News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

69 GT500 gas cap

Started by kasearch@ix.netcom.com, June 17, 2024, 09:22:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kasearch@ix.netcom.com

+-Can someone post a picture of the correct gas  cap for a 69 GT500. Is it a vented or non-vent cap. Thank you

Coralsnake

The original Influencer, check out www.thecoralsnake.com

TOBKOB

Pre-recall or post-recall???   ;)

TOB
1969 GT350 owned since 1970

Bob Gaines

Quote from: kasearch@ix.netcom.com on June 17, 2024, 09:22:06 AM+-Can someone post a picture of the correct gas  cap for a 69 GT500. Is it a vented or non-vent cap. Thank you
The most typical assemblyline cap was one marked vented. A cap that was marked non vented was used to satisfy a recall on GT500's .The assemblyline cap that was marked vented could also be modified according to factory documentation to render it non vented to satisfy the recall specifications. In concours ether is accepted given a vented cap can not be tested on the show field to prove it has had the modification done or not.  Regardless a owner of a GT500 should be prudent and not drive a 69/70 GT500 unless a proper non vented type cap is in use. That is unless you want to run the risk of being that guy that the fire happens to. ;)
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

cob428

OK does anyone have a picture of the non-vented cap?

Pete

J_Speegle

Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

cob428

Jeff I see a lot of Motorcraft non-vented caps for 1970 , would that be a correct cap for the recall or does it have to be an Autolite cap?

Pete

Bob Gaines

The one Jeff posted may have been used however it is a later version as I have not come across it before on a 69/70 Shelby but given the Autolite trademark it was probably a later 69 or 70 version. The most common Non Vented Version I have seen looks exactly like the one in the second post that Coralsnake posted except it has a "Non Vented" Non on top and vented underneath on the opposite side .That style was used at least through early 1970. I will post a picture later.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Bob Gaines

It would be a tough sell to make the argument that the Motorcraft marked cap would be original to the car in anyway. Of course if one had some recall documentation that the non vented modification was done in the 70's sometime a case could be made. In concours the expectation would be to present the car like it would have been delivered to the first owner when new. That expectation extends to a reasonable time after production ended for that year. In the case of the recall that would include "typical" recall modifications. A Motorcraft marked cap would fall outside the typical expectations IMO.

J_Speegle

Quote from: Bob Gaines on June 24, 2024, 08:10:34 PMThe one Jeff posted may have been used however it is a later version as I have not come across it before on a 69/70 Shelby but given the Autolite trademark it was probably a later 69 or 70 version. ..............

Is this the style/type you usually find on the cars you've seen

Worry not great picture by you can make out the first "NO" and the last of the printing "TED"

The version Pete posted has features of both the non vented ones I posted

Guess if I needed one, I would be checking with the 69 Cougar guys as well as some of the other Ford/mercury products that had the gas filler covered with the rear license plate
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

Special Ed

jeff photo is correct not vented E F  emerson fuller cap for the gt500 recall  pete photo is correct for gt350 and gt500 that never got the recall done.

Bob Gaines

Quote from: J_Speegle on June 24, 2024, 08:37:13 PM
Quote from: Bob Gaines on June 24, 2024, 08:10:34 PMThe one Jeff posted may have been used however it is a later version as I have not come across it before on a 69/70 Shelby but given the Autolite trademark it was probably a later 69 or 70 version. ..............

Is this the style/type you usually find on the cars you've seen

Worry not great picture by you can make out the first "NO" and the last of the printing "TED"

The version Pete posted has features of both the non vented ones I posted

Guess if I needed one, I would be checking with the 69 Cougar guys as well as some of the other Ford/mercury products that had the gas filler covered with the rear license plate
Yes Jeff that is like the ones that I have seen.Thanks for posting the picture.

Bob Gaines

Here is a clearer picture of the stamping.