News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Here's how to help victims of Hurricane Helene

Started by FL SAAC, October 04, 2024, 06:19:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FL SAAC

Here's how to help victims of Hurricane Helene

PLEASE FEEL FREE TO ADD ANY OTHER ORGANIZATIONS

Many charities and nonprofit groups are accepting donations.

National support

The following national organizations are accepting donations to help affected states.

American Red Cross: The American Red Cross is opening and supporting shelters for people who have evacuated their homes. Make a financial donation or an appointment to give blood by visiting its website. You can also text the word HELENE to 90999 to make a donation.

Salvation Army: The Salvation Army is providing relief, food service and emotional and spiritual care. You can make a donation online by visiting its website.

Americares: Americares teams are coordinating delivery of medicines, relief supplies and emergency funding to support health services. Visit its website to donate and contribute to its efforts.

North Carolina

North Carolina Disaster Relief Fund: Gov. Roy Cooper encourages those looking to donate to contribute to the North Carolina Disaster Relief Fund. His office says the donations will go to nonprofit groups working to meet storm victims' immediate needs, like food and water, cleaning supplies and other emergency supplies.

Florida

Florida Disaster Fund: Gov. Ron DeSantis activated the Florida Disaster Fund to assist communities. The fund distributes funds to service organizations that help with disaster response and recovery.

Georgia

Send Relief: Send Relief is a nonprofit group in Georgia that has activated response sites across the affected regions. Donations to Send Relief supply meals, water, temporary roofing and flood recovery supplies to those sites.

Other resources
It's important to note that the Federal Emergency Management Agency says cash donations to organizations on the ground are the most effective.

FEMA recommends visiting National Voluntary Organizations Active in Disaster to find a list of trusted organizations and additional information about how to help.

If you're still unsure of the best place for your donations, Charity Navigator is a resource that rates charities that are actively providing relief and recovery.

When you arise in the morning, think of what a precious privilege it is to be alive to breathe, to think, to enjoy, to love. ~
Marcus Aurelius Antoninus Augustus

Home of the Amazing Hertz 3 + 1 Musketeers

I have all UNGOLD cars

NC TRACKRAT

....and those that are there are impeding those who are trying to help.  I don't care what your party's affiliation may be, this is the most massive failure on the part of the the Federal Government EVER! There is no leadership!
5S071, 6S1467

Forum Guide

Mod note... keep the politics out of this tragedy.
Thanks

NC TRACKRAT

I, too, fervently wish that politics could be kept out of this tragedy. We all pay taxes and we want the Federal Government to do its job...efficiently, especially when it involves life or death situations like this.
https://youtu.be/z_1Y5LWZ7OE

5S071, 6S1467

FL SAAC

Here is another alternative

the World Central Kitchen

They are providing 5000 meals a day for Hurricane Helen victims.

World Central Kitchen, Hearts with Hands arrive

https://www.citizen-times.com/story/news/local/2024/09/30/world-central-kitchen-hearts-with-hands-distributes-food-water-more/75448814007/
When you arise in the morning, think of what a precious privilege it is to be alive to breathe, to think, to enjoy, to love. ~

I have all UNGOLD cars

FL SAAC

Another source for Georgia

Mission Georgia have set forth a fundraiser for Helene victims through their website.

"In the aftermath of Hurricane Helene, your Georgia neighbors are in need of friends to help their churches and communities recover while sharing the hope of Christ," said Mission's website.

The organization is offering 100% of the donations that they receive to Mission Georgia, Georgia Baptist Disaster Relief and other partners.

I have all UNGOLD cars

FL SAAC

Tennessee Emergency Management

Voluntary Organizations Active in Disaster
The Tennessee Emergency Management Agency works closely with the Tennessee Voluntary Organizations Active in Disaster (TNVOAD) to organize both volunteers and donations for areas that are impacted by disasters and emergencies.

Please note, while local communities appreciate the volunteer spirit during disasters and emergencies, it is important to refrain from sending resources that have not been requested by state or local authorities. 

For more information about volunteering your time, visit: https://www.tnvoad.org/volunteer/
For more information about donations, visit: https://www.tnvoad.org/donate/
Local and regional organizations can also be found on the Tennessee VOAD website. Please visit Tennessee VOAD at www.TNVOAD.org.

I have all UNGOLD cars

FL SAAC

South Carolina hurricane assistance

Visit the South Carolina Emergency Management Division website for up-to-date information on the situation and official guidance.

Non-Emergency Assistance: In Helene's wake, many are facing shortages of food, water, and shelter. If you or someone you know needs non-emergency assistance, please contact SC 211 by dialing 2-1-1 or texting "HELP" or "AYUDA" to 211-211

For individuals with disabilities, please use Able SC's emergency line at 800.681.6805 or their website: https://www.able-sc.org/. If calling after business hours, please call 1.803.233.297

If you need help with damage cleanup after Hurricane Helene,  reach out to Crisis Cleanup at 844-965-1386.

The South Carolina Department of Commerce continues utilizing public and private partners to identify county and business-related needs following Hurricane Helene. Businesses are encouraged to contact the ESF 24 desk (803-737-8524 or esf24@emd.sc.gov) for assistance and to report damage.

Seven general population shelters are currently in operation. 

DONATE SUPPLIES

Neighbors United Drive: United Way of the Midlands will be collecting supplies to replenish local food pantries and provide essential relief items. Donations will be sent directly to United Ways in the areas most affected by Helene, and future storms that may impact our state this hurricane season.

Harvest Hope Food Bank is accepting food donations at their Midlands location (2220 Shop Road, Columbia, SC 29201).

Mission Lexington is accepting food donations at 216 Harmon Street, Lexington, SC 29072.

Latino Community Development is in need of supplies at 209 Dawson Road, Unit 1, Columbia, SC 29223.

Irmo Area Residents: Union Methodist Church at 7582 Woodrow St, Irmo, SC 29063

I have all UNGOLD cars

FL SAAC

No issues in Miami Fl, all is well.

A bit overcast, perception currently at 10%  winds at 19 mph and air quality is good.

Expecting some wind and rain today and tomorrow

Now for the Northern part of Floridaland about to get impacted by hurricane Milton a current category 5 / 4

My heart and prayers goes out to all those folks who just last week got struck by hurricane Helene

Again praying for all who will be affected by hurricane Milton

I have all UNGOLD cars

FL SAAC

Milton has come and gone and luckily, it didn't end up being as bad as it was supposed to be.

We have friends in N Floridaland who said there is no major damage in their area, and in Miami there are no signs of hurricane at all

I have all UNGOLD cars

FL SAAC

With hurricane Milton affecting essentially  the same areas hurricane Helene devasted just thirteen days ago, here are more organizations worth donating to:

@samaritanspurse

@belovedasheville

@opairdrop

@manna_foodbank

Please continue to add specifically local charities that usually do a more efficient job of delivering goods and services to were it's most needed

I have all UNGOLD cars

FL SAAC

sent to me today, looks like a great source of help

U.S. Army Corps of Engineers initiates Blue Roof Program > U.S. Army Corps of Engineers Headquarters > News Release Article View
https://www.usace.army.mil/Media/News-Releases/News-Release-Article-View/Article/2333479/us-army-corps-of-engineers-initiates-blue-roof-program/

I have all UNGOLD cars