News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Does the Boss 302 trump the Dodge Challenger?

Started by deathsled, July 14, 2024, 10:45:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

deathsled

I agree with you gentlemen.  The manufacturers are not interested in keeping the technology alive.  It dies out in a few years and then you are on your own to figure out how to make it work.  Or not work.  So the current crop of cars are more enjoy the cars in the moment. 
"Low she sits on five spoke wheels
Small block eight so live she feels
There she's parked beside the curb
Engine revving to disturb
She's the princess from his past
Red paint gold stripes damned she's fast"

Jim Herrud

I had my '97 Corvette for 22 years and would likely be driving it today if I could find electronic modules for it. In 2019, both the engine module and the dash module went tango uniform.

I was soon able to get my engine module refurbished, but the dash module was too far gone to be repaired. After 3 months of searching, I found a used unit at a salvage yard in Alabama. I installed the module, got the car fully working and promptly sold it.

Maybe it was serendipity. This is around the time I found the '19 GT350. I liked my 'vette, but the GT350 is amazing. Hope I can keep tracking it for 22 years.
Shelby Buff.
I used to be a "Vintage Car" guy. Now I'm just a "Vintage" car guy.
"There's never enough horsepower - Just not enough traction." - C.S.
Straight Roads are for Fast Cars. Turns are for Fast Drivers.

FL SAAC

Quote from: deathsled on July 17, 2024, 11:20:12 AMI agree with you gentlemen.  The manufacturers are not interested in keeping the technology alive.  It dies out in a few years and then you are on your own to figure out how to make it work.  Or not work.  So the current crop of cars are more enjoy the cars in the moment.

Mr E always so smooth and eloquent, love your style !

This is what the other mannequins haven't figured out, all we have is that " a moment "
When you arise in the morning, think of what a precious privilege it is to be alive to breathe, to think, to enjoy, to love. ~
Marcus Aurelius

"Home of the "Amazing Hertz 3 + 1 Musketeers"

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

shelbydoug

Quote from: crossboss on July 16, 2024, 01:10:12 PM
Quote from: shelbydoug on July 16, 2024, 08:07:51 AMOf course, this is all about today. No one can predict what any of the current crop of cars will be in 20 years.

Personally I've already learned that essentially these vehicles are supercharged computers on wheels.

From experience, there is no way today that any manufacturer has found a desire or a method of providing necessary everyday operating necessities on existing 20 year old cars now.

If the chip dies, unless you can build your own, the thing is dead.

I personally will stay with my '60s Shelby vehicles and will admit to you that yes, once in a while, I need to redo the points in the distributor.

Which motor vehicle version of Windows do they run on? 10? 11? What do you do when their CPU's are no longer supported?

You boys and girls can bicker on whatever you would like. I suppose that is what grudge match racing is all about but personally I'm going to stay away from any one of these things. It's bad enough that I have a bunch of dead computers now taking up valuable space.

I certainly do not have the room to store broken supercharged computers. They don't even make good planters and even the mice don't like to chew up the wiring.

Which motorized version of Windows do they run on? !0? 11? What do you do when those versions are no longer supported in the future?

Well...
Your late model Boss 302 has one of those 'supercharged computers'. Its also drive by wire...hopefully you won't have issues with that. Once the 'Service traction control' or 'reduced engine power' light comes on...your screwed. Expect an expensive repair(s). Not trying to scare you, just giving you a heads up when it happens.

This is a case of mistaken identity. I am not and never will be the "late model B2 guy".

I am as attracted to them as much as the current crop of Super Models but I still have lots of hair. Grey. Theoretically it counts for something and something is telling me that all is not as simple as it seems and at some point hooking up with either is going to be a very expensive and painful "uncoupling procedure", neither of which I can fix myself?

If Dave's kid Dalton can put a Super Hornet (whatever that is) in the mid 9's then no disrespect intended, probably so can a Super Model who doesn't even have a drivers license. You just match up all of the lights on the dash and press go? Walla' 9.6 ET  Perfect, just perfect.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

98SVT - was 06GT

Quote from: Jim Herrud on July 17, 2024, 12:07:11 PMI had my '97 Corvette for 22 years and would likely be driving it today if I could find electronic modules for it. In 2019, both the engine module and the dash module went tango uniform.
A friend did a GM roundtable while he was working at Hot Rod. They said they were tired of being sued everytime a wheel fell off a 57 Chevy and wanted cars to last 7 years. They said there were new buyers and used buyers who each kept cars 3-4 years. They said it could be accomplished with the electronics. A drop dead date in the software and making replacement parts so expensive it's be cheaper to get a different car. Manufacturers attempts at locking the aftermarket out of the electronics is a big step toward their goal. EV battery replacement cost is another step toward planned obsolescence.
I bought a survivor garage kept 30,000 mile 85 Vette - worse excuse for a performance car I've ever seen. Every couple months it would throw a random code. Nothing wrong and a different code - a real PIA. Sold it to a guy in New Zealand. Made a couple grand on it so I was happy about that.
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang, 1998 SVT 32V, 1929 Model A Coupe, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

