News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

1965 G2 Radiator

Started by PaulD, June 29, 2024, 01:59:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PaulD

Need to get my original radiator recored and am trying to determine if this is the original core with the correct upper bucket header. Also, the radiator cap is clocked differently than I normally see. Is that correct?   You cannot view this attachment.You cannot view this attachment.

J_Speegle

Yes looks like the overflow nipple was installed in the wrong (clocking) spot so to rotate and install it to the top tank in the correct or close location that put the clocking of the cap in a different spot than typical. Don't know where (if repaired by a shop) they got another neck and you don't see those replaced very often. With this said I've seen a very few with the similar condition on originals and in restored cars.

The cut out for the cap is typically centered over where the nipple was located so this one is what, 45 degrees off or so
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

BDT 739

Years ago, I took my original radiator in for a recore.  When I got it home, they had soldered the filler neck 180' out like the one on your radiator. Took it back to the shop and they desoldered and clocked in the correct position and resolders while I waited.

Rickmustang

Be careful with the radiator. Impossible to find with that date code, and extremely expensive when you find one.

PaulD

The strange thing on the filler neck is it is soldered in the correct position for the over flow hose. Just the slots for the cap are about 45 degrees from normal. Not sure if it was swapped in the past or just built wrong originally.

I do not believe the radiator has been recorded. Does the core look correct for an original radiator? Would like to find a shop that can reuse the upper tank part of the core as I think the replacement cores are stamped differently.

Bob Gaines

Quote from: PaulD on June 29, 2024, 09:51:58 PMThe strange thing on the filler neck is it is soldered in the correct position for the over flow hose. Just the slots for the cap are about 45 degrees from normal. Not sure if it was swapped in the past or just built wrong originally.

I do not believe the radiator has been recorded. Does the core look correct for an original radiator? Would like to find a shop that can reuse the upper tank part of the core as I think the replacement cores are stamped differently.
That will be a difficult trick. This is because the way I understand it typically the replacement core come from the mfg. with the bottom half of the upper tank already soldered together to the fins and capillaries .The radiator shop reuses the top half of the upper tank.The top half of the top tank and the filler neck are separate pieces that are all soldered together to the fins and bottom half of the upper tank.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

6s1640

PaulD said "I do not believe the radiator has been recorded."

Hi Paul,  because the internal baffle is missing, it is likely it has been rebuilt and the re-builder did not put the baffle back.  Finding a correct baffle will also be very hard.  Or, a previous owner had the radiator rodded out ant the baffle was removed then.  Best of luck

Cory

Bob Gaines

Quote from: 6s1640 on June 29, 2024, 11:49:24 PMPaulD said "I do not believe the radiator has been recorded."

Hi Paul,  because the internal baffle is missing, it is likely it has been rebuilt and the re-builder did not put the baffle back.  Finding a correct baffle will also be very hard.  Or, a previous owner had the radiator rodded out ant the baffle was removed then.  Best of luck

Cory
Although Cory's observations are absolutely correct the baffle effects seem to be negligible given later radiators eliminated that detail after 66. That is probably why most radiator shops take them out. If it makes you feel good by all means put one back in. The point is without one you will not notice diminished performance. It would be hard to see if at all with anti freeze in the radiator with the cap off if looking for it. Even in the toughest concours classes there is not a cap off radiator inspection. :D  The baffle provides a excellent tell in determining a unmolested radiator but nothing to stress about if missing IMO.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

6s1640

Hi PaulD,

I agree with Bob Gaines.  The baffle is not needed.  I have direct experience with this.  I had a W-MO 3-65 radiator rodded out and at the time did not know better to have the shop reinstalled the baffle.  My radiator is still the original core and is working fine.  Best of luck.

Cory