News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Taking the old man for a drive

Started by deathsled, June 12, 2024, 11:07:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deathsled

He's ninety-six now and barely goes outside.  I was able to get him to go for a brief drive.  He enjoyed the rumble of the engine thoroughly.
"Low she sits on five spoke wheels
Small block eight so live she feels
There she's parked beside the curb
Engine revving to disturb
She's the princess from his past
Red paint gold stripes damned she's fast"

shelbydoug

God bless. I wish you many more.

My Dad never felt comfortable with me driving. I can't imagine why?  ::)
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

JD

'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

Corey Bowcutt

greekz

SFM 6S1134  '67 GT-350 #2339

deathsled

Quote from: shelbydoug on June 13, 2024, 08:14:59 AMGod bless. I wish you many more.

My Dad never felt comfortable with me driving. I can't imagine why?  ::)
I can't imagine either. All reasonable inferences drawn, judging by your lineup of cars in your stable.

FL SAAC

Quote from: deathsled on June 12, 2024, 11:07:08 PMHe's ninety-six now and barely goes outside.  I was able to get him to go for a brief drive.  He enjoyed the rumble of the engine thoroughly.

Mr.E "You will be blessed beyond measure"
When you arise in the morning, think of what a precious privilege it is to be alive to breathe, to think, to enjoy, to love. ~
Marcus Aurelius

"Home of the "Amazing Hertz 3 + 1 Musketeers"

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

GT350Lad

Very cool. Great work
Thanks for sharing
6S373
6S1276

shelbydoug

He drove my 68 GT350 once and drove it like an Army truck. He would double clutch everything. He couldn't get used to the concept of synchromesh transmissions?
He did ask what the matter was with my engine? Why it made those noises?

Sometimes there is just nothing that you can say? Kind of like what "wifey" hits you with all the time?

I would say that my wife is in that same school as being uncomfortable with me driving.

She grabbed the padded dash in front of the passenger seat and held on for life. I swear you can still see the fingernail indentations?

I don't get it? It was only 5,500 in 4th. 115mph? So what's the biggie?

That was 35 years ago and she won't ride in the car with me anymore.

I've often been accused of or more correctly asked why I make faces? I wonder if I was the model for the "Portrait of Dorian Grey"? Is that concerning to a passenger?

I do find these cars more then somewhat of a time machine. I often feel more youthful after a drive in one. I hope that your Dad does also. To me it is one of the inexplicable things that happen in life that enriches it?

Some understand that. Others never will. Maybe it's that they never could? "Missing some sort of geno in their DNA?

Perhaps that's why even at my age I get accused of being SO immature? You think?  8)
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

deathsled

Quote from: shelbydoug on June 13, 2024, 10:12:14 AMHe drove my 68 GT350 once and drove it like an Army truck. He would double clutch everything. He couldn't get used to the concept of synchromesh transmissions?
He did ask what the matter was with my engine? Why it made those noises?

Sometimes there is just nothing that you can say? Kind of like what "wifey" hits you with all the time?

I would say that my wife is in that same school as being uncomfortable with me driving.

She grabbed the padded dash in front of the passenger seat and held on for life. I swear you can still see the fingernail indentations?

I don't get it? It was only 5,500 in 4th. 115mph? So what's the biggie?

That was 35 years ago and she won't ride in the car with me anymore.

I've often been accused of or more correctly asked why I make faces? I wonder if I was the model for the "Portrait of Dorian Grey"? Is that concerning to a passenger?

I do find these cars more then somewhat of a time machine. I often feel more youthful after a drive in one. I hope that your Dad does also. To me it is one of the inexplicable things that happen in life that enriches it?

Some understand that. Others never will. Maybe it's that they never could? "Missing some sort of geno in their DNA?

Perhaps that's why even at my age I get accused of being SO immature? You think?  8)

Since I am not a pathfinder in philosophy, I can only quote one of the Roman senators (Seneca) who said it best:
Seneca — 'Hang on to your youthful enthusiasms -- you'll be able to use them better when you're older.'

6s855

When my wife and I were married, my salary-challenged job meant my 68 TVR Tuscan was our only car to commute in.  I told her that when she was driving she must continue my streak of never losing a street race, especially against any GM infidels.  Hot blond in a sports car got lots of attention, but she performed admirably.  Streak stayed intact.  I'm a lucky man.

KR Convertible

Take him out as often as you can and make the most of them.  Any trip could be
the last and you won't know which one until it's too late.  Wish my dad was around to go for ride!!

mark p

Good stuff - I agree that you are lucky to still have him around and get to go for a ride.

I tell the [100% true] story of a ride with my Dad in the Tiger... probably close to 40 years ago.
We were headed home from lunch at my brother's house... the Ladies were going shopping in Mom & Dad's car - so I was taking Dad home. It was one of our "Three Hs" days in the summer - Hazy Hot Humid.
We're riding with the top down. Sitting at a red light. Baking in the sun and from the engine/exhaust heat.
Dad looks over at me and asks, "... and this is fun?" ???
(yesterday would have been his 97th birthday)
Later I thought how ridiculous his comment was - since his only mode of transportation "back in the day" was 2-wheeled stuff from Indian  :o
"I don't know what the world may need, but a V8 engine's a good start for me" (from Teen Angst by the band "Cracker")

66 Tiger / 65 Thunderbird / '22 Mach 1

deathsled

Quote from: mark p on June 13, 2024, 01:09:21 PMGood stuff - I agree that you are lucky to still have him around and get to go for a ride.

I tell the [100% true] story of a ride with my Dad in the Tiger... probably close to 40 years ago.
We were headed home from lunch at my brother's house... the Ladies were going shopping in Mom & Dad's car - so I was taking Dad home. It was one of our "Three Hs" days in the summer - Hazy Hot Humid.
We're riding with the top down. Sitting at a red light. Baking in the sun and from the engine/exhaust heat.
Dad looks over at me and asks, "... and this is fun?" ???
(yesterday would have been his 97th birthday)
Later I thought how ridiculous his comment was - since his only mode of transportation "back in the day" was 2-wheeled stuff from Indian  :o
Indians are cool.  My dad had a red 46 with a side car.  He rode out to California in it back in the 50s.  Would have been an interesting time to be a young adult.

mark p

My Dad had 2 or 3 -maybe more(?) Indians over the course of time - the mid-40's to mid-50's.
We only have this photo for evidence, the story is that he sold this one to buy the engagement ring for my Mom.
"I don't know what the world may need, but a V8 engine's a good start for me" (from Teen Angst by the band "Cracker")

66 Tiger / 65 Thunderbird / '22 Mach 1