News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Original numbers matching engine found do I pay the ransom ?

Started by 427hunter, August 31, 2024, 06:47:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Road Reptile

Hi to all,
Some very important questions are more about condition of the original engine. Many times this is overlooked. As an example rule for any engine is main bearing caps and cylinder bore, and if the original is still standard bore with original caps or has never been machined it would/should be considered most valuable. Let this guide be the most important. A worn out block that is still in need of a rebuild gets expensive.
 Remember you cannot replace metal after is cut. If a block has been properly cared for or stored properly will also matter for its future.
Good Luck with your decision!!
R.R.

Steve McDonald Formally known as Mcdonas

Quote from: 427heaven on August 31, 2024, 09:25:37 PMI have a personal story to share about an Original 1966 Shelby GT 350 engine I removed from my car a few years ago. Engine was listed here and was offered up for the current owner to see and he had NO interest in it, thats ok no big deal. Many owners are willing to purchase anywhere from 7-10 times the amount of a standard 289 because it means that much to have the ORIGINAL engine back in their baby. A few chose to POO POO mine because it was painted black, a few chose to jump on the POO POO band wagon because it had an ORIGINAL COBRA dual quad intake on it and then there was one guy that said it had a FRAM oil filter on it ..... IMAGINE THAT! What some thought was way too much then, is just a drop in the bucket today! I believe my engine sits proudly on display in the FASTEST MAN ON PLANET EARTHS showroom! R.I.P. GEORGE- GOD SPEED!!!
George Poteet bought my old Hertz car (6S1855) from Fanasty Junction. I had put a service replacement short block in my present car (6S1431) and used the original block out of 1431 to install into 1855. I kept the original block for 1855 (needed a sleeve because of a carb nut being swallowed) and he called me after he bought the car. We came up with a reasonable price and he reunited the engine with the car. Side note, he offered me a chance to drive a car at Bonneville. A true gentleman among racers
Still searching form my original engine block which was changed out of 1855

Owned since 1971, NOW DRIVEN OVER 250,000 MILES, makes me smile every time I drive it and it makes me feel 21 again.😎

roddster

capecodmustang.com

So...
A previous owner has the engine to your 66 GT 350 and wants $8000 for it?

Buy it.

Just my .02...

427hunter

Quote from: capecodmustang.com on September 01, 2024, 10:10:38 AMSo...
A previous owner has the engine to your 66 GT 350 and wants $8000 for it?

Buy it.

Just my .02...

I am stewing on it Bret - also it's just the short block.
"You keep using that word, I do not think it means what you think it means"

Inigo Montoya

"This life's hard, man, but it's harder if you're stupid"

Jackie Brown

2000 hours of my life stolen by 602 over three years

Bill Collins

Perhaps you should consider this from another perspective - that is, not the intrinsic value of the short block but rather its enhancement value to your car. I have sold hundreds of Shelbys over the past 45+ years, so this analysis is based on actual experience.

Let's assume you presently have an unrestored driver quality GT350H with a non matching engine. A conservative market price may be in the range of $125,000. My experience is that a correct but non matching number engine historically lowers the value by 15-20%. So with a matching engine, your car becomes worth between $146 - $156,000. Let's say $150,000.

So for a cost of $8000 plus rebuild / installation you have a likely gain of $25,000 in value.

Another factor is, that at current price levels, many buyers will refuse to consider a non original engined example, as they are chasing the "investment value". So acquiring this short block will bring them back as potential purchasers whenever you decide to sell, thereby widening your range of buyers.

Enthusiast since 1965, SAAC charter member since 1975 and Regional Rep since 1985, GT350 Owner since 1971, 289 Cobra owner 1979-2016, Ford GT owner 2006 - 2017

427hunter

Quote from: Bill Collins on September 01, 2024, 11:39:03 AMPerhaps you should consider this from another perspective - that is, not the intrinsic value of the short block but rather its enhancement value to your car. I have sold hundreds of Shelbys over the past 45+ years, so this analysis is based on actual experience.

Let's assume you presently have an unrestored driver quality GT350H with a non matching engine. A conservative market price may be in the range of $125,000. My experience is that a correct but non matching number engine historically lowers the value by 15-20%. So with a matching engine, your car becomes worth between $146 - $156,000. Let's say $150,000.

So for a cost of $8000 plus rebuild / installation you have a likely gain of $25,000 in value.

