News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

6S798 - on Bring A Trailer

Started by silverton_ford, August 27, 2024, 08:08:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

silverton_ford

Link: https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1966-ford-shelby-mustang-gt350-2/?utm_source=Iterable&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=campaign_2648441

Description:

This 1966 Shelby Mustang GT350 was ordered on January 20, 1966, with initial delivery to Young Motor Company of Charlotte, North Carolina. It was specified in Sapphire Blue with optional 14″ alloy wheels and rear seats, and its first owner took delivery in May 1966. Between 2012 and 2015 a bare-metal restoration was commissioned, which included disassembly, acid dipping, and repainting of the body, retrimming the black interior, and a mechanical overhaul with a rebuild of the 289ci HiPo V8. It was then exported to the UK and spent a number of years there before additional work was performed in 2021, which consisted of rebuilding the Holley carburetor and installing unused factory rear drum brake components along with an upgraded bias valve. The current owner acquired the car in 2022 following its re-importation to the US. This GT350 is now offered in Scottsdale, Arizona on dealer consignment with a copy of the original invoice, service records, and a clean Texas title.

Between 2012 and 2015, the car was disassembled, the body was acid-dipped, metal work was performed, and it was then repainted its factory shade of Sapphire Blue. It has a steel-framed hood with a scoop and pins as well as white side stripes, side scoops, and dual mirrors.

The car was ordered with optional 14″ 10-spoke alloys, and the BFGoodrich tires measure 205/70. GT350s were factory-equipped with Kelsey-Hayes front disc brakes as well as larger rear drums than standard Mustangs, and the suspension geometry was reworked with lowered inner pivots of the front control arms, heavy-duty springs, Koni shocks, override traction bars, and rear torque-control arms. The rear drums were reportedly replaced with unused factory components around 2021, at which time an upgraded brake-bias valve was fitted.

The car was ordered with optional rear seats, and GT350s were equipped with competition belts from the factory. The interior was reupholstered during the aforementioned restoration, and in 2021 the dashboard dimmer was replaced with an unused factory component and the lap belts were refurbished.

The steering wheel has a GT-350-logo center cap and frames a 140-mph speedometer flanked by an ammeter as well as fuel-level, oil-pressure, and coolant-temperature gauges. A Cobra-logo 9k-rpm tachometer is center-mounted atop the dashboard. The five-digit odometer was reset at the time of the restoration, and the 6k miles shown represents the mileage accrued since that time. Total mileage is unknown.

Shelby modified with 289ci HiPo V8 with a cast-aluminum high-rise intake manifold for the four-barrel Holley carburetor as well as headers, a baffled aluminum oil pan, and cast-aluminum valve covers. Advertised output was 306 horsepower and 329 lb-ft of torque. The engine was rebuilt as part of the 2012-2015 restoration, and in 2021 the carburetor was overhauled, ignition components were changed, and fluids were replaced. Photos of stampings are provided in the image gallery below.

Power is routed to the rear wheels through a four-speed manual transmission.

Copies of the original invoice to Young Motor Car list equipment a total of $3880.75.

April 2012 SAAC correspondence is included in the sale.

A description of the 2012-2015 restoration work is further shown in the gallery.

Shelby literature, memorabilia, a copy of the 1966 Shelby Registry, and a period road test are also included.

CharlesTurner

I hear that Brian guy has a thing for Sapphire Blue '66's  ;-)
Charles Turner
MCA/SAAC Judge

silverton_ford

Quote from: CharlesTurner on August 27, 2024, 09:28:35 PMI hear that Brian guy has a thing for Sapphire Blue '66's  ;-)

::)....... you could say that.    :P

6s1640

According to the registry, the car was repossessed two separate times.  That is crazy. I can see once, but twice? Is that a record to beat?

tesgt350

At $175,000 with 9 Days to go, how high do you think it will get?  $225,000? Higher?

Bob Gaines

The price so far has to be because of the color, 4 speed, and the way it presents itself in the cover picture because It looked wonderful in the cover picture posted here!!  I was surprised and then disappointed however when I looked at the undercarriage and engine compartment. Besides generic parts replacement choices, it certainly didn't inspire confidence in the builder that they were aware of Ford assemblyline authentic build techniques. Everywhere on the underside and engine compartment that I looked were authenticity issues. It makes me wonder about the places that aren't shown in the pictures. Consequently it would not be a high scoring car in a SAAC or MCA concours venue. It would be a lot of writing explaining issues to the entrant. The number one question after color and drivetrain typically is ,"how original is it?". Of course if original authenticity doesn't matter never mind. If authenticity is a concern it can all be fixed it just takes money and someone who knows what they are doing. It looks so strikingly beautiful in the picture I was very surprised at what I found.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

FL SAAC

not surprised at all on the price it's one of "the real ones".....gonna be a good ride, giddy up cowboy !
When you arise in the morning, think of what a precious privilege it is to be alive to breathe, to think, to enjoy, to love. ~
Marcus Aurelius

"Home of the "Amazing Hertz 3 + 1 Musketeers"

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

Coralsnake

Mr Gaines, I think it once again proves the BaT buyers are not discerning in the least.
The original Influencer, check out www.thecoralsnake.com

FL SAAC

just to memorialize the sale

$185,000

The Market has spoken
When you arise in the morning, think of what a precious privilege it is to be alive to breathe, to think, to enjoy, to love. ~
Marcus Aurelius

I have all UNGOLD cars

Coralsnake

The auction has not ended 🤷🏻

FL SAAC

Quote from: Coralsnake on September 03, 2024, 08:57:31 AM

The auction has not ended 🤷🏻

Holy crap 3 more days !

Guess who had a wild weekend in Gainesville?

Who dat ?

See you in 3 moe daze
Marcus Aurelius

I have all UNGOLD cars

shelbymann1970

"185K the market has spoken" ? Not if it doesn't meet it's reserve. I guess some don't know how auctions work sometimes.
 Bob,  The first time I was ever flagged on BaT was on this dealer's auction(I believe he flagged me) on a car where the pics were taken to be framed and the darkness was hiding flaws I could barely make out or strategic pics missing. I made a comment on how the pics were mostly useless for me looking at a car for a friend. Smart marketing for the seller but to me not good for a bidder.I have not gone through all the pics yet but a few of them shows the typical darkness I see on his cars for sale.
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990
1970 GT350 4 speed(owned since 1985).
  MCA gold 2003(not anymore)
1969 Mach1 428SCJ 4 speed R-code (owned since 2013)
"2nd" owner of 68 GT500 #1626

Coralsnake

Not a fan of the dark backgrounds

GT350Lad

It's a good looking car. I think based on what we have seen on BaT before it gets 200+ easy

Let's see
6S373
6S1276

silverton_ford