News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

driveshaft reconditioning

Started by cob428, June 17, 2024, 04:19:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cob428

Now that Dead Nuts has discontinued this service, is there anyone else that is doing reconditioning?

Pete

6s1640

Depends what you want to do.  There should be a local drive shaft shop that can rebuild your drive shaft, but it will not be concourse, but would be functional.  For one thing, the counter weights won't be right, but if you fabricate a variability of weights that look OEM, they might work with you.  If you want a part number sprayed onto the shaft, you will have to make your own stencil.  My son has a device that makes stencils if you need help.

Best of luck

Cory

aj

Cob,  sent you a PM about some driveshaft weights.

cob428

Harris Speedster

About 9 years ago Big Jim Cowles sent me over a "complete driveshaft, correct ends, ujoints, input shaft and color coded, any ideas about who ?
Also;
I can kick myself for not keeping an ad for a complete driveshafts, yolk, color coded etc, $500. complete plus $70. shipping & Ins
I need one for my black 67 early 350/ many parts were stolen and or purposely damaged. My old buddy C Brown knew what happened.

Bob, my 67 has an original 66 cobra pan, and other oddities.
Leave it off and sell/trade off ?
I guess as some say, I will have an un-Gold car.
Thanks,
John
Is this the first futuristic exotic in the world?
Size of an ac cobra, but built in 1935 !
https://www.autopuzzles.com/forum/features-stories-and-photos/harris-fwd-speedster-the-story/?PHPSESSID=v4pqtv6hep4ff4rvalrc9qsnj7

FL SAAC

Quote from: Harris Speedster on June 18, 2024, 08:17:06 AMAbout 9 years ago Big Jim Cowles sent me over a "complete driveshaft, correct ends, ujoints, input shaft and color coded, any ideas about who ?
Also;
I can kick myself for not keeping an ad for a complete driveshafts, yolk, color coded etc, $500. complete plus $70. shipping & Ins
I need one for my black 67 early 350/ many parts were stolen and or purposely damaged. My old buddy C Brown knew what happened.

Thanks,
John

Harris Speedster / John we love that quote

One of the keys to life is to be happy with what one has or one does not have

When you arise in the morning, think of what a precious privilege it is to be alive to breathe, to think, to enjoy, to love. ~
Marcus Aurelius

"Home of the "Amazing Hertz 3 + 1 Musketeers"

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

Bob Gaines

Quote from: Harris Speedster on June 18, 2024, 08:17:06 AMAbout 9 years ago Big Jim Cowles sent me over a "complete driveshaft, correct ends, ujoints, input shaft and color coded, any ideas about who ?
Also;

Thanks,
John

John, I would sell off the valuable 65/66 pan given it is not original on your car if it were me. Use the money for the expensive revival of the 67.   The pans side sumps interfere with the routing of the powersteering hoses on the 67 . It can be made to work but is a pain.  Of course 65/66 GT350 didn't have PS.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Harris Speedster

Bob,
Thanks, as always, for the help.
I will probably do that. I do have many almost impossible to find parts I need.

Any idea of who is selling the complete driveshafts for the early 67 Bob ?
I was thinking about checking with Jess at cowles place to see if he knew or still had the contact.
I wonder if it was ded nuts on that Big jim used ?
john
Is this the first futuristic exotic in the world?
Size of an ac cobra, but built in 1935 !
https://www.autopuzzles.com/forum/features-stories-and-photos/harris-fwd-speedster-the-story/?PHPSESSID=v4pqtv6hep4ff4rvalrc9qsnj7

azdriver

If I understand correctly, Dead Nuts On is still selling new correct shafts. Might want to check with Jack.

Pat

J_Speegle

If your original is in decent shape (not all pitted up) you can restore it without much problem. Did an article on just this more than a decade ago. Got asked allot about doing others for people but just wanted to do the ones I did and have since so just provided how I did it for others 

As mentioned if your is pitted then your looking at tube replacement and the challenge with often non-factory looking weights or possibly yokes with allot of pitting.

Might be able to find a decent original to start with from a "good" area of the country.
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge