News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Taking the old man for a drive

Started by deathsled, June 12, 2024, 11:07:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

98SVT - was 06GT

This forum still needs a like button......
My dad would ride with me no problem but didn't want to go flying with me after a friend of his had crashed.
I don't have any photos of my dad's midget but have one of gramps on his Excelsior.
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang, 1998 SVT 32V, 1929 Model A Coupe, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

Hipo-Fred

Good on you for taking dad for a ride ... love the shirt!  ;)

Fred

KR500

Great for you and him. My dad would have been just short of 95 now. He was a car and motorcycle guy just like me,(or I like him). He had a few Indian's back in his youth. I really never got to take my dad out in our KR, but my wife took him for a short drive in it once at an INSAAC Spring Fling. She has a 68 GT/CS with manual drum brakes. So she gets in the KR with my dad as the passenger and comes to the first stop and steps on the brakes hard as she would in her GT/CS. Damn near launches him into the dash! Now my dad was not the quite type and was usually pretty loud. But his only comment to her was "the brakes work good".
Rodney Harrold,Ohio SAAC Rep,SAAC 68 Shelby Concourse Judge,68 GT500KR 02267

Steve McDonald Formally known as Mcdonas

Enjoy every moment with your dad. Lost mine way too soon. He used to "borrow" my GT350 occasionally. He liked his Lincoln better. I did get a chance to drive a WWII Vet last Veterans Day in the Washington DC Parade. He was a Mustang enthusiast and a hoot to drive around
Owned since 1971, NOW DRIVEN OVER 250,000 MILES, makes me smile every time I drive it and it makes me feel 21 again.😎

shelbydoug

Well riding in it and driving it are two remarkably different experiences.  :)
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

deathsled

Quote from: 98SVT - was 06GT on June 13, 2024, 02:54:15 PMThis forum still needs a like button......
My dad would ride with me no problem but didn't want to go flying with me after a friend of his had crashed.
I don't have any photos of my dad's midget but have one of gramps on his Excelsior.
So the membership expired in September of 1914.  Wow!  Long long time ago!
"Low she sits on five spoke wheels
Small block eight so live she feels
There she's parked beside the curb
Engine revving to disturb
She's the princess from his past
Red paint gold stripes damned she's fast"

deathsled

Quote from: shelbydoug on June 13, 2024, 07:58:18 PMWell riding in it and driving it are two remarkably different experiences.  :)
Letting him drive it now would be a frightful experience.  Plus it would create insurance issues in the event of a wreck.  No valid license. And and and...

shelbydoug

Ironic how memory is so convenient?

I remember the first time I took my 5 year olds training wheels off of his bike. He promptly crashed into the rear of my neighbors car and broke the taillight.

In fact, I remember waking up on the couch with our doctor staring me in the face with my Mom in close attendance. Apparently I attempted to do a handstand on my 'Hop-a-long-Cassify' bike and fell off hitting my head on a telephone pole.

No I wasn't 18. I was 5 but I suspect that un-diagnosed brain damage there would explain a lot now?

MY Driver's License is still valid but I was just looking at a 6R80 automatic transmission to replace the 'stick'. Hum? That left leg is draggin' a little?
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

GeotechDuck

Quote from: deathsled on June 12, 2024, 11:07:08 PMHe's ninety-six now and barely goes outside.  I was able to get him to go for a brief drive.  He enjoyed the rumble of the engine thoroughly.

This is awesome!
1966 Shelby GT 350H / 2008 Shelby GT

6s341

Very cool that you can enjoy a drive with your dad like that...and cool shirt too!  Thanks for sharing!

67 GT350

My father never cared...Never did anything to a car except drive it into the ground...How did I ever get into cars? Mind boggling. Nice to too that!!!
RARE  Signature Delete

deathsled

He's still ticking along.  Took him for a haircut today.  He is still sharp but his hearing is really gone.  Glad he is here.

FL SAAC

Quote from: deathsled on July 13, 2024, 10:32:25 PMHe's still ticking along.  Took him for a haircut today.  He is still sharp but his hearing is really gone.  Glad he is here.

use the limited tine we have on earth with  him

cause all we have in the end is memories
When you arise in the morning, think of what a precious privilege it is to be alive to breathe, to think, to enjoy, to love. ~
Marcus Aurelius

"Home of the "Amazing Hertz 3 + 1 Musketeers"

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert