if the battery goes dead.   
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

shelbymann1970

If you go with a repo bezel please paint the inside ring Argent by the plastic gauge clear bezels . The repos are chrome as they don't paint them. Seen it too many times. Both my 55 year old clocks work good in my 2 "69" cars. Curious as to how my 68 clock will work since it has been sitting for 51 years dormant now. I like the factory clock movement. 
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990
1970 GT350 4 speed(owned since 1985).
  MCA gold 2003(not anymore)
1969 Mach1 428SCJ 4 speed R-code (owned since 2013)
"2nd" owner of 68 GT500 #1626

Thank you both for the responses, not to abuse my welcome, but with respect to the use of a quartz movement, does that make you lose points in judging? How picky are the judges? I have a 67 corvette and the judges have gotten under the car and checked bolts in the grill and radiator area.

Coralsnake

You would likely have a notation and not loose points points in SAAC concours venue. If points were deducted they would be very minor.
The original Influencer, check out www.thecoralsnake.com

CompRed70scj

Quote from: shelbymann1970 on June 08, 2024, 02:35:39 PMIf you go with a repo bezel please paint the inside ring Argent by the plastic gauge clear bezels . The repos are chrome as they don't paint them. Seen it too many times. Both my 55 year old clocks work good in my 2 "69" cars. Curious as to how my 68 clock will work since it has been sitting for 51 years dormant now. I like the factory clock movement. 

Yes - painting that ring is necessary. But very difficult! At least for me. I've done it but it took almost a week of back-and-forth, touch ups, etc.

thanks to all who took the time, much appreciated

greggadams

If you want to sell it let me know . I have been looking for Acapulco blue 69. 770-842-5383

Bill

Quote from: greggadams on August 28, 2024, 04:40:00 PMIf you want to sell it let me know . I have been looking for Acapulco blue 69.

That is just poor taste.

Instead of being part of the problem, be part of a successful solution.
HOW TO IDENTIFY A FORUM TROLL
https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=16401.0