News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Ed Bolian of Vinwiki finds a moldy Ford GT that was sitting for 15 years

Started by deathsled, July 09, 2024, 08:44:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deathsled

I never understood the surrounding of a car with detritus and piling up cardboard, newspapers and buckets over the bodywork.  The thing sounded ghastly on startup.  I wonder what efforts they made to drain the gas tank and prime the engine beforehand.  Seemingly none.
"Low she sits on five spoke wheels
Small block eight so live she feels
There she's parked beside the curb
Engine revving to disturb
She's the princess from his past
Red paint gold stripes damned she's fast"

trotrof1

I must have missed the part where they checked oil and coolant levels and condition.

FL SAAC

Quote from: deathsled on July 09, 2024, 08:44:59 PM

I never understood the surrounding of a car with detritus and piling up cardboard, newspapers and buckets over the bodywork.  The thing sounded ghastly on startup.  I wonder what efforts they made to drain the gas tank and prime the engine beforehand.  Seemingly none.

Sacrilege  !
When you arise in the morning, think of what a precious privilege it is to be alive to breathe, to think, to enjoy, to love. ~
Marcus Aurelius

"Home of the "Amazing Hertz 3 + 1 Musketeers"

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

pbf777

Look, when the full-body hazmat suits came out I couldn't watch anymore!   ::)

Scott.

FL SAAC

Quote from: pbf777 on July 10, 2024, 11:14:14 AMLook, when the full-body hazmat suits came out I couldn't watch anymore!   ::)

Scott.

LMAO  !
When you arise in the morning, think of what a precious privilege it is to be alive to breathe, to think, to enjoy, to love. ~
Marcus Aurelius

I have all UNGOLD cars

FL SAAC

Marcus Aurelius

I have all UNGOLD cars

FL SAAC

Quote from: DavidGT40 on July 10, 2024, 01:09:36 PMLooks a little set up to me.

Comonman staged ?????

Naaaaa

Lights Camera Action  !
Marcus Aurelius

I have all UNGOLD cars

deathsled

The engine timbre sounded too awful to be staged.  Staged unlikely but one never can be sure these days.  Entertaining for me regardless.
"Low she sits on five spoke wheels
Small block eight so live she feels
There she's parked beside the curb
Engine revving to disturb
She's the princess from his past
Red paint gold stripes damned she's fast"

98SVT - was 06GT

Quote from: pbf777 on July 10, 2024, 11:14:14 AM.... when the full-body hazmat suits came out

Runs bad and has mold - how long did it sit at the bottom of the lake?
Home Depot paint suit and a mask that won't stop anything. Getting serious for the 2 of them would add about $1,200 to the production costs for a good suit and respirator. https://www.grainger.com/product/784RK5?gucid=N:N:PS:Paid:GGL:CSM-2295:4P7A1P:20501231&gad_source=1&gclid=CjwKCAjw4ri0BhAvEiwA8oo6F7lNhKOcCOk7BV1RDH_06WNMEHQnPC7mNRiZtRZKWx44CX6JgIYpHBoC3QgQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang, 1998 SVT 32V, 1929 Model A Coupe, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

rhjanes

Quote from: pbf777 on July 10, 2024, 11:14:14 AMLook, when the full-body hazmat suits came out I couldn't watch anymore!   ::)

Scott.
I thought of Marty McFly.....
Pirating!  Corporate take-over without the paperwork

Side-Oilers

Below is what I posted over on the FGT site. (And yeah, that trip into Home Depot sure looked like an advertising payoff. Doesn't everyone know what a Home Depot looks like? Did they really need to spend the time on that?)

I don't know who these guys are (I'm happily old and out of touch with "influencers") but Mr Green Shoes & his buddy dressed-up in "Hazmat gear" and then stood around the car breathing in all of its flora before putting on their masks.

To me, finding an 18-year-old car in a garage that's really not as messy as a lot of them, doesn't really qualify as a "barn find". It's more likely the result of someone dying and the property (and GT) sitting idle for a bunch of years in a humid environment.

That guess made...what's the full story, YouTube guys? Would be interesting to know how that GT got there, whose house it is, and how many miles are on the car. Like, check the CarFax and let us know...was it a one-owner car? Where was it originally sold? The last time it was registered?

I realize that TV guys (I worked in that industry for a long time) occasionally have to gin-up excitement, for the benefit of the drooling viewers, but to start the engine (without checking any fluids, or flushing out the old gasoline) is a VERY BAD IDEA.

Then, to rev it while it sounds like it's in limp-home mode, and try to drive it up that steep driveway is plain ol' stupid.

So, I'm hoping there's more to the story than just what they showed. I haven't searched around for previous, or later-date, videos. So, perhaps they did actually do the right thing with fluids before starting it.

That old battery in the car sure had a lot of juice in it. Hmmmmmm...
Current:
2006 FGT, Tungsten. Whipple, HRE 20s, Ohlin coil-overs. Top Speed Certified 210.7 mph.

Kirkham Cobra 427.  482-inch aluminum side-oiler. Tremec 5-spd.

Previous:
1968 GT500KR #2575 (1982-2022)
1970 Ranchero GT 429
1969 LTD Country Squire 429
1963 T-Bird Sport Roadster
1957 T-Bird E-model

FL SAAC

Quote from: Side-Oilers on July 11, 2024, 01:39:33 AM
To me, finding an 18-year-old car in a garage that's really not as messy as a lot of them, doesn't really qualify as a "barn find". It's more likely the result of someone dying and the property (and GT) sitting idle for a bunch of years in a humid environment.

That guess made...what's the full story, YouTube guys? Would be interesting to know how that GT got there, whose house it is, and how many miles are on the car. Like, check the CarFax and let us know...was it a one-owner car? Where was it originally sold? The last time it was registered?

I realize that TV guys (I worked in that industry for a long time) occasionally have to gin-up excitement, for the benefit of the drooling viewers, but to start the engine (without checking any fluids, or flushing out the old gasoline) is a VERY BAD IDEA.

Then, to rev it while it sounds like it's in limp-home mode, and try to drive it up that steep driveway is plain ol' stupid.

So, I'm hoping there's more to the story than just what they showed. I haven't searched around for previous, or later-date, videos. So, perhaps they did actually do the right thing with fluids before starting it.

That old battery in the car sure had a lot of juice in it. Hmmmmmm...

Agree 100%
Marcus Aurelius

I have all UNGOLD cars