News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Value of a 1968 Shelby GT500 KR

Started by frankmoreno, August 10, 2024, 02:10:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

frankmoreno

Hi,

My Dad has a 1968 GT500KR that he got into an accident 30 years ago, drove the car home, and it's been sitting in the garage since. He sold the original 428 and put a 351 (yeah, I know, I know). The front fenders need replacing and the front grill and such. I'm sure it's rat infested in the engine. It will need a complete mechanical restoration as well as the body work. It's not the original olive color with the white stripes anymore either.

I'm trying to determine a fair price to buy it since he needs some money and I would appreciate your input. FYI my dad wants to keep it in the family, as do I, so I have no intention of flipping it. Thank you.

Coralsnake

There are A LOT of factors that go into determining value.

Condition being one, history and completeness.

This will not be an easy exercise.

If you want some assistance, you may email me directly at Coralsnake68@hotmail.com

Pete

http://www.thecoralsnake.com/Price.html

The original Influencer, check out www.thecoralsnake.com

roddster

Pete is going to give you an honest answer.
   But in general, a good place to start is how much a driver car goes for, then deduct what you would need to buy in order to get dad's car to that shape. 

Coralsnake

He is not serious. On another site, he is agreeing its worth 30k

tesgt350

Quote from: Coralsnake on August 12, 2024, 01:53:31 PMHe is not serious. On another site, he is agreeing its worth 30k

Well, if it needs Floors, Rear Quarters, Complete Front Clip and Inner Structure plus Engine & Accessories and complete Repaint then Yeah, about $30K seems right.

Coralsnake

Ok, find me some $30k KRs

I will wait.....

Cars with 1967 frame rails and reproduction tags are selling for $150k plus on some auction sites.

While I agree there is not information to accurately estimate the value, throwing low ball numbers is not the answer

98SVT - was 06GT

Quote from: Coralsnake on August 12, 2024, 01:53:31 PMHe is not serious. On another site, he is agreeing its worth 30k
Sure - he doesn't own it his dads does. Dad needs some bucks so the kid is going to buy the car. Will dad sell it to him for $30 or decide to sell it on the open market for more? I've found a lot of times family loyalty goes out the window when the $$$ increase.
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang, 1998 SVT 32V, 1929 Model A Coupe, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

69 GT350 Vert

Pictures would help determine value.  If the vin-stamped inner fender aprons are present and able to be repaired, that means it won't be a rebody and adds a good amount of value.  If all original vin tags are present, that adds more value.  Original paperwork adds value.  The body and mechanicals can be repaired during restoration. 

Bill

Quote from: frankmoreno on August 10, 2024, 02:10:28 AMHi,

My Dad has a 1968 GT500KR that he got into an accident 30 years ago, drove the car home, and it's been sitting in the garage since. He sold the original 428 and put a 351 (yeah, I know, I know). The front fenders need replacing and the front grill and such. I'm sure it's rat infested in the engine. It will need a complete mechanical restoration as well as the body work. It's not the original olive color with the white stripes anymore either.

I'm trying to determine a fair price to buy it since he needs some money and I would appreciate your input. FYI my dad wants to keep it in the family, as do I, so I have no intention of flipping it. Thank you.

Frank,

Pete (coralsnake) can assist you, kind of, but the only real way to value a car "as it sits" will be to hire a qualified appraiser who can lay their hands and eyes on it.

Bill

PS: Beware of private messages with offers to take such a project off your hands, or for a small fee they can offer you an appraisal just based on a few pictures, for estate purposes, they cannot. Lots of vultures troll this site. I'll leave it at that.
Instead of being part of the problem, be part of a successful solution.
HOW TO IDENTIFY A FORUM TROLL
https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=16401.0

shelbymann1970

Quote from: tesgt350 on August 12, 2024, 02:14:11 PM

Well, if it needs Floors, Rear Quarters, Complete Front Clip and Inner Structure plus Engine & Accessories and complete Repaint then Yeah, about $30K seems right.
Well I agree with Pete, find us some 30K KRs. I paid a lot more for my GT500 that needs a resto. When I see rusted 67-69 Mustang fastback shells needing rust repair in the high 20s a KR is worth a hella lot more.
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990
1970 GT350 4 speed(owned since 1985).
  MCA gold 2003(not anymore)
1969 Mach1 428SCJ 4 speed R-code (owned since 2013)
"2nd" owner of 68 GT500 #1626