News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

1966 K Mustang converted to Gasser day one

Started by FL SAAC, June 20, 2024, 09:23:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FL SAAC

This 1966 Ford Mustang Fastback is an authentic K-code model that was originally purchased to be converted into a Gasser drag car, according to the seller, who notes the car was a multiple class-winner in and around the New Jersey area.

The original owner and racer, Frank Jones, reportedly bought the Mustang from Westboro Ford in 1966, where it was sold as a demo car.

Frank ran the car until he met his wife and began playing jazz.

That was 1971, and the Mustang was parked and left largely untouched in the subsequent decades.

It's said that it remains a time capsule of Sixties drag racing. 
When you arise in the morning, think of what a precious privilege it is to be alive to breathe, to think, to enjoy, to love. ~
Marcus Aurelius

"Home of the "Amazing Hertz 3 + 1 Musketeers"

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

FL SAAC

This original K-code Mustang has a well-documented history as a Sixties Gasser.

The original owner was inspired by Levi Holmes and his "Black Knight" race car.

The original engine has been replaced with a Hilborn-injected 289.

The original front end was replaced with a fiberglass flip nose.

A racing interior includes a pair of racing seats, basic gauges, and a roll bar.

The rear chassis and suspension were modified for racing more than 50 years ago

When you arise in the morning, think of what a precious privilege it is to be alive to breathe, to think, to enjoy, to love. ~
Marcus Aurelius

I have all UNGOLD cars

FL SAAC

Marcus Aurelius

I have all UNGOLD cars

FL SAAC

So you ask who inspired Frank Jones to build this Mustang ?

Mr Levi Jones

Who is Levi Jones ?

Levi Holmes became known as "Mr. Newark" to the North 'Jersey street racing crowd. Levi's cars were powered by big-block Chevys, of sometimes dubious displacement. Each carried a Tunnel-Ram intake, dual Holley four-barrel carburetors, hood scoop, and strictly-race components.

Professionally prepared manual-shift four-speed transmissions were preferred. Later, the street racers went to Lenco or clutchless transmissions. 12" wide rear tires, fresh M&H or Goodyear slicks of the latest, stickiest compounds were favored.

Front-rear weight distribution found more bulk up front, but aluminum components, fiberglass front pieces and using small-block Chevy motor mounts in place of big-block mounts moved the engine back a precious ¾" from stock big-block location.

At the drag strip, Levi usually ran in A/Modified Production, an NHRA class that carried a seven pounds per CID weight break. Racers wishing to choose could run A/MP or Pro-Stock.

A 427 with an .060" overbore was 440
Marcus Aurelius

I have all UNGOLD cars

FL SAAC

but wait there more, at least one million more......

In NY-NJ street racing the anything-goes format allowed for a wide variety of cars and engines. Levi's "Black Knight" Camaros and Novas were raced under the "New Newark Racing Enterprise" name.

He also drove cars owned by Rufus "Brooklyn Heavy" Boyd.

Some remaining street rumors claim Levi won over one million dollars during the Brooklyn-Queens Connector racing scene.

That may be boastfully inaccurate, but enormous cash money sums often changed hands.

Marcus Aurelius

I have all UNGOLD cars

427heaven

Tony- That was the rough street racer crowd that my car ran with for 5 years, before it was involved in an incident that took it off the road for many years. It prowled the streets of the BADLANDS... New York, Philly, Jersey. Hoping someone has some info of BLUE CHEER from back in the day! Great vintage pics!

FL SAAC

Quote from: 427heaven on June 24, 2024, 11:38:31 AMTony- That was the rough street racer crowd that my car ran with for 5 years, before it was involved in an incident that took it off the road for many years. It prowled the streets of the BADLANDS... New York, Philly, Jersey. Hoping someone has some info of BLUE CHEER from back in the day! Great vintage pics!

As Rodney Dangerfield would say tough crowd.

I think all the midnight or underground racing / racers where a tough crowd.

This is the only thing that we found on blue cheer in the NE area

1971 Dodge Charger R/T - Blue Cheer - Mopar Muscle Magazine
https://www.motortrend.com/features/mopp-0102-1971-dodge-charger-rt/
Marcus Aurelius

I have all UNGOLD cars

427heaven

BUMMER..... Thanks for looking! Those that were around back then, would be probably 80 plus years old- that eliminates many from the pool of street racers back then. :-\

98SVT - was 06GT

Another VINless Mustang thread.......

In SoCal we had Big Willie. While he ran organized races and got a lot of positive press he wasn't above yanking the portable Xmas Tree out of the trunk and setting up impromptu races anywhere anytime.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%22Big_Willie%22_Robinson
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang, 1998 SVT 32V, 1929 Model A Coupe, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

FL SAAC

Y'all gota remember when you mention Big Willie in a sentence, ya gota mention Mrs Tomiko.

Their Board of Directors looks very similar to ours in la Florida
Marcus Aurelius

I have all UNGOLD cars

FL SAAC

It's all about that Big Bad Yella Bird  !

Marcus Aurelius

I have all UNGOLD cars