News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Ebay auction 68 HL bucket

Started by Coralsnake, June 27, 2024, 10:01:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chipsdad56

This person also has a right side headlight extension up for auction stating it is original but it is a repo. In addition, the seller has a 68 Shelby hood for auction. What do you think about the hood? Original or repo?

Coralsnake

Its all reproduction :o

The hood is all "kitty hair" and the plenum is not riveted. There are no holes to mount the hood pin plates.

The original Influencer, check out www.thecoralsnake.com

tesgt350

Quote from: Coralsnake on June 28, 2024, 07:16:25 AMIts all reproduction :o

OK, lets see if I am learning anything...... is it a Repro Hood because you can see the Fiber Glass Mat and it's not smoot?

Coralsnake

That is one feature for identification.

Winning

azdriver

NOS extension... Much more detail where the headlight ring mounts...

Pat

Coralsnake

Good comparison!

Shady or ignorant are now the choices?

shelbydoug

Neither the hood or the headlight extension appear smooth on the inside as expected.

The hood is highly detailed though. It raises questions for me about the possibility that is is an early production '68 hood since I have seen those parts with non-smooth, rough reverse sides of fiberglass matt originally.

Even so, if that was the fact (which I am doubting) a KR "ram air" ducting is out of place.

I don't think that a knowledgeable seller would seriously list these as "original".

This reminds me of the discussion comparing the terms amoral and immoral. In certain instances it doesn't really matter if the person in question knows they are doing wrong or not. The result is the same.

Neither of these parts are what you want if you are legitimately restoring a real '68 Shelby.

I would defer to someone more experienced or experienced with the very, very early '68s as to whether or not they could have been original hand laid parts by AOSmith but for the vast majority, they are not what you want, regardless of the low cost.

Whoever made them though knows more then something about "fiberglass". They definitely are well made.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Coralsnake

Like someone thats restored two of the five pre production cars ?

;D

shelbydoug

Quote from: Coralsnake on June 28, 2024, 09:21:29 AMLike someone thats restored two of the five pre production cars ?

;D

Perhaps, that's if they have enough information to compare pre-production to early production?

I don't have enough information to make a determination that they are the same. Do you?

68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Coralsnake

Yes, I believe I do

The appearance is one, the mounting studs are also totally different

CharlesTurner

I've seen the exact same pieces, they are reproduction for sure.  Not fun to fit to a car and modify/file down the headlight opening area to work with the headlight chrome ring and inner ring retainer for the headlight.
Charles Turner
MCA/SAAC Judge