News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Passing of a Orig owner 68 Shelby GT500 fastback

Started by 68cobra427, August 05, 2024, 03:02:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

68cobra427

I found out a person I know that has this car has passed. How long should I wait till contacting his family to see what their going to do with the car. Hiland green Paint all faded, Orig black interior, did run 15 yrs ago. Numbers matching, 4sp car. All there including orig hubcaps.

Jhockman

I know how it feels to have  Vultures coming at you left and right for cars. No respect I bet they feel the same!

JohnSlack

Sometimes (99%) of the time it's not about the cars, it's all about the people. There are quite a few people who will try and be first in line to buy that car. I've always told my wife that the first person who comes to her about buying any of my stuff is NOT the person that I want to have my stuff.

She has a list of people that I would trust to help her choose where my stuff goes. I would suspect that this cat did also.

John

TOBKOB

I have missed out on a few cars because I waited to give the family some time only to find out later they sold the car very soon... :)    :-\    >:( If you know someone close to the family get them to tell them you would like a chance when they decide to do something.

TOB
1969 GT350 owned since 1970

FL SAAC

Quote from: TOBKOB on August 05, 2024, 08:38:29 PMI have missed out on a few cars because I waited to give the family some time only to find out later they sold the car very soon... :)    :-\    >:( If you know someone close to the family get them to tell them you would like a chance when they decide to do something.

TOB

+1 he who hesitates
When you arise in the morning, think of what a precious privilege it is to be alive to breathe, to think, to enjoy, to love. ~
Marcus Aurelius

"Home of the "Amazing Hertz 3 + 1 Musketeers"

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

Steve McDonald Formally known as Mcdonas

Quote from: JohnSlack on August 05, 2024, 05:23:05 PMSometimes (99%) of the time it's not about the cars, it's all about the people. There are quite a few people who will try and be first in line to buy that car. I've always told my wife that the first person who comes to her about buying any of my stuff is NOT the person that I want to have my stuff.

She has a list of people that I would trust to help her choose where my stuff goes. I would suspect that this cat did also.

John

I agree, i have a list of the few people i would trust with my almost 6 decades of collecting this stuff.
Told the wife to get my buddies to clear out all the Shelby stuff, toss it in the F350 Dually, or the trailer with the car, hook it all together and start calling. I started a inventory list of all the crap I've got and its a lot more than I remember. I even have some duplicates of stuff that she is instructed to just give away "to the right people"
Owned since 1971, NOW DRIVEN OVER 250,000 MILES, makes me smile every time I drive it and it makes me feel 21 again.😎

JohnSlack

Quote from: Steve McDonald Formally known as Mcdonas on August 06, 2024, 03:25:54 PM
Quote from: JohnSlack on August 05, 2024, 05:23:05 PMSometimes (99%) of the time it's not about the cars, it's all about the people. There are quite a few people who will try and be first in line to buy that car. I've always told my wife that the first person who comes to her about buying any of my stuff is NOT the person that I want to have my stuff.

John

I agree, i have a list of the few people i would trust with my almost 6 decades of collecting this stuff.
Told the wife to get my buddies to clear out all the Shelby stuff, toss it in the F350 Dually, or the trailer with the car, hook it all together and start calling. I started a inventory list of all the crap I've got and its a lot more than I remember. I even have some duplicates of stuff that she is instructed to just give away "to the right people"

My daughter and I have put together an Excel spreadsheet sheet that not only lists everything, but where I have it in storage.

John

Kent

Interesting thread. I can feel everything here as I also missed to buy some cars as I were hesitating. And I also want to make a list for parts etc. but I think my wife also can register here and ask. I think thats also a good idea.
SAAC Member from Germany and Owner of a unrestored 1967 Shelby GT500, 1968 1/2 Cobra Jet´s and some nice Mustang Fastback´s 67/68

QuickSilverShelby

Quote from: TOBKOB on August 05, 2024, 08:38:29 PMI have missed out on a few cars because I waited to give the family some time only to find out later they sold the car very soon... :)    :-\    >:( If you know someone close to the family get them to tell them you would like a chance when they decide to do something.

TOB

I agree.  Let someone in the family know that you're interested in the car and that you're willing to pay the full appraised price for it.  Let them know your not looking for a deal, that you love the car and you appreciate the history, the owner and let them know that the money is not as important.  It's more important to be apart of its future and carry on the cars legacy.

Unless of course you're looking for a deal, then just do what ever you want.

QSS
You miss 100% of the shots you don't take.

68cobra427

I left a message with the daughter. Asked what is going to happen regarding the car.

98SVT - was 06GT

Quote from: JohnSlack on August 05, 2024, 05:23:05 PMSometimes (99%) of the time it's not about the cars, it's all about the people.

She has a list .....

This is very true. A friends dad was out walking in his neighborhood (late 70s) and spotted an old Ferrari in a garage. The owner was out so he struck up a conversation. Over the next few years they'd chat cars when they saw each other. One day he went by and the wife said he'd passed. She said he had wanted him to have the Ferrari. He explained it was worth quite a bit of money and he could not afford it. She countered with he wanted you to have if for what he paid $5,000. The deal was completed the next day. After a while he had saved enough money to restore it - but not to any high level. After quite a few years he sold it due to failing health. https://www.fantasyjunction.com/sold/1951-ferrari-340-america-by-ghia/overview
BTW: those "unique" brake ducts were actually made with an axe during the race. Not to cool the brakes but to cool the tires which were failing in the high heat. Once home they were cleaned up and given the hotrod louver look.
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang, 1998 SVT 32V, 1929 Model A Coupe, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

shelbymann1970

Hard to say as the widow of the original owner of my 68 GT500 4 speed car was contacted real quick by neighbors and friends. I knew about the car from her nephew. I work with her nephew and she knew a lot about me and I knew her late husband. I hoped to get the car but knew she had friends who wanted it. I was told she felt I'd do the car justice so 2.5 years later she let the car go. Maybe I was the person dumb enough to give her about what she wanted. Don't know, don't care as I just wanted the challenge of doing this car. I guess my advice is if you know a friend of the family or a relative of the family who isn't a direct family member(wife, kids) use them as a contact saying that when they think it is time to sell you are waiting. 
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990
1970 GT350 4 speed(owned since 1985).
  MCA gold 2003(not anymore)
1969 Mach1 428SCJ 4 speed R-code (owned since 2013)
"2nd" owner of 68 GT500 #1626

Coralsnake

A lot of people want

A lot of people make offers
The original Influencer, check out www.thecoralsnake.com

68cobra427

All I can do is wait since I called. I also found a farmer that has health issues that is the 2nd owner of a 70 Boss 9. Has not run in 15yrs. Missing orig motor but I think I tracked it down. The family knows I want it and I made a cash offer. Up to them if they want to take it.

vtgt500

Etiquette dictates there is a proper way to do this.  Discover who the attorney was for the gentleman that passed.  Essentially, who drew up his will.  Then, contact that attorney to reach out to the heirs.

My close friend and car enthusiast passed suddenly with no will.  The descending vultures. including relatives he despised, reinforces my disdain for humanity.