News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

1965 Notchback used in the 2019 movie Ford v Ferrari

Started by Mikael Zingmark, August 03, 2024, 06:15:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mikael Zingmark

This 1965 Notchback was featured in the movie Ford v Ferrari. It played the role of SFM5R538 driven by Roger West. Four Notchbacks were built for the Daytona race, two empty cars that were blown up and two drivable with full Nascar rollbars. Both with C4 automatic. One was hit by the Holman Moody GT40 and is now in a German car collection and the other is mine which is untouched and has a full race patina done by the film crew.

shelbydoug

I don't know the history of 5R538 but shouldn't that be a fastback?

Is that the R that Claude DuBois converted in Europe to a coupe to compete there?

I do know the name of West now, but no one paid much attention to it back then unfortunately.

In any case, very cool car and thank you for posting these pics. I never would have noticed the significance from the movie.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

deathsled

Very aesthetically pleasing presentation.  I do believe that Doug is correct about the Claude DuBois R that was converted to a coupe.  However, I thought that car was missing.  I looked up 5R538 and that was Charlie Kemp's R model with the dayglo front valance.
"Low she sits on five spoke wheels
Small block eight so live she feels
There she's parked beside the curb
Engine revving to disturb
She's the princess from his past
Red paint gold stripes damned she's fast"

Mikael Zingmark

Yes of course, you are both right. This is not an original Shelby but a replica. It's more like a Shelby Group two car as it is a notchback. The GT40, Ferrari P3 or the Porsche cars were all replicas. I'll never be able to afford a real Shelby so I'll have to settle for a movie car. Here are some pictures from the making of the film

deathsled

Now your car has historic significance being tied in with the movie. 
"Low she sits on five spoke wheels
Small block eight so live she feels
There she's parked beside the curb
Engine revving to disturb
She's the princess from his past
Red paint gold stripes damned she's fast"

Mikael Zingmark

6R07mi

5R538 & 5R212 both competed @ 66 Daytona 24 hrs.

5R212 Kearney / Reina #90 finished 2nd GT +3.0 18th OA
5R538 R West / D Malcom #99 DNF
Former owner 6S283, 70 "Boss351", 66 GT 6F07, 67 FB GT
current: 66 GT former day 2 track car 6R07
20+ yrs Ford Parts Mgr, now Meritor Defense

98SVT - was 06GT

Randy Richardson of LASAAC sold all those cars for the movie company. Including all the Ferrari and GT40 replicas with their Chevy LS engines and a ton of incomplete Falcons from the assembly line scene. Jim Marietta has the badly crashed/bent/burned coupe. It was sitting on top of his office at the OVC shop (at Shelby's warehouse in LA). Now that place is sold and I don't know if he took it with him to Orange County or just left it there.
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang, 1998 SVT 32V, 1929 Model A Coupe, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless