News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Detroit Locker noise

Started by Mikelj5S230, July 19, 2024, 11:21:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mikelj5S230

My '65 has a Detroit Locker rear end I am assuming. Is it normal to hear clunking noises when backing up and turning the front wheels sharply?  Thanks.
Formerly known as CorvetteMike.

Rickmustang

Absolutely. Should sound like bowling ball is in your trunk sometimes

Mikelj5S230

Thanks, I have never had one before but had heard they were "clunky" compared to most posi-trac units.

shelbydoug

Quote from: Mikelj5S230 on July 19, 2024, 11:21:19 AMMy '65 has a Detroit Locker rear end I am assuming. Is it normal to hear clunking noises when backing up and turning the front wheels sharply?  Thanks.

Yes. It can be very distracting. Sometimes backing up it feels like you have backed into something like another car.

A friend's wife driving the car for the first time thought she backed over a garbage can.

In an emergency situation a traffic cop directed me to make a full stop and then a tight left hand turn. Just from stop and letting out the clutch easy, it spun the inside left tire and left rubber. The cop thought that I was mocking him.

It didn't last long in my car because of these "kwirks". It constantly sounded like the rear was broken, which it was not. I don't need more paranoia. I replaced it with a traction-lok.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

roddster

Yep, I had a Locker in my now gone 66 GT Mustang.  Clanks are normal.

sg66

Just wait until some day when you're cruising around 50 mph and the locker locks. You'll think you snapped an axle but you didn't.

SFM5S000

I run a Locker in my car, on the street. It engages and disengages. It makes a big bang of a noise. I know what it is. So what?
What's the issue? If you're expecting or wanting a quiet pleasure drive, drive something else.

Cheers,
~Earl J

Bob Gaines

Quote from: SFM5S000 on July 20, 2024, 02:40:22 PMI run a Locker in my car, on the street. It engages and disengages. It makes a big bang of a noise. I know what it is. So what?
What's the issue? If you're expecting or wanting a quiet pleasure drive, drive something else.

Cheers,
~Earl J
Yes, That's just the way it is.  ;D
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Royce Peterson

The old Detroit Lockers, say those made prior to 1985, are noisy and I love the sound they make! However about 1985 the unit was redesigned for quieter operation. Any of those that you buy now (other than the full competition "H" series) are utterly quiet. 

1968 Cougar XR-7 GT-E 427 Side Oiler C6 3.50 Detroit Locker
1968 1/2 Cougar XR-7 428CJ Ram Air C6 3.91 Traction Lock

Mikelj5S230

Quote from: SFM5S000 on July 20, 2024, 02:40:22 PMI run a Locker in my car, on the street. It engages and disengages. It makes a big bang of a noise. I know what it is. So what?

Cheers,
~Earl J
Yes, coming from the more civilized world of C2 Corvette Sting Rays and late '60s Shelbys the '65 GT350 is a real challenge for a nice sedate cruise to the grocery store. It steers like a truck, rides like a stagecoach, and you really have to slam it into the gears. It is loud, and rough, and so is a nice departure from my usual vintage driving equipment.  It is similar to my '63 Z06 fuelie tanker though.  I am still getting used to it, and swapping the Blue Dot tires for radials did make it much better. I need more seat time, but I am getting it.

sfm5

Quote from: Mikelj5S230 on July 20, 2024, 04:36:45 PM

Cheers,
~Earl J
Yes, coming from the more civilized world of C2 Corvette Sting Rays and late '60s Shelbys the '65 GT350 is a real challenge for a nice sedate cruise to the grocery store. It steers like a truck, rides like a stagecoach, and you really have to slam it into the gears. It is loud, and rough, and so is a nice departure from my usual vintage driving equipment.  It is similar to my '63 Z06 fuelie tanker though.  I am still getting used to it, and swapping the Blue Dot tires for radicals did make it much better. I need more seat time, but I am getting it.

I have a locker on my '65 and its definitely part of the joy of driving a raw "fully analog" car with no comforts. The locker make clunky noises but I understand they are pretty bullet proof so not to worry. My car is not restored thus always makes other squeaks & noises but I would not want it any different! All part of the exhilarating experience of driving a '65 GT350!
65 GT350

shelbydoug

Quote from: sfm5 on July 21, 2024, 11:32:24 AM
Quote from: Mikelj5S230 on July 20, 2024, 04:36:45 PM

Cheers,
~Earl J
Yes, coming from the more civilized world of C2 Corvette Sting Rays and late '60s Shelbys the '65 GT350 is a real challenge for a nice sedate cruise to the grocery store. It steers like a truck, rides like a stagecoach, and you really have to slam it into the gears. It is loud, and rough, and so is a nice departure from my usual vintage driving equipment.  It is similar to my '63 Z06 fuelie tanker though.  I am still getting used to it, and swapping the Blue Dot tires for radicals did make it much better. I need more seat time, but I am getting it.

I have a locker on my '65 and its definitely part of the joy of driving a raw "fully analog" car with no comforts. The locker make clunky noises but I understand they are pretty bullet proof so not to worry. My car is not restored thus always makes other squeaks & noises but I would not want it any different! All part of the exhilarating experience of driving a '65 GT350!

They are not necessaeily as bullet proof as suggested. They are only safe for certain types of racing. Not all.

The carrier case has a propensity for cracking the case.

It is more prevalent with the torque generated by a big block. The torque of only a 289, not so much but possible.

If I recall correctly, they are banned from NASCAR. The issue being that if you break an axle, you will spin the car, so NASCAR considered them a safety hazard.

At the time, Ford only had traction locking devices for the 28 spline axles and the 31 splines were noy available until about the 68 model year. That really explains why there were no 67 GT500's with "limited slip".

It is definitely associated with the character of a '65 GT350 and there is no question that there are those that have their own favorite model years for different reasons.

I've been around Shelby cars for almost 60 years now and one of the constants that I still see is that every model year owner thinks that their's is the best, the only "real Shelby" and the others are all just a little bit nutz. Secretly of course. ::)

Personally I never claimed to be anywhere need "normal", so don't even go there.

68 GT350 Lives Matter!

pbf777

If you think a Detroit is noisy mounted in a 9-inch under a Mustang, you ought to hear (and feel) what they're like when mounted in my Military M813 5-ton cargo truck with two of them in the dual rear axles!  :o

Scott.

shelbydoug

"A deuce-n-a-half".

The nose comes up on a '65 around 135 and the steering gets light. Surprisingly easy to do if you can drive a "stick".

Not so much on that truck.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

KR Convertible

Did somebody say "Deuce and a Half"?  My younger son just traded for one.

You cannot view this attachment.

Just as a size reference, my younger son is the larger of the two at 6'5" and 340 pounds.