News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

1967 GT350 & GT500 factory assembly line battery

Started by Cobramax, July 04, 2024, 02:47:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cobramax

This battery is correct for 1967 Shelby GT350's and GT500's with A/C and/or Thermactor emission, based on my research. Look for "Original factory assembly line 1967 Shelby GT 350/GT500 Autolite 24F battery".
Could this be used in the Concours, even if it is non-functional?

Kent

SAAC Member from Germany and Owner of a unrestored 1967 Shelby GT500, 1968 1/2 Cobra Jet´s and some nice Mustang Fastback´s 67/68

Bob Gaines

Quote from: Cobramax on July 04, 2024, 02:47:17 PMThis battery is correct for 1967 Shelby GT350's and GT500's with A/C and/or Thermactor emission, based on my research. Look for "Original factory assembly line 1967 Shelby GT 350/GT500 Autolite 24F battery".
Could this be used in the Concours, even if it is non-functional?

It can be used for other applications too as I wrote in your up for auction post. That will widen your net. The rules for the two major Shelby/Mustang venues are some what fluid. Yes the way the rules are written now for MCA which does not have a operational check during judging so a non functional battery can be substituted when in place for judging . SAAC rules vary but in the past they have allowed a battery to be substituted for judging. This battery will need some attention given the battery is expected to look like new and deductions if any are on a sliding scale. A battery shield would be expected for a 67 GT500 Mustang/Shelby application but would cover the visible sides and corner which seem to be in the worst shape . The top although needing  some work too looks to be a relative easy restore. 
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Bob Gaines

Quote from: Kent on July 04, 2024, 05:28:31 PMThis is really expensive for what it is, and it's not starting the engine. I think Bob and some others have better ideas maybe how to make something nice. I read several threads in the past that were helpful on this.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/156287733023?_trkparms=amclksrc%3DITM%26aid%3D777008%26algo%3DPERSONAL.TOPIC%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20230811123856%26meid%3D975decb7062e43efa79dbb700283b0ce%26pid%3D101770%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D1%26itm%3D156287733023%26pmt%3D0%26noa%3D1%26pg%3D4375194%26algv%3DRecentlyViewedItemsV2%26brand%3DAutolite&_trksid=p4375194.c101770.m146925&_trkparms=parentrq%3A7fa518f81900a8d8c7d75976ffff85fe%7Cpageci%3A34aaaa5e-3a4c-11ef-ba1f-d686118c4bbf%7Ciid%3A1%7Cvlpname%3Avlp_homepage
Kent, it is all relative. It may seem expensive to you but not for someone who has been looking for years for one and just wants to end his search. It may be too expensive or over kill for a car not trying for all original but not for one that is. It is up to each individual owner and what makes the best sense to them. From a supply and demand standpoint these are not out there for any kind of comps to go by. As Ed Meyer is fond of saying "if you don't like it go down to the assemblyline battery aisle at WalMart and pick another one up". ;D
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

CharlesTurner

It's a deal at $3k.  I haven't seen one for sale in probably 5 years.  The crack can be filled in and the rest of the battery detailed to look nice.
Charles Turner
MCA/SAAC Judge

Kent

Yes Charles (I wrote you a message for something we talked about,  please reply) and Bob you both are right and I also look for a lot of parts and sometimes I paid way too much. But I think for me the difference is that I dont need to go to concours events and my Shelby is way much better and more correct than the most in Europe which were "restored" compared to my unrestored one. But I want to drive it and use it so a battery change for events is not what I want.

The repros are not so bad and working yes they are not correct but visual for 98% of the people its nice enough and better than my 2nd choice optima. Charles/ Bob are there maybe pictures of a repro battery that was done more to 67 specs? Or may I ask what is the best way to come close to an original one? That would be more interesting for the most of us I think.

Quote from: Bob Gaines on July 04, 2024, 06:31:38 PM
Quote from: Kent on July 04, 2024, 05:28:31 PMThis is really expensive for what it is, and it's not starting the engine. I think Bob and some others have better ideas maybe how to make something nice. I read several threads in the past that were helpful on this.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/156287733023?_trkparms=amclksrc%3DITM%26aid%3D777008%26algo%3DPERSONAL.TOPIC%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20230811123856%26meid%3D975decb7062e43efa79dbb700283b0ce%26pid%3D101770%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D1%26itm%3D156287733023%26pmt%3D0%26noa%3D1%26pg%3D4375194%26algv%3DRecentlyViewedItemsV2%26brand%3DAutolite&_trksid=p4375194.c101770.m146925&_trkparms=parentrq%3A7fa518f81900a8d8c7d75976ffff85fe%7Cpageci%3A34aaaa5e-3a4c-11ef-ba1f-d686118c4bbf%7Ciid%3A1%7Cvlpname%3Avlp_homepage
Kent, it is all relative. It may seem expensive to you but not for someone who has been looking for years for one and just wants to end his search. It may be too expensive or over kill for a car not trying for all original but not for one that is. It is up to each individual owner and what makes the best sense to them. From a supply and demand standpoint these are not out there for any kind of comps to go by. As Ed Meyer is fond of saying "if you don't like it go down to the assemblyline battery aisle at WalMart and pick another one up". ;D
Quote from: CharlesTurner on July 05, 2024, 12:07:20 AMIt's a deal at $3k.  I haven't seen one for sale in probably 5 years.  The crack can be filled in and the rest of the battery detailed to look nice.
SAAC Member from Germany and Owner of a unrestored 1967 Shelby GT500, 1968 1/2 Cobra Jet´s and some nice Mustang Fastback´s 67/68

Special Ed

Thats a deal as i paid 3 times that for the last original b9 29hr autolite battery i bought back years ago.

