News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

March built 63 R code Galaxie on BAT

Started by OldFordGuy, August 30, 2024, 09:08:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OldFordGuy

Seller seems to believe this car came from the factory with a modified 406 block. Anyone ever heard of such a thing? Is March 13th too early in 63 for a R code?

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1963-ford-galaxie-500-47/
1963 Galaxie 427 R code
1965 Mercury Park Lane Super Marauder convertible
Coming soon: OldFordStuff.com

Greg

Extraordinary claims need extraordinary documentation. I would be surprised if there were anything to back up the claim IMO.
Shelby's and Fords from Day 1

OldFordGuy

I seem to remember someone saying that the 63 R codes were all built in the second half of the year which is why people call them 63 1/2 Galaxies. I guess that is not correct.
1963 Galaxie 427 R code

TLea

63 1/2 refers to the later longer sloping roof line

OldFordGuy

Quote from: TLea on September 02, 2024, 10:48:07 PM63 1/2 refers to the later longer sloping roof line

Is that different from the fastback in this auction? If it is I suppose I'll need to compare the 2 side by side to figure out what the difference is. I know there is also a notchback but I thought 63 fastback and 63 1/2 fastback were the same body style.

ETA: After that 63 with the wrong block and heads went for $50k a very nice 64 went up:

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1964-ford-galaxie-500-90/
1963 Galaxie 427 R code

Hipo-Fred

Quote from: TLea on September 02, 2024, 10:48:07 PM63 1/2 refers to the later longer sloping roof line

Yeah, that's the way I always understood the 63 1/2 reference ... early 63 Galaxies had the "boxtop" roofline and 63 1/2 Galaxies were "fastbacks".

Fred

98SVT - was 06GT

Quote from: OldFordGuy on September 03, 2024, 01:23:07 PMETA: After that 63 with the wrong block and heads went for $50k a very nice 64 went up:
Somebody needs to do a  lot of homework on this one. They are cagey about original motor. It should have cross bolted mains. Let's see those and the casting date etc. Are the original wheels available? Those were different. There was also changes to the frame that need to be shown. Also another one with perfect floors but rust pitting on the frame. How much of the body is original.
I turned down a 66 R Code because the guy was playing word games about the frame and body - it had been turned into a gasser with 12" of engine setback then restored/rebodied he wouldn't send detail pics or say how much was replaced.

I attached your 64 R Code homework assignment and th 66 before/after
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang, 1998 SVT 32V, 1929 Model A Coupe, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

OldFordGuy

There's basically 3 kinds of R codes, SVT. Since they were special cars from the get go you have cars like mine with 26k original miles, all original, unmessed with, always garaged, adult owned and nice as you'll find any car from 1963 and then you'll find the ones that were chopped up and raced and beaten on until they broke and lastly you have the restored ones, and you're right, you really have to do your homework on those.

P.S. Checked the build date on mine and it's March 19th (Los Angeles) and it is also a fastback. I know a guy with a 63 R code notchback, I'll have to ask him what the build date is on his. March doesn't seem to me like it would qualify for the extra 1/2 but maybe being a fastback it does.
1963 Galaxie 427 R code

TLea

No, that is a 63 1/2. Prior to the sports roof, which later simply became known as the fastback the 63 is were known as the box tops.
https://www.macsmotorcitygarage.com/total-performance-styling-the-63-%C2%BD-ford-galaxie-fastback/

TLea

It amazes me how undervalued these cars continue to be. I can understand 63 and 64 somewhat because they made thousands of each model year. But get into the 65 to 67 where the numbers got down to less than 300 and you are talking some of the most rare Performance cars forward ever made. The R code Fairlanes bring stupid money, but not the galaxies.
I've never seen a breakdown of how many 65R code XL they made like mine but I would have to think it's probably less than 30

OldFordGuy

Totally agree, TLea. As I said the other day these are the last affordable legendary muscle cars of the 60s and maybe not for much longer. Every youtube video that supposedly lists the fastest cars from the 60s leaves the R code Galaxies and Fairlanes out. They deserve more love.

P.S. I wonder what was the first 63 1/2 fastback. If March of 63 still counts as 1/2, how early in the year were they actually built?
1963 Galaxie 427 R code

OldFordGuy

Also, while we're talking legendary and rare Ford performance from the 60's and affordability, it's astonishing to me that lightweight Galaxies can still be had for $120-140k and I want one.
1963 Galaxie 427 R code

camp upshur

OP, sorry for minor thread-drift (not many kindred places to talk 63 1/2 R-codes these days!).
Saw this sitting unobserved in Reno last month. Driven in, rust was all sun-rust/no cancer, possibly original paint (save for hood), factory fit sheetmetal.
Nice license plate too.

OldFordGuy

Now we're talking! I love it just how it is and wouldn't change a thing. Did they put the SOHC motor in 63s? Is that real?
1963 Galaxie 427 R code

OldFordGuy

According to this video they didn't make the SOHC until 64.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uxau_5OQKi4&authuser=0
1963 Galaxie 427 R code