shelbydoug

Quote from: 98SVT - was 06GT on July 17, 2024, 02:32:30 PM
Quote from: Jim Herrud on July 17, 2024, 12:07:11 PMI had my '97 Corvette for 22 years and would likely be driving it today if I could find electronic modules for it. In 2019, both the engine module and the dash module went tango uniform.
A friend did a GM roundtable while he was working at Hot Rod. They said they were tired of being sued everytime a wheel fell off a 57 Chevy and wanted cars to last 7 years. They said there were new buyers and used buyers who each kept cars 3-4 years. They said it could be accomplished with the electronics. A drop dead date in the software and making replacement parts so expensive it's be cheaper to get a different car. Manufacturers attempts at locking the aftermarket out of the electronics is a big step toward their goal. EV battery replacement cost is another step toward planned obsolescence.
I bought a survivor garage kept 30,000 mile 85 Vette - worse excuse for a performance car I've ever seen. Every couple months it would throw a random code. Nothing wrong and a different code - a real PIA. Sold it to a guy in New Zealand. Made a couple grand on it so I was happy about that.

I have my '68 since 1972. It is a GT350. If that isn't enough, my Pantera and GT500 since 1985. I have been married 38 years to the same person. A woman.

Having openly admitted that, in GM's perspective, it is obvious that there is something very serious and deeply disturbing about me? This simply can't be normal.

It is best I stay away from their Z06. I wouldn't want anyone at GM to get the wrong idea about me. I
'd probably want a manual transmission and I hate disappointing the dipshits.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

crossboss

An old saying...My comment might get deleted, however here goes: "If it has wheels or tits, it will give you problems"
Past owned Shelby's:
1968 GT-350--Gold
1970 GT-500--#3129--Grabber Orange.
Current lifelong projects:
1969 Mustang Fastback/FOX chassis, 5 speed, 4 wheel discs, with a modern Can-Am 494 (Boss 429), Kaase heads, intake with a 1425 cfm 'B' Autolite Inline carb, ala Trans-Am style
1968/70 Olds 442 W-30

deathsled

Quote from: crossboss on July 18, 2024, 04:42:27 PMAn old saying...My comment might get deleted, however here goes: "If it has wheels or tits, it will give you problems"
That is a truism and part of the vernacular I was exposed to growing up in the 70s. Should not be deleted.

98SVT - was 06GT

Quote from: crossboss on July 18, 2024, 04:42:27 PMAn old saying...My comment might get deleted, however here goes: "If it has wheels or tits, it will give you problems"
I've heard it's cheaper to rent than buy.

crossboss

Quote from: 98SVT - was 06GT on July 24, 2024, 12:58:51 PM

Girls or cars? LOL
Past owned Shelby's:
1968 GT-350--Gold
1969 Mustang Fastback/FOX chassis, 5 speed, 4 wheel discs, with a modern Can-Am 494 (Boss 429), Kaase heads, intake with a 1425 cfm 'B' Autolite Inline carb, ala Trans-Am style
1968/70 Olds 442 W-30

98SVT - was 06GT

Quote from: crossboss on July 26, 2024, 04:46:17 PM
Quote from: 98SVT - was 06GT on July 24, 2024, 12:58:51 PM

Girls or cars? LOL

The answer is C: All of the above.

FL SAAC

The answer is not C, its :

Everyone should know it's a MOPAR

And MOPAR stands for;

MY OLD PIG AIN'T RUNNING

LMAOOOOO !

or a kinder, gentler version for "Today's Special Folks"

MOPAR
MOST OFTEN PASSED AT RACES

So make mine a FORD everyone knows its ;

First On Race Day

Enjoy your day or PIG depending which car you drive
When you arise in the morning, think of what a precious privilege it is to be alive to breathe, to think, to enjoy, to love. ~
Marcus Aurelius

"Home of the "Amazing Hertz 3 + 1 Musketeers"

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

98SVT - was 06GT

Quote from: FL SAAC on August 06, 2024, 06:30:09 PMSo make mine a FORD everyone knows its ;

First On Race Day

Found On Road Dead

Fiat
Feeble Italian Attempt at Transportation

GMC
Grief and Maintenance Constantly

KIA
Korean Imitation Automobile

deathsled

Quote from: 98SVT - was 06GT on August 06, 2024, 06:51:10 PM
Quote from: FL SAAC on August 06, 2024, 06:30:09 PMSo make mine a FORD everyone knows its ;

First On Race Day

I have heard of the Ford one before, but never the others.  Pretty creative!

Found On Road Dead

Fiat
Feeble Italian Attempt at Transportation

GMC
Grief and Maintenance Constantly

KIA
Korean Imitation Automobile

crossboss

Quote from: FL SAAC on August 06, 2024, 06:30:09 PMThe answer is not C, its :

And MOPAR stands for;

MY OLD PIG AIN'T RUNNING

LMAOOOOO !

MOPAR

First On Race Day

[/quote
Quote from: FL SAAC on August 06, 2024, 06:30:09 PMThe answer is not C, its :

And MOPAR stands for;

MY OLD PIG AIN'T RUNNING

LMAOOOOO !

MOPAR

First On Race Day

This coming from a guy with a toasty burnt Shelby...
Past owned Shelby's:
1968 GT-350--Gold
1968/70 Olds 442 W-30