News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Air Cleaner Lid

Started by 67 GT350, August 01, 2024, 10:41:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

67 GT350

I am in the process of helping a dear friend get a few cars running after sitting. On a 66, I had to take off the air cleaner assembly. What I noticed was the chrome top was beautiful condition, however it was very thick and heavy. This think felt like a tank could run over it and it would not bend!! Ideas? ID numbers anywhere?
RARE  Signature Delete

Bob Gaines

Quote from: 67 GT350 on August 01, 2024, 10:41:38 AMI am in the process of helping a dear friend get a few cars running after sitting. On a 66, I had to take off the air cleaner assembly. What I noticed was the chrome top was beautiful condition, however it was very thick and heavy. This think felt like a tank could run over it and it would not bend!! Ideas? ID numbers anywhere?
No ID numbers on the lid .The thick and heavy is a sign of a original lid. The repros are thinner and lighter . The profile of the lid is another tell.The typical repro does not have sharp angles in the contours of the lid.The original does. Gradual contours of the profile typically indicate a reproduction . I am not near my picture files but hopefully someone will post some profile pictures.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

roddster

Do us a favor and weigh that lid. That will give us a baseline to go by (hopefully) in the future.

s2ms

Dave - 6S1757

Bob Gaines

Quote from: roddster on August 01, 2024, 11:01:25 AMDo us a favor and weigh that lid. That will give us a baseline to go by (hopefully) in the future.
I have found the heavy ones to not all weigh the same.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

GT350Lad

This is perhaps the best image to help tell an original
From the other post. I found it helpful
6S373
6S1276

67 GT350

Quote from: roddster on August 01, 2024, 11:01:25 AMDo us a favor and weigh that lid. That will give us a baseline to go by (hopefully) in the future.

I will next time I go there....IF that is what it is, then that is the first one I ever saw!!!
RARE  Signature Delete

roddster

OK, another indicator would be to measure the thickness. Either the gauge or in thousands.

67 GT350

just weighed it and it looked to be about 3.5 lbs.
RARE  Signature Delete