News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

1965 instrument panel

Started by SCOTTGTK, August 07, 2024, 03:43:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SCOTTGTK

Question for the masses... will a 1965 instrument panel fit in a factory GT car.. The dash does have the semi circular section taken out confirmed. My concern is that portion that's been taken out to accomodate the 1966 instrument panel will leave a potential gap under the 1965 panel. Any help would be much appreciated. Goes withhout saying, I don't have the 65 panel, just considering it or I could eye ball it.

SCOTTGTK

Quote from: SCOTTGTK on August 07, 2024, 03:43:57 PMQuestion for the masses... will a 1965 instrument panel fit in a factory GT car.. The dash does have the semi circular section taken out confirmed. My concern is that portion that's been taken out to accomodate the 1966 instrument panel will leave a potential gap under the 1965 panel. Any help would be much appreciated. Goes withhout saying, I don't have the 65 panel, just considering it or I could eye ball it.

kram350

If a standard '65 instrument panel is installed you will see the "dip" from the '66 speedometer. You would have more involvement with rewiring.   

SCOTTGTK

Thanks Kram350... that's my fear. I don't understand your comment about wiring? Do you mean problems with wiring, changing from a 66 panel to a 65?

SFM6S

The under dash harnesses are different between the full instrument bezel and the earlier 65 harness with the "idiot" lights.

Joe

SCOTTGTK

Thanks Joe.... different in that, difficult to rewire? Here's my situation in a nut shell... I have a factory GT, factory K code numbers matching FB, that was cloned 1966 GT350 in early 1970. I'm trying to change the 1966 influence IE 66 instrument panel and replace with 65 instrument panel. Being that it's a factory GT that cut out in the dash to allow for the speedo of 1966 cluster is there and sounds like there may be a gap visible if the 65 instrument panel is used. I don't want to spot weld anything to cover that cut out indicative of a true GT. Hope this make sense to all.... any suggestions would be welcome! Thanks in advance!

tomhawk

The 65 GT had the same round gauges as the 66 gauges but the bezel was different than 66.  The 66 Holdover cars had the 65 GT gauge package. Also the 65 Gt glove box door is different than a standard door.

CharlesTurner

Quote from: SCOTTGTK on August 11, 2024, 03:29:43 PMThanks Joe.... different in that, difficult to rewire? Here's my situation in a nut shell... I have a factory GT, factory K code numbers matching FB, that was cloned 1966 GT350 in early 1970. I'm trying to change the 1966 influence IE 66 instrument panel and replace with 65 instrument panel. Being that it's a factory GT that cut out in the dash to allow for the speedo of 1966 cluster is there and sounds like there may be a gap visible if the 65 instrument panel is used. I don't want to spot weld anything to cover that cut out indicative of a true GT. Hope this make sense to all.... any suggestions would be welcome! Thanks in advance!

If you're trying to put it back as a stock setup for a '65 GT, it should have a 5 dial cluster.  If the car had standard interior, the inserts in the bezel were black camera case.  If deluxe interior the inserts were woodgrain.  Same bezel for both, just different stick on inserts depending on interior type.
Charles Turner
MCA/SAAC Judge

SCOTTGTK

I may not be describing it well.... it is a factory GT, currently has a 1966 instrument panel... I'd like to replace that 66 panel with the 65 panel as it's a 65 GT350 clone now. I believe that small space in the dash where the speedo had a small portion taken out will show with the 65 panel in place as kram350 points out at the begining of this thread. Not sure if there's anything I can to avoid that short of staying with the 66 cluster panel.

KR Convertible

65 GTs got the round speedometer with a slightly different bezel than the 66.  Picture is correct 65 GT cluster, with standard
interior.  Deluxe interior would have woodgrain.  Ammeter will be an inductive loop, rather than the 2 post connection type.

KR Convertible

The lower picture looks like a deluxe interior woodgrain glovebox door in black and white, but I couldn't separate the images.  It should be camera case (bumpy black) texture.

I was going to post a link to a good GT identification website, but the three I looked at all had errors and I didn't want to steer you wrong.

SCOTTGTK

I understand the 65 GT got the 66 instrument panel... my question is will the small space that was cut out of the dash to allow the 66 panel to fit in factory 65 GT's show? My car is a clone 65 GT350 and in keeping with that theme, I want to replace the incorrect 66 panel for the 65 panel that would have been correct for the GT350 in 65. I'm worried that small cut out in the dash will show...I have a beat up 65 panel (non working) that I can place and see if the space shows... just thought there maybe ideas out there that someone has experienced.

KR Convertible

I thought you wanted to go back to the way it left the factory.  Try it.

kram350

Use some body filler and paint to close the gap. If you want to go back to a 5 gauge cluster break out the filler.

SCOTTGTK

Yeah, thanks for the help! Seems i'll have to try it and go from there.
Thank you all!  Love this group/forum !