News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Suggestions/experiences with hard brake lines

Started by TS69GT500, September 12, 2024, 09:43:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TS69GT500

For replacement hard brake lines I'd like some opinions/suggestions.
Stainless or regular mild steel ?
Also, any preference for supplier,  Classic Tube or Fine Lines.

Thanks,
TonyS

Royce Peterson

The terne plated originals will outlast you. Both vendors make a good product, one is not better than the other. I would find the best price and go with that.
1968 Cougar XR-7 GT-E 427 Side Oiler C6 3.50 Detroit Locker
1968 1/2 Cougar XR-7 428CJ Ram Air C6 3.91 Traction Lock

FL SAAC

What Mr Royce said is true, either or you choose

We went with CC I believe because they had the correct type rear rubber hose for our 69 and its 9 inch rear

Best of luck on your voyage
When you arise in the morning, think of what a precious privilege it is to be alive to breathe, to think, to enjoy, to love. ~
Marcus Aurelius

"Home of the "Amazing Hertz 3 + 1 Musketeers"

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

Road Reptile

Hi,
One more supply company is Inline tube. Have had very decent service and they make very
Nice rear brake cables also in stainless steel if desired. Best way to look after brakes is to flush and replace fluid every 3 years. Or if you start fresh use silicone fluid and unless you are planning to get on the track it should be good for even longer. Works excellent in a show car that is not used/driven much, and will not harm paint. Hope this helps. R.R.

vtgt500

Great question.  I purchased my '68 GT500 for $3000 in 1977.  It has been huge source of joy for 47 years.  Every element has ben the very best money can buy.  Including a brand new, unassembled, side oiler engine built by Roush in '79 to mirror the Lemans winning GT40.  When it came time for a money-no-option, full restoration 20 years ago the brake line choice was clear, Classic Tube. The fit is perfect. Perhaps more important, both the nut and tube are stainless.  No worries of a soft, carbon steel nut rotting in place on a either the master or wheel cylinders.  The trick is, necessary to use nickel anti seize on both the treads and surfaces between the flare and nut.  Or they will gall and prevent proper tightening.  Just this summer, I took the car out of storage after 14 years. A full inspection found no flaws or leaks anywhere.  Last Saturday, a douchebag cut me off in heavy traffic. The perfect brakes prevented a serious crash.