News:

SPECIAL NOTICE - See SAAC-50 Forum for DATE CHANGE for SAAC-50

Main Menu

1967 Shelby GT 500 Exhaust Manifolds

Started by tgilliam, August 28, 2024, 07:59:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tgilliam

Good Day All,
I have the exhaust manifolds off my car right now and wanted to ask about detailing - should there be engine "blue" overspray on the manifolds in the area where they bolt to the head? Were the manifolds on the engine when the engine was painted?
On some other years, I have seen information/examples of how they should look but do not remember this detail for a 67 GT 500. Thanks for your help.

Tom Gilliam
tom@jtgil.com

Bob Gaines

Quote from: tgilliam on August 28, 2024, 07:59:09 PMGood Day All,
I have the exhaust manifolds off my car right now and wanted to ask about detailing - should there be engine "blue" overspray on the manifolds in the area where they bolt to the head? Were the manifolds on the engine when the engine was painted?
On some other years, I have seen information/examples of how they should look but do not remember this detail for a 67 GT 500. Thanks for your help.

Tom Gilliam
tom@jtgil.com
I used to think overspray however over the years I seen more evidence to suggest that they were not on the engine when painted then that they were. I would not put any paint on the exhaust manifolds . The lift hooks were already painted before being installed.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

tgilliam

Bob,
Thanks for the reply. I really appreciate the information.

Tom Gilliam
tom@jtgil.com

pbf777

It seems that decades ago it was preached that the manifolds were in place and that there should be evidence of overspray present on the manifolds near the flange to the cylinder heads.  But, I always wondered as to if this were true, how was it that particularly in the rushed assembly line process that the painters were doing such a good job of painting the block and head surfaces that would have been shrouded with the manifolds in place when elsewhere there was such evidence of a lack of any great effort.   :-\

So, I have never really bought into the idea that any paint really should be found on the manifolds.   :)

Scott.

Bob Gaines

Quote from: pbf777 on August 29, 2024, 10:55:25 AMIt seems that decades ago it was preached that the manifolds were in place and that there should be evidence of overspray present on the manifolds near the flange to the cylinder heads.  But, I always wondered as to if this were true, how was it that particularly in the rushed assembly line process that the painters were doing such a good job of painting the block and head surfaces that would have been shrouded with the manifolds in place when elsewhere there was such evidence of a lack of any great effort.   :-\

So, I have never really bought into the idea that any paint really should be found on the manifolds.   :)

Scott.
Scott,just to be clear there is meant to be overspray on small block engines from the factory as the exhaust was in place while painting . It is definitively called out in factory documents. The FE however as being discussed here is left to observations as no factory documentation has surfaced to indicate ether way. Our perception of assemblyline techniques has evolved over the years hopefully to the more accurate. The current consensus of opinion is that the FE manifolds were not typically in place while painting.     
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

TLea

It's a plant thing. Dearborn (DEP) which did the FEs did not have manifolds on  Cleveland/Windsor did