News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

'69 Convertible Emblem

Started by Survivor, September 10, 2024, 10:51:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Survivor

Did the '69 convertible come from the factory with the snake emblem on the rear portion of the quarter-or elsewhere.  I have a factory brochure for the '69 Shelby and the picture it shows of a blue convertible does not show any emblem anywhere on the quarter.

Coralsnake

Brochures often depict pre-production vehicles or prototypes.

Yes convertibles have emblems on the rear quarters
The original Influencer, check out www.thecoralsnake.com

FL SAAC

Hi there

pre production vehicle,  once upon a time we had one

Our 69 had the emblems on the rear quarter's
When you arise in the morning, think of what a precious privilege it is to be alive to breathe, to think, to enjoy, to love. ~
Marcus Aurelius

"Home of the "Amazing Hertz 3 + 1 Musketeers"

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

shelbymann1970

Quote from: Survivor on September 10, 2024, 10:51:40 AMDid the '69 convertible come from the factory with the snake emblem on the rear portion of the quarter-or elsewhere.  I have a factory brochure for the '69 Shelby and the picture it shows of a blue convertible does not show any emblem anywhere on the quarter.
I'm going to repeat what I remember Tony Branda telling me in the early 80s. Pretty much no emblems IIRC then morphed to the snake only then to the snake with the shelby rectangular emblem below it. My May 6th built car had both on the rear quarters of my vert. Historical photos of a silver Jade original owner car from a INSAAC member has just the snake.
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990
1970 GT350 4 speed(owned since 1985).
  MCA gold 2003(not anymore)
1969 Mach1 428SCJ 4 speed R-code (owned since 2013)
"2nd" owner of 68 GT500 #1626

shelbymann1970

more and all are circa 1969 and 1970 photos
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990

Survivor

It looks like the 2nd pic. of the 350 vert. in Brussels does not have the rear qtr. emblems-or am I missing it in the shadows?  Is there any written authority on the subject-maybe some pics/written info. in the Registry or elsewhere?  It seems that it may go either way-is there a point reduction one way or the other if being judged.   

tesgt350

Quote from: FL SAAC on September 10, 2024, 01:58:17 PMHi there

pre production vehicle,  once upon a time we had one

Our 69 had the emblems on the rear quarter's

Looks like Donald Far standing there with his Camera.

Coralsnake

There are assembly line drawings showing the emblems

TA Coupe

Survivor, are you looking for emblems? I've got a few.

Roy
If it starts it's streetable.
Overkill is just enough.

Coralsnake

The original question is regarding the convertible rear quarters. Restored and repainted cars are not acceptable benchmarks

Bob Gaines

It became such a problem during transport that emblems got stolen off the fastbacks and the convertibles that the factory stopped installing them instead leaving it up to the dealer to do the install during pre delivery like steering wheel wrap ,antenna and front spoilers (in the case of the 70's) etc. Some came with just the snake installed and others had the snake and Shelby or Cobra badge underneath the snake . Consequently a informed concours judge would typically accept them either way. The one common denominator was that something was meant to be there. I had a close friend who's dad was a salesman at a Shelby dealer back in the day 1969/70 and we were close to the goings on of the 69/70 Shelby's that were delivered there. 
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Bob Gaines

Regardless of if fastback or convertible the lone snake emblem without the Shelby or Cobra emblem underneath has always been my prefered look.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

FL SAAC

Quote from: Bob Gaines on September 10, 2024, 08:05:03 PMRegardless of if fastback or convertible the lone snake emblem without the Shelby or Cobra emblem underneath has always been my prefered look.

+ 1
When you arise in the morning, think of what a precious privilege it is to be alive to breathe, to think, to enjoy, to love. ~
Marcus Aurelius

"Home of the "Amazing Hertz 3 + 1 Musketeers"

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

shelbymann1970

Quote from: Survivor on September 10, 2024, 02:51:50 PMIt looks like the 2nd pic. of the 350 vert. in Brussels does not have the rear qtr. emblems-or am I missing it in the shadows?  Is there any written authority on the subject-maybe some pics/written info. in the Registry or elsewhere?  It seems that it may go either way-is there a point reduction one way or the other if being judged.   
I posted it because of it didn't have the emblems and it has E-70-15 blackwalls while the fastback in the same show has F-60-15s on it.  Bob made an interesting point about dealers installing them but look at the pastel gray GT500 FB and the silver Jade vert. Both on the lot at the same time and the vert didn't have the Shelby emblem and is an earlier car with the blackwalls on it. I still think like Tony once told me it was a transition. Also the FB snakes are different than the vert snakes to be clear. I have both style and made a mold off the vert so a friend can check his huge bag of snakes to see if any of them are vert emblems.
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990

shelbymann1970

To be clear these 2 cars were at the Indy dealership at the same time. So blackwall tires to me means before April 1 approx. Car has only the snake emblem. FB has F-60-15s so after April 1 both emblems. Pics taken while in town for the Indy 500 in May of 69. Bill's dad was visiting the dealership on Ford business and he and his brother were with him.
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990