News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Original numbers matching engine found do I pay the ransom ?

Started by 427hunter, August 31, 2024, 06:47:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deathsled

If the car wasn't so special, then ignoring the offer wouldn't matter so much.  Sometimes it is a much larger thing that drives the motivation for a big asking price, and I would pin some of it on the macroeconomics of an enormously mismanaged economy that we have endured for a specified period of time.  Men may be feathering their nests for a possible upcoming devastating blow in the not-so-distant future.

As an addendum, couldn't the engine be sleeved as part of a rebuild as opposed to boring it out?  My rudimentary understanding is that the 289 engine can only be bored .030 once and then no more due to the thin wall construction, no?
"Low she sits on five spoke wheels
Small block eight so live she feels
There she's parked beside the curb
Engine revving to disturb
She's the princess from his past
Red paint gold stripes damned she's fast"

427hunter

Quote from: deathsled on September 01, 2024, 06:12:00 PMIf the car wasn't so special, then ignoring the offer wouldn't matter so much.  Sometimes it is a much larger thing that drives the motivation for a big asking price, and I would pin some of it on the macroeconomics of an enormously mismanaged economy that we have endured for a specified period of time.  Men may be feathering their nests for a possible upcoming devastating blow in the not-so-distant future.

As an addendum, couldn't the engine be sleeved as part of a rebuild as opposed to boring it out?  My rudimentary understanding is that the 289 engine can only be bored .030 once and then no more due to the thin wall construction, no?

I won't know what I have to do till I tear it apart, supposedly it's standard and spun a bearing, we shall see.  Better to go .30 then sleeve it.  I hope I am able to ball hone it, polish the crank and ring and bearing it - wishful thinking I know.....
"You keep using that word, I do not think it means what you think it means"

Inigo Montoya

"This life's hard, man, but it's harder if you're stupid"

Jackie Brown

2000 hours of my life stolen by 602 over three years

NC TRACKRAT

Question:  He has the short block but do you have all the correct items that were originally on it (intake, carb, dizzy, timing cover, etc.)?
5S071, 6S1467

pchmotoho

I like Greeks idea.  Buy it and use it as a static display until you figure out what you want you do with it.  I would jump at the opportunity to get the original block back.

427hunter

Quote from: NC TRACKRAT on September 01, 2024, 09:01:10 PMQuestion:  He has the short block but do you have all the correct items that were originally on it (intake, carb, dizzy, timing cover, etc.)?

Yes, I alread have a correct hipo 289 in the car - that's why I was reluctant to buy the block.

Inigo Montoya

Jackie Brown

wcampbell

I would be glad that you can at least have the conversation and the gentleman is "open" to helping you reunite the engine with the car.

Consider my situation...a fellow "owner" and "car guy" knows where my engine is and talks to the current owner occasionally - who calls him asking if he's interested in negotiating for the engine. Despite this he isn't willing to let me talk directly to the engine owner even when I offered a "fee" if a deal to get the engine back materialized. Instead he's trying to buy the engine and then deal directly with me. While I'm okay with that too- he doesn't seemed to be interested making this happen to help me reunite the two. So I'm stuck knowing it's out there and potentially available, but a fellow "hobbyist" is blocking me and isn't allowing it to happen. This is almost the total opposite of your scenario.

Grumpy

Quote from: 427hunter on September 01, 2024, 06:33:20 PM
Quote from: deathsled on September 01, 2024, 06:12:00 PMIf the car wasn't so special, then ignoring the offer wouldn't matter so much.  Sometimes it is a much larger thing that drives the motivation for a big asking price, and I would pin some of it on the macroeconomics of an enormously mismanaged economy that we have endured for a specified period of time.  Men may be feathering their nests for a possible upcoming devastating blow in the not-so-distant future.

My rudimentary understanding is that the 289 engine can only be bored .030 once and then no more due to the thin wall construction, no?

Better to go .30 then sleeve it.  I hope I am able to ball hone it, polish the crank and ring and bearing it - wishful thinking I know.....

Once ya go .30 thats the end of the block. I'd sleeve it an keep it standard bore. Sleeving has come a long way. If the standard bore is loose you can cure it with coatings. We race a V6 Buick Turbo. 8 sec @ 150+. Buick blocks are getting harder to get so we try an keep the block survivable for more rebuilds.
.... What if ya did go .30 an had an engine fail ? Shit happeneds ... If ya need an info on coatings message me. 

427hunter

Quote from: Grumpy on September 03, 2024, 12:59:51 PM
Quote from: 427hunter on September 01, 2024, 06:33:20 PM

My rudimentary understanding is that the 289 engine can only be bored .030 once and then no more due to the thin wall construction, no?

Better to go .30 then sleeve it.  I hope I am able to ball hone it, polish the crank and ring and bearing it - wishful thinking I know.....

Once ya go .30 thats the end of the block. I'd sleeve it an keep it standard bore. Sleeving has come a long way. If the standard bore is loose you can cure it with coatings. We race a V6 Buick Turbo. 8 sec @ 150+. Buick blocks are getting harder to get so we try an keep the block survivable for more rebuilds.
.... What if ya did go .30 an had an engine fail ? Shit happeneds ... If ya need an info on coatings message me. 

Appreciate it, I am picking it up this weekend so when I get it home I will know more - I hope I can leave it standard and ball hone it, we shall see.

Inigo Montoya

Jackie Brown

FL SAAC

Quote from: 427hunter on September 03, 2024, 01:27:10 PMAppreciate it, I am picking it up this weekend so when I get it home I will know more - I hope I can leave it standard and ball hone it, we shall see.

Extremely happy you made that decision!
When you arise in the morning, think of what a precious privilege it is to be alive to breathe, to think, to enjoy, to love. ~
Marcus Aurelius

"Home of the "Amazing Hertz 3 + 1 Musketeers"

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

deathsled

GT350Lad

Exciting times! Please keep use posted
And send some pics?
Maybe I missed it but is it just the block?
6S373
6S1276

roddster

deathsled

Quote from: roddster on September 03, 2024, 07:29:30 PMReally, it only matters if it matters to you.
True words Roddster.  Good to see you at the Kane County Concours by the way.

5F09K

I was in the same situation 2 months ago with my 5F09K. I paid $3000 for the original short block. Just the block, no caps, pistons or rods. Standard bore but hopefully no cracks. Currently on the sea to France, I will check it here and hopefully the block can be machined. $3000 for the block and about $1000 for shipping and fees.
But I am happy to give the original  block back to my kar, and it is just a kcode.

hertzz350

If i had the chance to get the original numbers block for my car i would pull the trigger on it. As long as you have it in your possession, it doesnt matter if its in the car or not.
current owner of 6s689
Previous owner of 6s1855 ,6s1297,6s731