News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Wisdom after watching BaT

Started by Coralsnake, August 27, 2024, 01:12:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pbf777

I can't count the number of times I've attended auctions (this often being equipment, or just "stuff" auctions, and sometimes it's by the pallet load) and witnessed after the auctioneers' gavel fell, the high bidder stepping forward thru the crowd asking: "what'd I get"?!   ::)

And although often these monetary value sums might not be that of a Shelby, often this is for hundreds and even in the thousands of dollars.   :o

As my Grandmother often used to say:  "Fools and their money soon part"!   ;) 

Scott.

shelbymann1970

What is interesting to me is the buyers of some of these cars. Would you shell out 50K for a stock without fully researching it or the advice of a trusted broker/financial guy? But people shell out 6 figures on a car they know nothing about. One guru here has seen it in Boss 429s inspecting them AFTER the purchase and informing the buyer how much more they need to spend to make the car right.
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990
1970 GT350 4 speed(owned since 1985).
  MCA gold 2003(not anymore)
1969 Mach1 428SCJ 4 speed R-code (owned since 2013)
"2nd" owner of 68 GT500 #1626

J_Speegle

Yes, it's not just BAT it happens at all auctions. BAT just makes it more visible and in some cases obvious

Recall selling a GT350 (67) at an auction and the guy asked me if the car was a KR,  ::)  Did not even think or know to at least start with the side stripes.

The reason he had to have a KR? He had read in a fairly recent newspaper article (that should date when the sale took place) that the best investment at that time was a KR. So he was following them with just recommendation.

Can't tell you how many fakes I've seen for sale and change hands over the years.  But for some reason, likely bragging rights, it is not important to some to have a correct or in some cases complete car, just to have a pretty one that they can show off to friends or list as part of their collections. Seems to have always been this way.
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

shelbymann1970

I remember the crash of 87 quite well. I had bought my B9 for 4500 in primer in 86 and sold it painted but still apart for 25K in 1988(private gotta have it price). Also sold a 69 Mach1 for twice what I had into it the day before and paid off my first house.  :) At that point my wife has NEVER questioned me on parts or paint spending on cars. Many do not remember but that in 87 was the start of the big block craze. Car Market was dropping in 1991 when I sold my 70 GT500 drag pack  I had just restored for 28K( wanted 35K).
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990
1970 GT350 4 speed(owned since 1985).
  MCA gold 2003(not anymore)
1969 Mach1 428SCJ 4 speed R-code (owned since 2013)
"2nd" owner of 68 GT500 #1626