News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Completely block updates from a user

Started by DB289, October 02, 2024, 11:05:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DB289

Trying to do this the most polite way possible. There is a user that continues to repeatedly repost their own threads about topics usually irrelevant to Shelby American and or continuously reposting & or commenting on their own classified ads to keep them high in circulation and I'm pretty sick of it. I've been able to block updates from said persons entire region (great feature, thank you for this) but I'm still stuck seeing their spam in the latest forum message updates. Can you introduce a feature so I no longer have to see anything this person says? This forum is such a great tool and most people here are an amazing wealth of information, I'm tired of seeing interesting and relevant topics and comments bumped out of view for someone's post count ego.

Thanks and keep up the great work, I love this club, excited for SAAC 50.

The Troll Free Zone

The majority of us here feel your pain. Have a look at this thread.

Should we remove members post counts from the forum?"

Would be perfect if there was a feature where you could block a user entirely. 

Chris
Previously owned:
1968 Shelby GT500 Gold Concourse
1973 Cougar
1968 Mustang coupe
1966 Mustang 4 speed vert
1965 Mustang coupe
1968 Cougar
1971 Montego
1968 Torino GT
1966 GT350H clone

Drain the Florida swamp

Corey Bowcutt

It is so incredibly annoying, but it appears there is nothing that can be done to stop him.  Nothing seems to dissuade him from endless useless posts.  I have no idea the psychology that drives this behavior but he seems to thrive on negative attention.  I rarely open his posts but it is frustrating to see all the Unread Posts being from one guy who has almost nothing to add to the Shelby discussion.

Dude needs to get a life outside posting

Special Ed

That is his life! I dont post much anymore because when a good  informative subject shows up in the AM it disappears from the board when repeatedly non informative post keep showing up and good subjects get buried and u have to go back and try and find them.

shelbydoug

Quote from: Special Ed on October 03, 2024, 08:42:30 AMThat is his life! I dont post much anymore because when a good  informative subject shows up in the AM it disappears from the board when repeatedly non informative post keep showing up and good subjects get buried and u have to go back and try and find them.

Yes. It is a fault of the design of the system whereby the design presumes "popularity or frequency of occurrence" is the prime motivator and therefore of the most significance.

This issue was raised with the Moderator and blown off completely as, "that's just the way it is" and shelved all "concerns" as, "you will get to like it".

It may in fact be that nothing can be done because this site uses an existing pre-constructed format which can not be altered? I would prefer to think that is the answer rather then the Moderator couldn't care less about the complaints here from "the Peanut Gallery" and "what do you want for free", but only that Moderator knows for sure?

"One" needs to be cautious about their complaints approach here. If you go to the Zoo and poke the lion with a stick, don't be surprised if it tears your head off? Self sacrifice will get you nothing but banned outright.

The only thing that you can do now is block specific posters.

I suppose that the adage of "don't throw away the good in search of the perfect" applies the best here?
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

The Troll Free Zone

Here is another thread you will want to read. Pay particular attention to Bob Gains post #4 as this is where we are currently.

Seeing "Lounge" activity in "Recently Updated Topics"
Previously owned:
1973 Cougar
1968 Mustang coupe
1965 Mustang coupe
1968 Cougar
1971 Montego
1968 Torino GT
1966 GT350H clone

Drain the Florida swamp

Coralsnake

QuoteGreat solution. If the same off topic reply's or even new odd ball threads start to migrate to other non lounge area's now I would think that the troll's dishonorable intent and agenda will be clear to all. At least hopefully clear to all .

Like the "For sale" section?
The original Influencer, check out www.thecoralsnake.com

The Troll Free Zone

Quote from: computerworks on June 05, 2020, 11:29:41 AM
Quote from: Bob Gaines on June 05, 2020, 11:01:23 AMGreat solution. If the same off topic reply's or even new odd ball threads start to migrate to other non lounge area's now I would think that the troll's dishonorable intent and agenda will be clear to all. At least hopefully clear to all .

Should that occur... be sure to report the post in question to a Moderator for disposition

In all fairness, has this been reported to the Forum Guide/Moderator/Director? (rhetorical question)

Previously owned:
1973 Cougar
1968 Mustang coupe
1965 Mustang coupe
1968 Cougar
1971 Montego
1968 Torino GT
1966 GT350H clone

Drain the Florida swamp

Coralsnake

The original Influencer, check out www.thecoralsnake.com

69 GT350 Vert

I post on the Facebook Shelby forums more often than this site because of the poor management of this issue.  I can't help but question if the club itself has similar mismanagement practices. When you have senior and knowledgeable forum members avoiding this site, the cause is already lost.

Bill Collins

Part of the problem is that the method of how posts appear was revised when the system was last updated. Previously, the board initiated a thread whenever a new post was started under a particular topic. Subsequent posts were integrated into that running thread, and that topic reappeared on the board under its original heading only once each time a new post was made, regardless of how many replies occurred. You simply opened it to see the latest post, together with all that preceded it.

The current design causes every subsequent post to an existing thread to newly appear on its own on the board. This clutters the board, and as Ed Meyer pointed out, causes topics of interest to quickly go out of view.

This is a major design flaw in the forum system and I encourage those responsible for its design to abandon this approach and revert to how the posting protocol was previously constructed.
Enthusiast since 1965, SAAC charter member since 1975 and Regional Rep since 1985, GT350 Owner since 1971, 289 Cobra owner 1979-2016, Ford GT owner 2006 - 2017

DB289

So it was my understanding that efforts to find solutions to issues like this belong here under 'forum requests' is there anyone in particular I can contact directly to address this? The latest forum update was great, seems to just need a little more fine tuning. Thanks for all of your replies so far.

The Troll Free Zone

It appears that because of this particular thread/discussion we are not going to see the daily bumping of posts as we usually do.

It's a beautiful day.   :)
Previously owned:
1973 Cougar
1968 Mustang coupe
1965 Mustang coupe
1968 Cougar
1971 Montego
1968 Torino GT
1966 GT350H clone

Drain the Florida swamp

Bill

Quote from: DB289 on October 02, 2024, 11:05:38 PMTrying to do this the most polite way possible. There is a user that continues to repeatedly repost their own threads about topics usually irrelevant to Shelby American and or continuously reposting & or commenting on their own classified ads to keep them high in circulation and I'm pretty sick of it. I've been able to block updates from said persons entire region (great feature, thank you for this) but I'm still stuck seeing their spam in the latest forum message updates. Can you introduce a feature so I no longer have to see anything this person says? This forum is such a great tool and most people here are an amazing wealth of information, I'm tired of seeing interesting and relevant topics and comments bumped out of view for someone's post count ego.

Thanks and keep up the great work, I love this club, excited for SAAC 50.

At one time, this was a sticky at the top of one of the boards. It's status has since been unattached from that spot, but still shows up in my signature line:
https://www.saac.com/forum/index.php?topic=16401.0

Hope you find it helpful.

Bill
Instead of being part of the problem, be part of a successful solution.
HOW TO IDENTIFY A FORUM TROLL
https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=16401.0