News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Auto Shifter Handle Peeling

Started by 69 GT350 Vert, July 02, 2024, 06:08:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

69 GT350 Vert

What product can I use to touch up the peeling on my original handle?  Thanks.

azdriver

Not sure what was originally used. I refinished mine in the 90's with a pre-catylized laquer.

Pat

Coralsnake

You have to work around the chrome. The wood is glued. I have removed them but there os a good chance you will damage the wood if you try to break it free
The original Influencer, check out www.thecoralsnake.com

Bob Gaines

Quote from: Coralsnake on July 02, 2024, 07:08:42 PMYou have to work around the chrome. The wood is glued. I have removed them but there os a good chance you will damage the wood if you try to break it free
+1 . The proper way is to refinish the entire half. FYI the other side should be done at the same time so they both match. I have gotten some loose before but about half the time the wood splits. I have successfully glued a split one back together before refinishing them . Best not to tempt fate and refinish it working carefully while still on the handle.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

69 GT350 Vert

Thanks for the advice. I'm planning to just use a brush or foam brush and swab some wood stain on only the spots that are peeling.  I don't know if I should use a clear/transparent or a colored stain to match the surrounding wood color.  Also, should I use an oil-based stain?  I'm not shooting for perfection here, but I want it to look better than it does and not as noticeable.

Bob Gaines

Quote from: 69 GT350 Vert on July 03, 2024, 09:41:29 AMThanks for the advice. I'm planning to just use a brush or foam brush and swab some wood stain on only the spots that are peeling.  I don't know if I should use a clear/transparent or a colored stain to match the surrounding wood color.  Also, should I use an oil-based stain?  I'm not shooting for perfection here, but I want it to look better than it does and not as noticeable.
What you are suggesting will not match well been there done that. Rather then short cutting it like that I suggest you try something that dissolves the finish and blends everything together. I have used Formby's Furniture Refinisher for years but it has been discontinued. A substitute is Miniwax antique refinisher or Howard's restor-a-finish . I have used the Formbys product on many different items with excellent results.They others are copycat products and should work at least as well IMO. I haven't tried it on a handle before but it should work just as well as it has on the many antique projects I have used it one. The refinisher wood product chemically dissolve the finish instead of sanding. Of course you tape off the chrome. You put it on using a very fine steel wool. Follow the directions and you will end up with a much better result then the one you are suggesting. 
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Bob Gaines

I wanted to clarify and say that I typically sand the finish off and reapply a clear finish for the best show results.If you don't want to do that then the easier restore a finish procedure products as I suggested above would be the second best way IMO.

69 GT350 Vert

Thanks Bob. I will try doing the removal of all the stain to the right of the chrome divider, and re-apply the clear to just that half.  I really don't want to get near the Cobra side with sanding or stain remover.  I appreciate the helpful suggestions.   

Bob Gaines

Quote from: 69 GT350 Vert on July 03, 2024, 02:11:23 PMThanks Bob. I will try doing the removal of all the stain to the right of the chrome divider, and re-apply the clear to just that half.  I really don't want to get near the Cobra side with sanding or stain remover.  I appreciate the helpful suggestions.   
With the refinisher products I mentioned you do not remove the stain. By liquefying the finish it allows the blending of the existing stain with the areas that maybe have less because the top surface clear has rubbed off. After the process has been done you can evaluate if additional clear is needed. As easy as this process is to do I would strongly recommend considering to doing the other side.That way both sides match exactly. The product is not strong enough to have a adverse effect on the snake. You can always add a little tape to the snake as added insurance if it makes you feel better. Of course you can do one side and after completion if you feel confident enough do the other side. Regardless the refinisher product will give better matching results compared to adding additional stain that will not match as well if at all.  Best of luck what ever you decide. 

Bob Gaines

Quote from: Bob Gaines on July 03, 2024, 02:35:33 PM
Quote from: 69 GT350 Vert on July 03, 2024, 02:11:23 PMThanks Bob. I will try doing the removal of all the stain to the right of the chrome divider, and re-apply the clear to just that half.  I really don't want to get near the Cobra side with sanding or stain remover.  I appreciate the helpful suggestions.   
With the refinisher products I mentioned you do not remove the stain. By liquefying the finish it allows the blending of the existing stain with the areas that maybe have less because the top surface clear has rubbed off. After the process has been done you can evaluate if additional clear is needed. As easy as this process is to do I would strongly recommend considering to doing the other side.That way both sides match exactly. The product is not strong enough to have a adverse effect on the snake. You can always add a little tape to the snake as added insurance if it makes you feel better. Of course you can do one side and after completion if you feel confident enough do the other side. Regardless the refinisher product will give better matching results compared to adding additional stain that will not match as well if at all.  Best of luck what ever you decide. 
Sanding off all and adding the clear will give good results but may not exactly match the other half . Doing both halves of the handle at the same time will guarantee better that they match each other.