News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Fire extinguisher

Started by SCOTTGTK, August 31, 2024, 07:04:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SCOTTGTK

Thanks Bill...I'll have to see where it makes most sense in my 65 fastback. Thank again to all who weighed in! Helped me out alot!

SCOTTGTK

Saw the various mounting brackets, thanks Bill. I've ordered 2.

A-Snake

You might want to watch this video before purchasing the Element 50.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAjlLscIizI

SCOTTGTK

Thanks A-Snake... that video shows an "outdoor" "ember" fire which Element's website says is best extinguished with water? I would imagine there are many situations one could be pro Element or con Element, but for the average (if such a thing)fire on one of our prized Mustangs, this extinguisher seems well suited.. hopefully we never have to prove it one way or another.

A-Snake

Quote from: SCOTTGTK on September 02, 2024, 01:57:08 PMThanks A-Snake... that video shows an "outdoor" "ember" fire which Element's website says is best extinguished with water? I would imagine there are many situations one could be pro Element or con Element, but for the average (if such a thing)fire on one of our prized Mustangs, this extinguisher seems well suited.. hopefully we never have to prove it one way or another.
Another viewpoint https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Oy9qD-W58g

SCOTTGTK

Certainly a valid point... so maybe depending on the situation, we should carry each type? The Element and the 2.5# bottle of choice? I may have to go that route!

J_Speegle

Yes there is no one best extinguisher for all situations that is why there are different classes. You can only anticipate (read guess) what your likely to use the extinguisher for then plan accordingly.  With a older vehicles (new ones are different since there are allot more types of materials used to make them now) you can plan on gas/oil and/or electrical fires. Basically each works differently "removing" on side of the fire triangle to extinguish the fire hopefully.

That and really good insurance, as well as a phone, are your best weapons. Of course training on how to use each type of extinguisher. You can't believe the things people will do when they panic and using a fire extinguisher is is a good example of this in my experience
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

Jhockman

Quote from: J_Speegle on September 02, 2024, 03:50:02 PMYes there is no one best extinguisher for all situations that is why there are different classes. You can only anticipate (read guess) what your likely to use the extinguisher for then plan accordingly.  With a older vehicles (new ones are different since there are allot more types of materials used to make them now) you can plan on gas/oil and/or electrical fires. Basically each works differently "removing" on side of the fire triangle to extinguish the fire hopefully.

That and really good insurance, as well as a phone, are your best weapons. Of course training on how to use each type of extinguisher. You can't believe the things people will do when they panic and using a fire extinguisher is is a good example of this in my experience
I heard of someone sticking the hose of the fire extinguisher into the fryer that was on fire and discharging it causing 2nd and 3rd degree burns all over her body!

SCOTTGTK

Thank you all for the info.. I appreciate it! I think I'll be going with multi purpose units...

J_Speegle

Quote from: SCOTTGTK on September 02, 2024, 05:14:54 PMThank you all for the info.. I appreciate it! I think I'll be going with multi purpose units...

Understand that by design most multi-purpose will have some compromises in order to address multiple needs. Though most will tell you differently. Not that this a a bad thing just something that gets figured in when making a choice.
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

FL SAAC

Friend of mine installed this kit in his car

Easy to Install, Maintenance Free
Automatic, Universal Use
Harmless to people and possess no threat to health once activated
HFC agent does not conduct electricity, corrode, or cause thermal shock damage
System does not require an external power supply to activate
When you arise in the morning, think of what a precious privilege it is to be alive to breathe, to think, to enjoy, to love. ~
Marcus Aurelius

"Home of the "Amazing Hertz 3 + 1 Musketeers"

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

NC TRACKRAT

Years ago, we were headed down I-85 when we came up on a VW on the side of the road with the engine on fire. I pulled over and ran over with my 2.5 lb HALON extinguisher, pulled the pin and gave it all I had...but not enough.  The fire had a head start and it couldn't be put out. The VW was "Toast".  OTOH, we were coming out of a restaurant one night when we saw a car with smoke pouring out of the engine compartment. I asked the owner to release the hood lock so I could open it just enough to see inside.  A quick shot of HALON was all it took to put out a small electrical fire, then disconnected the battery.  While HALON is effective `in most instances, keep in mind that substitutes like HALOTRON or similar are far less effective. They don't mention that in their ads.
5S071, 6S1467

J_Speegle

Older VW engines are cast from magnesium so if you have an engine fire one of the worst choices is spraying water on them. It just intensifies the flames, heat and such.  Had a few during my career  ::)

SCOTTGTK

I shhould clarify.. by multi purpose units.... I mean multi type of units... an Element 50 and and Ansul 2.5# clean agent...