Another factor is, that at current price levels, many buyers will refuse to consider a non original engined example, as they are chasing the "investment value". So acquiring this short block will bring them back as potential purchasers whenever you decide to sell, thereby widening your range of buyers.

All good points - my car is not a Hertz car but I understand what you are saying - I was just hung up on the ransom part but I have decided to go get it.

Inigo Montoya

Jackie Brown

trotrof1

Question, Did you tip your hand about the engines origin or did the seller want the big number regardless?

98SVT - was 06GT

Quote from: 427hunter on September 01, 2024, 11:54:50 AM..... I was just hung up on the ransom part but I have decided to go get it.
Like all car parts - buy once cry once. You always need to buy the best available part to avoid having to throw the cheap part in the trash and do the job over. In this case there is only 1 part that is correct for your car.
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang, 1998 SVT 32V, 1929 Model A Coupe, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

98SVT - was 06GT

Quote from: Steve McDonald Formally known as Mcdonas on September 01, 2024, 09:21:23 AMGeorge Poteet bought my old Hertz car (6S1855)

We lost a true car guy a couple months ago. He was an eclectic collector of anything on wheels. He bought and built what he liked not what was fashionable or would increase in value.

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a61622585/george-poteet-land-speed-record-setter-obituary/
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang, 1998 SVT 32V, 1929 Model A Coupe, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

deathsled

"Low she sits on five spoke wheels
Small block eight so live she feels
There she's parked beside the curb
Engine revving to disturb
She's the princess from his past
Red paint gold stripes damned she's fast"

Shawn

I would assume you're the only person willing to pay the ransom.  You have the car it belongs in and no one else.  If you say "not interested" what could this person realize on a sale?  Was the asking price established  prior to you becoming an interested party?  Certainly the block may only worth $8K to the current caretaker of your car (you).  This seller seems to be an opportunist and not an enthusiast of all things Shelby American. Sad circumstances you have to deal with such greed. Fair and reasonable would be a swap for your motor + small premium. 

Good luck with Mr Potter

427hunter

Quote from: Shawn on September 01, 2024, 03:53:47 PMI would assume you're the only person willing to pay the ransom.  You have the car it belongs in and no one else.  If you say "not interested" what could this person realize on a sale?  Was the asking price established  prior to you becoming an interested party?  Certainly the block may only worth $8K to the current caretaker of your car (you).  This seller seems to be an opportunist and not an enthusiast of all things Shelby American. Sad circumstances you have to deal with such greed. Fair and reasonable would be a swap for your motor + small premium.
Quote from: Shawn on September 01, 2024, 03:53:47 PMI would assume you're the only person willing to pay the ransom.  You have the car it belongs in and no one else.  If you say "not interested" what could this person realize on a sale?  Was the asking price established  prior to you becoming an interested party?  Certainly the block may only worth $8K to the current caretaker of your car (you).  This seller seems to be an opportunist and not an enthusiast of all things Shelby American. Sad circumstances you have to deal with such greed. Fair and reasonable would be a swap for your motor + small premium. 

Good luck with Mr Potter

Good luck with Mr Potter

Yes that's what's upsets me - but on the bright side SFM6S853 will now be complete again.

Inigo Montoya

Jackie Brown

JohnSlack

Quote from: 427hunter on September 01, 2024, 03:58:07 PM

Good luck with Mr Potter

Good luck with Mr Potter

Yes that's what's upsets me - but on the bright side SFM6S853 will now be complete again.

I'm sorry, If someone called me with the object of selling me my original block for a ransom I'd get their contact information and put it on the website and tell them to pound sand. This is NOT the reason any of us got into the hobby, end of story. If the guy is in the hobby congratulations he has just joined the "Screw me over on anything that I ever need club". In the future when someone wants to know why you don't have your original block post a link to this clowns information.

At some point someone needs to just say, hey I drive my car, if you charge me too much for my numbers matching block I'll just put holes in it when the rods leave the crankshaft.

Blow him off he has a customer base of 1...

John

RickD

Is the seller approachable from the standpoint of understanding he is helping you complete an original Shelby?  There is value in that way beyond the cash. All of the comments posted have been about the money.  I say show your hand to him and see if he understands the value of completing this car.  That block should sell to you for its actual value and a handshake.  I guess if that don't work....buy it and let this guy go ahead and damage his own reputation.