News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Graveyard of car washes

Started by deathsled, July 23, 2024, 01:47:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deathsled

Has anyone else noticed a proverbial graveyard of car washes in their area since Covid?  I count at least three, one of them a large upscale one.  Eerie. I should get photos and post.
"Low she sits on five spoke wheels
Small block eight so live she feels
There she's parked beside the curb
Engine revving to disturb
She's the princess from his past
Red paint gold stripes damned she's fast"

FL SAAC

Quote from: deathsled on July 23, 2024, 01:47:54 PMHas anyone else noticed a proverbial graveyard of car washes in their area since Covid?  I count at least three, one of them a large upscale one.  Eerie. I should get photos and post.

Car Washes no, up and running like usual.

What's taken a beating fast food restaurants,  a few Wendy's and at least one Burger King have boarded up and closed.

When you start charging for a burger combo meal almost as much as a sit down local restaurant.

YOU LOOSE BIG DOGS McDs, Wendys,BK, Popeyes, KFC your next in line
When you arise in the morning, think of what a precious privilege it is to be alive to breathe, to think, to enjoy, to love. ~
Marcus Aurelius

"Home of the "Amazing Hertz 3 + 1 Musketeers"

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

rhjanes

Not in our area of North Dallas/Ft Worth.  All the car washes are open.  Some good one's changed hands and became terrible.  Well according to social media.  I hand wash in the driveway.
Some fast food places have shut.  Some needed to.  Terribly run and run down in quality. 
Pirating!  Corporate take-over without the paperwork

tesgt350

Not here, a few new ones even opened up.  I was even thinking about opening up a "Bikini Car Wash" and charging $25 for just a Wash, you stay in your Car.

Royce Peterson

Seems like there are more car washes built every week here in Tulsa.
1968 Cougar XR-7 GT-E 427 Side Oiler C6 3.50 Detroit Locker
1968 1/2 Cougar XR-7 428CJ Ram Air C6 3.91 Traction Lock

98SVT - was 06GT

2 of our local places have closed and been replaced with vac your own and drive through the tunnel past the big wind at the end to dry it. They have a club you join https://blisscarwash.com/memberships/ $23 a month and $10 per wash looks like the best deal.
The last local full service place is charging $31 and of course you've gotta add $5 for a tip - I don't think they'll be around much longer
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang, 1998 SVT 32V, 1929 Model A Coupe, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

deathsled

Here are two artifacts around my area. If I get a chance I will photograph the high end one a little further away. As a footnote I wash my own cars with detailer's soap and microfiber wash mit.

deathsled

Here is the high end car wash that went down.

Side-Oilers

Sad sign of the times.

Same thing here in San Diego area.  When it takes 20-or-so people to operate an average carwash, and all of them want $20+ an hour, no wonder they're closing up.  The gift shop can't sell enough over-priced candy and greeting cards to make up for that. 

It ain't the 1960s anymore.
Current:
2006 FGT, Tungsten. Whipple, HRE 20s, Ohlin coil-overs. Top Speed Certified 210.7 mph.

Kirkham Cobra 427.  482-inch aluminum side-oiler. Tremec 5-spd.

Previous:
1968 GT500KR #2575 (1982-2022)
1970 Ranchero GT 429
1969 LTD Country Squire 429
1963 T-Bird Sport Roadster
1957 T-Bird E-model

Royce Peterson

Looks like the woke cities are seeing a decline in car washes.
1968 Cougar XR-7 GT-E 427 Side Oiler C6 3.50 Detroit Locker
1968 1/2 Cougar XR-7 428CJ Ram Air C6 3.91 Traction Lock

Water use regulations might also be a factor.

deathsled

Another broken down borderline haunted car wash on a road that leads to Elgin. Worthy of a short horror story.