News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

June 19, 1966 58 years ago, Ford finished 1-2-3 at Le Mans

Started by FL SAAC, June 19, 2024, 01:34:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FL SAAC

Fifty eight years ago today:

When the  1966 24 Hours of LeMans came to an end, on this day in 1966 it was a  FordGT40 in first, second and third place, marking the first time an American  automobile won the race.

With the three Mk. II Fords so far out in front of the rest of the field during the last pit stop, Henry Ford II decided to stage a publicity photo at the finish line, having all three cross nearly simultaneously.

The leading #1  car driven by Ken Miles and Denny Hulme crossed the finish line next to the #2  car driven by Bruce McLaren and Chris Amon, with the #5 GT40 trailing shortly behind.

The #1 and #2 cars had both completed 360 laps but the #2 car started farther back, meaning even though they tied, the #2 car covered more ground and therefore received the the first place trophy.

Ken Miles, who was going for the endurance racing triple crown of Daytona, Sebring and Le Mans, was disheartened when he learned he lost the race due to a publicity stunt, saying, "I'm disappointed, of course, but what are you going to do about it."

Another disenchanted fella was a Mr. Enzo F. who's nightmare came true that day 1-2-3
When you arise in the morning, think of what a precious privilege it is to be alive to breathe, to think, to enjoy, to love. ~
Marcus Aurelius

"Home of the "Amazing Hertz 3 + 1 Musketeers"

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert