News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

How should I proceed? A Thermactor question

Started by 2112, July 13, 2024, 12:31:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Several years ago, I bought a well made Thermactor oil fill tube reproduction.

I sent it along with the intake manifold to Shelby parts & restoration where the intake was refinished and the tube installed.

The tube did not fully seat. There is a stop shoulder at the bottom of the manifold hole to keep the tube from pushing thru. I am guessing that this intake was not a Thermactor intake or the tube is just too long.

Should I cut the tube short and maintain the shoulder or mill the shoulder out of the hole?

Neither are difficult, the hardest part will be getting the press to fit tube back out to make the change. The last picture is the bottom side of the oil fill hole.

Bob Gaines

Quote from: 2112 on July 13, 2024, 12:31:06 PMSeveral years ago, I bought a well made Thermactor oil fill tube reproduction.

I sent it along with the intake manifold to Shelby parts & restoration where the intake was refinished and the tube installed.

The tube did not fully seat. There is a stop shoulder at the bottom of the manifold hole to keep the tube from pushing thru. I am guessing that this intake was not a Thermactor intake or the tube is just too long.

Should I cut the tube short and maintain the shoulder or mill the shoulder out of the hole?

Neither are difficult, the hardest part will be getting the press to fit tube back out to make the change. The last picture is the bottom side of the oil fill hole.
Leave it alone .You are good as is.  As Ed meyer like s to say "that's just the way it is". It will not go down any farther but if it did the ring that you are calling a stop could not seat flush with the bottom because of interference with the intake runner.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

67_1183

Welcome back.

I can make measurements of my original if that will help.  The insertion depth can roughly be seen in the attached picure based on the paint line.

I am not aware of a special intake manifold for thermactor cars.

Press fit?  Mine was removed easily by hand.

Our cars are less than one week apart per Ford build date, so I would think the thermactor systems would be similar.
2nd owner of 67 GT500 #1183 since September 1976

Bob Gaines

Only one style of GT500 intake was used regardless of if thermactor equipped or not.  The filler tube is not supposed to be loose enough to remove by hand. The nipple has to sit high because a hose with a backfire valve goes straight across to connect to the elbow on the bottom side of the air cleaner lid.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Royce Peterson

That ring is not supposed to be a stop. It is there to give a place for the insertion tool to rest. You don't have the tool so you don't know.
1968 Cougar XR-7 GT-E 427 Side Oiler C6 3.50 Detroit Locker
1968 1/2 Cougar XR-7 428CJ Ram Air C6 3.91 Traction Lock

Ok,

But the stop I am referring to is in the intake manifold hole, you can just see it in the picture of the underside of the manifold.

Looking at these pictures,  it looks much shorter than the height mine is at.

Bob Gaines

Mock up the carbs on the intake with air horn tall round gasket then put the base on and see how the hose would line up with the nipple on the tube. The hose is meant to be relatively level + or - . That is if you want to end speckulation.