News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Taking the 15 year old son for a ride

Started by deathsled, July 18, 2024, 06:38:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deathsled

He sure isn't into cars like me. At his age I would have poured over this car. The ride ended and he just walked away. I have to elicit commentary about the Shelby.  He also added 6 pounds since he arrived July 1st from Germany. He needs to shed some weight. ASAP But he also grew half an inch since here. Seems unreal.
"Low she sits on five spoke wheels
Small block eight so live she feels
There she's parked beside the curb
Engine revving to disturb
She's the princess from his past
Red paint gold stripes damned she's fast"

BDT 739

Years ago, I took a young person visiting the United States from Austria on a eventful ride and he was almost speechless saying it was like a ride at six flags.

Jim Herrud

Quote from: BDT 739 on July 18, 2024, 07:12:58 PMYears ago, I took a young person visiting the United States from Austria on a eventful ride and he was almost speechless saying it was like a ride at six flags.
I have a similar story. Our company's Quality VP was visiting our off-site and needed a ride back to our main plant. I was heading that way and offered to take him. He'd immigrated from India about 15 years prior and in all that time had never experience a performance car.

We climbed into my '65 Mustang Fastback with a modified engine and soon got caught at a red light. We were waiting for a left turn in at this lightly traveled intersection. He noted the rumble from the Mustang's engine and asked, "What motor do you have in this?" 

I replied, "It's a 289 V-8."

"289? What is that in liters?"

"About 5 liters"

His eyes widened. He said, "My car only has 1.6 liters! Is it fast?"

"Would you like me to show you?"

"Sure!"

The light turned green. I launched into a smokey power-drift around the corner, let it hook up and continued up to about 50 MPH. He was hanging on with a huge grin on his face. "That was like a carnival ride!"

2 months later, instead of a Toyota, he was driving a BMW M3 to work. I like to think I brought another one into the fold. 
Shelby Buff.
I used to be a "Vintage Car" guy. Now I'm just a "Vintage" car guy.
"There's never enough horsepower - Just not enough traction." - C.S.
Straight Roads are for Fast Cars. Turns are for Fast Drivers.

deathsled

It's probably how I drive.  Not exactly seat of the pants with my grannie shifting at 3,000 rpms.  He did like the Boss better because I got on it a little more.  No doubt once he gets behind the wheel (of my Towncar on life support) next week (if he passes the test for his learner's permit), he may develop a greater interest.  If not, we are all on our individual journeys through life.  He will have to find his own path.

FL SAAC

Quote from: Jim Herrud on July 19, 2024, 02:59:00 PM
Quote from: BDT 739 on July 18, 2024, 07:12:58 PMYears ago, I took a young person visiting the United States from Austria on a eventful ride and he was almost speechless saying it was like a ride at six flags.
I have a similar story. Our company's Quality VP was visiting our off-site and needed a ride back to our main plant. I was heading that way and offered to take him. He'd immigrated from India about 15 years prior and in all that time had never experience a performance car.

We climbed into my '65 Mustang Fastback with a modified engine and soon got caught at a red light. We were waiting for a left turn in at this lightly traveled intersection. He noted the rumble from the Mustang's engine and asked, "What motor do you have in this?"

I replied, "It's a 289 V-8."

"289? What is that in liters?"

"About 5 liters"

His eyes widened. He said, "My car only has 1.6 liters! Is it fast?"

"Would you like me to show you?"

"Sure!"

The light turned green. I launched into a smokey power-drift around the corner, let it hook up and continued up to about 50 MPH. He was hanging on with a huge grin on his face. "That was like a carnival ride!"

2 months later, instead of a Toyota, he was driving a BMW M3 to work. I like to think I brought another one into the fold.

You Sir are a Guru and made him effect a positive transition into performance car land.

Keep up the good work !
When you arise in the morning, think of what a precious privilege it is to be alive to breathe, to think, to enjoy, to love. ~
Marcus Aurelius

"Home of the "Amazing Hertz 3 + 1 Musketeers"

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

FL SAAC

Quote from: deathsled on July 19, 2024, 04:02:43 PMIt's probably how I drive.  Not exactly seat of the pants with my grannie shifting at 3,000 rpms.  He did like the Boss better because I got on it a little more.  No doubt once he gets behind the wheel (of my Towncar on life support) next week (if he passes the test for his learner's permit), he may develop a greater interest.  If not, we are all on our individual journeys through life.  He will have to find his own path.

Oh Swami Ricardo, ye have little faith in the new generation.

Give the young sapling some time to accommodate and absorb your zest for that sporty type of life that you lead.

I predict in due time he will be chanting and banging those gears

Om shanti, shanti, shanti......Namaste
When you arise in the morning, think of what a precious privilege it is to be alive to breathe, to think, to enjoy, to love. ~
Marcus Aurelius

"Home of the "Amazing Hertz 3 + 1 Musketeers"

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

GeotechDuck

I have been taking my 10 year old daughter to cars and coffee on the weekends for close to a year.   She finally says to me "I like riding in the car, but looking at all those other cars is just boring.   Can we just go for a cruise instead?"

I like that she enjoys the car, but I kinda miss my cars and coffee partner  ;)
1966 Shelby GT 350H / 2008 Shelby GT

JohnSlack

Quote from: GeotechDuck on July 20, 2024, 10:21:23 AMI have been taking my 10 year old daughter to cars and coffee on the weekends for close to a year.   She finally says to me "I like riding in the car, but looking at all those other cars is just boring.   Can we just go for a cruise instead?"

I like that she enjoys the car, but I kinda miss my cars and coffee partner  ;)

11 years old was where my daughter would start to engage with my friends and realized that the cars are about the people who you collect along the way.

The "Hov" came over to the house the first time and we were prepared to just sit in the garage and talk about our cars. About twenty minutes into the conversation my daughter came out to meet "The Hov" the next two and a half hours were spent discussing various bands, songs, albums, etc. my daughter can hold her own on the history of Rock and Roll. So when we get to a car show she's just who she is and holds her own conversations.

She was invited to be a junior judge at a Concours d'elegance, my wife and I were sure she would have voted for a blue car, any really good looking blue car as best in show. At the end of the day when we got back together I asked her which car she had chosen she replied, the older 1950s American LaFrance Fire truck.

They are drawn to what they like, she'll grow into it. Now at 25 years old she's my garage buddy, and when we go to car shows she's still not predictable as to what she likes best.

John

deathsled

He seems fascinated with both car washes and gas stations I am beginning to realize.  I warned him about the car wash business based upon what we have observed in my area of closures since Covid.  My father ran a Texaco gas station on Woodbine Avenue and Steeles in Toronto back in the early 70s but could not make a go of it.  i still remember the uniform my grandfather had as an employee at the station.  Maybe the son can get into selling car products.  Who knows?  I suggested grave digger or running a funeral home (the dark side of me coming out) but he wants nothing to do with it.  Lawyer is also off the table.  That one I get.

spiller

Hey deathsled, I noticed in your pic that the radio antenna has been modified on your car. Are you able to share any details? I like it!

deathsled

Quote from: spiller on August 31, 2024, 08:34:08 AMHey deathsled, I noticed in your pic that the radio antenna has been modified on your car. Are you able to share any details? I like it!

Sorry for the late response.  Just noticed your inquiry now.  It is a retractable radio antenna I purchased.  Might have been from NPD.  The originals of course did not retract.  The retractable gives the car a smoother look about it I think.  Total day two car as I have said.  Might do a kill switch there some day.