News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

SFM5S208 on BAT

Started by 5s386, September 29, 2024, 10:14:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

J_Speegle

Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

edd1e22

shelbymann1970

What I found perplexing is the seller said he spent 175K on the resto. With a 65 Shelby at 175K shouldn't the car be done totally right? RNM at 247K. Trying to understand spending 175K on this car and it not being right on many fronts listening to posters. Insight from the experts here?
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990
1970 GT350 4 speed(owned since 1985).
  MCA gold 2003(not anymore)
1969 Mach1 428SCJ 4 speed R-code (owned since 2013)
"2nd" owner of 68 GT500 #1626

Coralsnake

Just because someone charges a lot of money is not in anyway indicative of their knowledge.
The original Influencer, check out www.thecoralsnake.com

J_Speegle

Quote from: shelbymann1970 on October 08, 2024, 04:01:20 PMWhat I found perplexing is the seller said he spent 175K on the resto. With a 65 Shelby at 175K shouldn't the car be done totally right? RNM at 247K. ....

The amount spent on a restoration does not guarantee a correctly or completely done restoration. It's just what the builder and owner agreed on. Way too many examples of this though many well-heeled people believe that if they use the most expensive shop/builder then it should be the best restoration. Unfortunately, when they (the owner) discovers the restorations or cars short comings they have to the of challenge to believing an independent option or where they spent a lot of $$$'s. Often they can't except that they didn't spend their money wisely.

Too many IMO examples of this over the years.
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

SBCARGUY

It is pretty simple.
The seller either has no idea what he has or he is trying to hide the actual truth...
I bet most of the sheet metal has been replaced as most of those cars in PERU were road extremely hard and I know this because I used to own one.
The seller will not give any real information except call people names and we all know the entire drivetrain is not original and of course it was "supposedly" restored as a R model.
I might have actually bid on it IF HE PROVIDED ANY WORTHWHILE INFORMATION
Good Grief, I am shocked it got to $325k, $295k and now $247K  8)

QuickSilverShelby

He certainly is persistent, doggedly holding out for less and less money,  Very shred business man.

QSS
You miss 100% of the shots you don't take.

shelbymann1970

Quote from: SBCARGUY on October 08, 2024, 08:14:00 PMIt is pretty simple.
The seller either has no idea what he has or he is trying to hide the actual truth...
I bet most of the sheet metal has been replaced as most of those cars in PERU were road extremely hard and I know this because I used to own one.
The seller will not give any real information except call people names and we all know the entire drivetrain is not original and of course it was "supposedly" restored as a R model.
I might have actually bid on it IF HE PROVIDED ANY WORTHWHILE INFORMATION
I think he attacked you as you were selling your white 66 auto at the time? He kept calling your 66 a Hertz car also? It's nice you use your same handle here as on BaT. I'm close on my name.
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990

sfm5

The seller provided yet another master-class on how to alienate potential buyers that have legitimate questions by accusing them of sandbagging his auction. After three massive fails in 18 months he has likely tainted 5s208 for future transactions.
65 GT350

SBCARGUY

Quote from: shelbymann1970 on October 09, 2024, 06:55:15 AM
Quote from: SBCARGUY on October 08, 2024, 08:14:00 PMIt is pretty simple.
I might have  :( actually bid on it IF HE PROVIDED ANY WORTHWHILE INFORMATION
I think he attacked you as you were selling your white 66 auto at the time? He kept calling your 66 a Hertz car also? It's nice you use your same handle here as on BaT. I'm close on my name.

Yes... he appears to be quite a guy...  :(

SBCARGUY

Quote from: sfm5 on October 09, 2024, 09:06:28 AMThe seller provided yet another master-class on how to alienate potential buyers that have legitimate questions by accusing them of sandbagging his auction. After three massive fails in 18 months he has likely tainted 5s208 for future transactions.

Its sad as it deserves a better showing regardless of it's actual condition

Mikelj5S230

A very sad tale of a car and an owner that just won't be honest. It really is not worth more than it was bid to this time, IMO.
Formerly known as CorvetteMike.

shelbymann1970

My thoughts are on stock cars that left the factories are this: If it was sold as a race car or turned into a race car from day one a conundrum is what livery do you end up at? The very first configuration? A later one if the car had the most success as that livery? So take this car my thoughts are restore it to stock or as raced livery. The end product is neither? Am I correct on this? Of course opinions vary but you are not getting a car restored to what it ever was "back in the day". You are buying a modified 65 Shelby whereas the value is in how stock/original" it is or how it was when modified to race at some point.
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990

Bill

Quote from: shelbymann1970 on October 10, 2024, 07:43:25 AMMy thoughts are on stock cars that left the factories are this: If it was sold as a race car or turned into a race car from day one a conundrum is what livery do you end up at? The very first configuration? A later one if the car had the most success as that livery? So take this car my thoughts are restore it to stock or as raced livery. The end product is neither? Am I correct on this? Of course opinions vary but you are not getting a car restored to what it ever was "back in the day". You are buying a modified 65 Shelby whereas the value is in how stock/original" it is or how it was when modified to race at some point.

Just my personal two cents worth-----If the car has vintage race history, be it on day 1, or day 800, at least to me, it should be kept as a race prepped car. If the current owner wants to restore it to stock, that is his or her prerogative, their car, their money. As far as SFM5S208 is concerned, the current owner/seller was so focused on the money spent on the car, but failed to realize that you can easily be on the wrong side of the economic equation when it comes to restoring an antique car that those figures do not matter. Same goes for the quality of the restoration, or the attention to detail of the same. As of right now, in the current market, he must now realize that he will be losing money with the sale, as there is less of a chance of finding an uninformed buyer just looking to scratch that "Shelby itch".

Bill
Instead of being part of the problem, be part of a successful solution.
HOW TO IDENTIFY A FORUM TROLL
https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=16401.0