Bob Gaines

Unfortunately there is not a good alternative for a assemblyline looking battery for 65,66 or 67 Mustangs and Shelby's. The reproduction battery is copied after the 68 style which has a top that is dramatically different compared to the 65,66,and 67 style assemblyline battery top seen in the auction.

shelbydoug

I think that the higher the price, the smaller the market. In fact, maybe just a market of 1?

There is something happening in the market. It is weak. There is no longer a feeding frenzy created when a very rare part is offered. It may be the economy in general or just how it is hitting this group? I'm thinking it is just the lack of expendable income available to specific groups.

In general, I don't think that this is good at all but like everyone else, I'm just along for the ride  wherever that takes me.

B9 parts are still the easiest to sell and will bring the most. By contrast, '67 Shelby parts are different kinds of buyers. That market is definitely not as lucrative. In fact, by comparison to B9's I think it is very weak.
The reaction to asking prices I see in that group is as if the interested buyers have $150 '67 Mustangs that someone gave them for free? It isn't as though they think that Super Shell is still $.49 a gallon, it is just that it is all they can afford? ???

If you are a seller, you already realized long ago, it is apples v. oranges.

$9,000 for a B9 battery may have in fact happened but I doubt $3,000 for a '67 Shelby GT500 ever will. Two different worlds.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

J_Speegle

Quote from: Kent on July 05, 2024, 02:17:02 AMYes Charles (I wrote you a message for something we talked about,  please reply) and Bob you both are right and I also look for a lot of parts and sometimes I paid way too much. But I think for me the difference is that I dont need to go to concours events and my Shelby is way much better and more correct than the most in Europe which were "restored" compared to my unrestored one. But I want to drive it and use it so a battery change for events is not what I want.

The repros are not so bad and working yes they are not correct but visual for 98% of the people its nice enough and better than my 2nd choice optima. Charles/ Bob are there maybe pictures of a repro battery that was done more to 67 specs? Or may I ask what is the best way to come close to an original one? That would be more interesting for the most of us I think.

It may be OK for 98% of the people as you estimate but you can look at it in a different light. Its OK for allot of owners since there is not a good reproduction and it's a lot less expensive than one that is correct so they settle or justify that its good enough for their car.

As for close to original, breaking it down there is nothing better than currently than the current and for the last three decades or more, reproduction. There have been some that have tried to modify their reproductions in include the early warning area  All of this has been discussed for years both privately, in judging and in pretty long threads here and elsewhere.

One key point that always comes up is we get what we get possibly because the vendors and makers don't see a demand for the original looking ones since everyone is OK/settling for what is available. This line of thinking is also plays out with less expensive, cheaper made or even incorrect reproductions. I asked a maker and vendor once about a part they made and listed for sale for an incorrect application (made for another Ford product) "why do you make and list these parts" . Their response was that "people buy them" was why he made the parts and listed them incorrectly. My response was they purchased the parts because they were advertised for their car. Similar things took place when you saw "concours approved".

Bottom line is that some are ok with non-Hipo heads, non-original style harmonic balancers on their cars and so on. Building a car is full of choices and its great that we each get to choose (considering out pocket book, intended goal, use and what is important) to us and try and reach that goal. One thing about using the current battery is that since there are no good reproductions every one tends to purchase them and people in general and in turn viewers start assuming they are correct and if you have an original many will assume it is incorrect.

The main battery discussion thread on this site with plenty of pictures I was referring to

Group 22 & 24 Assembly Line Battery
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

Rickmustang

FYI I've tried three reproduction G27 batteries from Batter Central Mall in the past couple of years. They all failed in about a year. BCM honored the warranty, but I'm tired of replacing them so often. I just modified a G24 battery topper to fit on a G27 battery. Doesn't look great but glancing at it it's ok.

Kent

I remember we had a thread here where we talked about to maybe 3d print the 67 ones from an original. And there was someone who took an old battery and build a new battery "case" from that one where he was able to change the battery inside the original looking case. Something like this would be cool. New working battery inside and outside the look of the 67.

J_Speegle

Quote from: Kent on July 05, 2024, 02:56:30 PMI remember we had a thread here where we talked about to maybe 3d print the 67 ones from an original. And there was someone who took an old battery and build a new battery "case" from that one where he was able to change the battery inside the original looking case. Something like this would be cool. New working battery inside and outside the look of the 67.

Agreed but so far not many have access to a high end 3D printer and then it would require the additional work. Guessing 10% plus of owners would have to pay someone to make it a working on. For some judged event (if you care about those things) you don't even have to place anything inside. Don't get me wrong, I would love to see something that looked like an original and surprised that after the reported number of people that have looked into it that someone did not choose to make it happen. Fully understand the challenges, cost and time something like this takes. I looked into and was about to sign to make the reproduction battery shields when I discovered someone else was tooling for the same part. Mine were going to be slightly cheaper since I didn't have to make a living off of the project but I didn't want to spend all the time and effort while dividing up a few thousand that might have been sold at that time and over the following ten years
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

Kent

Yes I think it would be so cool to have a whole battery box that loos like an original battery instead of the cover or the repro batteries that die to fast. Even if a good case would cost 500-1000 I would buy it when I can put my optima inside. And as I really drive my cars the optima will be the 2nd best choice as long there is nothing that will look like a original 67 battery.

by the way which battery shields exactly?

Cobramax

Would a semigloss polyurethane bring the surface back to close to original appearance, I wonder? The "Caution" raised words could easily be painted yellow and the crack could be filled in, I think, so it isn't noticeable. Are the dimensions of the 22F the same as the 24F? Did that vary by year?