News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Heater motor tape 65-66

Started by 6s1640, August 14, 2024, 02:12:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

6s1640

Hi all,

Brant at VCM posted an image of an unrestored 65 GT350's heater motor from the engine compartment.  He notes the tape around the "seam" of the motor.  I have also seen this tape with the heater motor two wires under the same tape.  I presume to prevent the wires from getting in the way at San Jose plant during engine and tranny installation.  Once the engine is installed, the taped wires are no longer needed and has no reel purpose.  Was this wire taping random or was the wire taping introduced in later production.  Thoughts?

Cory

JD

have seen similar tape used on '67 Shelby's (San Jose) cars as well, not trapping the two wires.
'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

Coralsnake

The tape was used to seal the two halves of the motor. I have seen quite a few, but not with the wires under the tape
The original Influencer, check out www.thecoralsnake.com

J_Speegle

Yes have witnessed evidence that suggests that the two or three (on very early Mustangs) wires for the heater motor where held to the motor during installation of the heater through the firewall at San Jose in the early years. This might have been an attempt to save time/money which did not produce the expected results. Happened all the time. Can think of a few more that lasted short periods of production

Since so few originals exist with fully intact motor tape its often missed or if it were done any evidence of it not being done it makes determining exactly when this was the practice. Because of this I think it would be difficult, at this date, for a pattern to be established. Of curse such a study would include many more Ford and Mercury models built at Milpitas with similar electrical motors. 

Add to that that the small tear could be on the bottom of the electric motor once installed making it even more difficult to se.
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge