News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

OVC R Model methodology and critique

Started by deathsled, August 07, 2024, 10:38:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

deathsled

Letting the trunk click pin drop could scratch the paint.  Closing the door using the interior release handle could loosen the handle and stress the little splines within the handle.  Better practice would be to let the click pin down gently against the paint or better still, reinsert said click pin back into its base.  Second, the door might best be closed just holding onto the body of the door thereby preventing any lateral torque from being applied to the door handle and consequently loosening said door handle. 
On the plus side of the ledger she exercised good technique opening the door and also turning on the kill switch along with an adept and not too aggressive turn of the ignition key.  Activation of both the electric fuel pump and hitting the start button, not to mention careful consideration to donning the shoulder and lap belts were well executed.

Thank you and Good day sir!
"Low she sits on five spoke wheels
Small block eight so live she feels
There she's parked beside the curb
Engine revving to disturb
She's the princess from his past
Red paint gold stripes damned she's fast"

Bob Gaines

A couple of observations. Typically in optimum seating position and properly seat belted up you have to stretch against the belts to reach to turn the key if you can even reach it at all. I and others add a extension to the key handle to make it easier to reach and turn. Mine is simple, functional but not glamorous. Some R models have a console on the tunnel for start and other switch's for better reach. Typically you press down on the hood /trunk pin plate before removing the click pin to keep the pin from dragging across and scratching the plate. They had the pin adjusted a little above the plate so in the example no harm no foul  however ideally the pin would be just touching the plate so as to keep tension on hood/trunk lid so as not allowing to rattle.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

deathsled

Excellent observations, Bob. I do the same with 843 as to pushing down on the hood before pulling the pins. Agreed though that she seemed to execute the maneuver without controversy. I remember Rick Lopes had the same feature with his ignition key. I always thought the extension was to allow for corner workers to kill the engine in the event of a mishap. But then again foolish me, that is what kill switches are for.
"Low she sits on five spoke wheels
Small block eight so live she feels
There she's parked beside the curb
Engine revving to disturb
She's the princess from his past
Red paint gold stripes damned she's fast"