News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Steve's 250k mile Hertz car = a "Cult Car"?

Started by mark p, August 25, 2024, 10:41:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mark p

The Simeone Foundation Museum closed out the special "Cult Car" Exhibit yesterday, alongside their Aerodynamics Demonstration Day. I suppose that I had wondered, "exactly what is a Cult Car?" Now - after seeing the exhibit - the answer is still, "I have no idea". Two examples that would not seem to fit the description were close to each other in the Museum's main space - the famous 250k mile Hertz GT350 and a '57 Thunderbird.
Congrats to Steve for having his car on display [again].

The Demonstration Day featured a bunch of the Museum's cars - including the Daytona Coupe and the GT40 Mk IV  :) - and a special guest - McLaren 750S  8)
"I don't know what the world may need, but a V8 engine's a good start for me" (from Teen Angst by the band "Cracker")

66 Tiger / 65 Thunderbird / '22 Mach 1

deathsled

I would say examples of cult cars would be the Bullitt Mustang or Ken Miles's 5R002 race car.  Any significant race car with provenance.  Or movie cars such as Christine.  Any car that has a mystique about it.  Much like the cult of personality.
"Low she sits on five spoke wheels
Small block eight so live she feels
There she's parked beside the curb
Engine revving to disturb
She's the princess from his past
Red paint gold stripes damned she's fast"

sfm5

Quote from: deathsled on August 25, 2024, 10:52:08 PMI would say examples of cult cars would be the Bullitt Mustang or Ken Miles's 5R002 race car.  Any significant race car with provenance.  Or movie cars such as Christine.  Any car that has a mystique about it.  Much like the cult of personality.

Agree. Toby Halicki's car from the original Gone in 60 Seconds, or the Challenger from Vanishing Point also come to mind. To me a cult car would have enough fame/significance that is has a following.
65 GT350

FL SAAC

Cult cars ?

Just like the mafia, does not exist

One thing all cult car owners and followers share is an unmatched passion for their chosen vehicles. Celebrated by a devout following, cult classics are extraordinary cars for a number of reasons. 

Cult status is all about a car with something a little bit special, offbeat or tempting to a particular group of people. 

Sick puppies.....enjoy !
When you arise in the morning, think of what a precious privilege it is to be alive to breathe, to think, to enjoy, to love. ~
Marcus Aurelius

"Home of the "Amazing Hertz 3 + 1 Musketeers"

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

Steve McDonald Formally known as Mcdonas

i drove it there from SAAC 49, but because i changed the tires to the original Goodyear BlueStreak's (perhaps the worst tires ever made) i trailered to Philly for the Cult Car Show after SAAC 49.
I'm going to Hershey for the AACA Meet in Oct and two other judged shows under AACA rules, so I'll keep the tires on until after the Hilton Head Concours in late Oct and then change back to my "street" tires after that.
i drove the car over 3,000 miles between early May until just after SAAC. car has 250,118 miles on it now
Fall is the best time to drive, cool days, fall colors and twisty roads. What could be better.
Should I try for 300,000? by 2030? That's 8,300 miles per year for 6 years or a little under 700 miles per month.
It doable but I may not be able do it as I will be into my 8th decade by then
Owned since 1971, NOW DRIVEN OVER 250,000 MILES, makes me smile every time I drive it and it makes me feel 21 again.😎

deathsled

Quote from: Steve McDonald Formally known as Mcdonas on August 26, 2024, 04:40:04 PMi drove it there from SAAC 49, but because i changed the tires to the original Goodyear BlueStreak's (perhaps the worst tires ever made) i trailered to Philly for the Cult Car Show after SAAC 49.
I'm going to Hershey for the AACA Meet in Oct and two other judged shows under AACA rules, so I'll keep the tires on until after the Hilton Head Concours in late Oct and then change back to my "street" tires after that.
i drove the car over 3,000 miles between early May until just after SAAC. car has 250,118 miles on it now
Fall is the best time to drive, cool days, fall colors and twisty roads. What could be better.
Should I try for 300,000? by 2030? That's 8,300 miles per year for 6 years or a little under 700 miles per month.

Ask yourself "why couldn't you do it?"  Eighth decade ain't nuthin'.  Motor on!
"Low she sits on five spoke wheels
Small block eight so live she feels
There she's parked beside the curb
Engine revving to disturb
She's the princess from his past
Red paint gold stripes damned she's fast"

FL SAAC

Quote from: Steve McDonald Formally known as Mcdonas on August 26, 2024, 04:40:04 PMi drove it there from SAAC 49, but because i changed the tires to the original Goodyear BlueStreak's (perhaps the worst tires ever made) i trailered to Philly for the Cult Car Show after SAAC 49.

Remember what Sammy Langhorne always said:

Age is an issue of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it doesn't matter.

Mark Twain

When you arise in the morning, think of what a precious privilege it is to be alive to breathe, to think, to enjoy, to love. ~
Marcus Aurelius

"Home of the "Amazing Hertz 3 + 1 Musketeers"

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert