News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Need help with ring and pinion

Started by Peter L., October 07, 2024, 03:22:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peter L.

Hello. Looking for a 9" 3.00 ring and pinion gear for my KR. I have a buddy with a wrecking yard, so should be fairly common gear to find. Are there different bearing sizes for the pinion? I have a complete "N" case traction-lok set up, but I need to swap in a 3.00 gear. Would the gear sets be the same for passenger car, truck, etc? Don't want to buy the wrong one.
                Thanks for any advice, help.
                                         Pete.
KR 4052
1969 Fairlane Cobra formal roof drag pack

Peter L.

KR 4052

GOAT12

Yes, the ring and pinion sets are all the same, but various different bearing sizes on the pinion depending upon the pinion support.

Rickmustang

Let the company 8 &9 inch rear ends do it for you

pbf777

Yes, as stated by another: all 9-inch Ford intended ring & pinions fit all 9-inch Ford housings, but there are two different possible pinion bearing sets applicable.

The "standard" pinion support utilizes the paired set of two #M88048 bearing assy's. and the accompanying races #M88010; but if it is the "Daytona" pinion support only one each of the previously identified units, coupled with one set of the #HM89443 bearing assy. and #HM89410 race.

The 'other' difference would be in the use of the "solid" bearing spacer (selected to size) for the Daytona bearing support vs. the "crush-sleeve" utilized in the standard assy..

There are three different carrier bearing sets for the O.E.M. Ford 9-inch, but this consideration involves the relationship of the carrier and housing and doesn't involve the ring & pinion directly.  :) 

Scott.

Peter L.

Thanks for the info. As stated in my op, I have a complete rebuilt traction-lok that I plan on using. However it's a 3.91 gear ratio and I want to swap it to a 3.00.
  Thanks again, Pete.
KR 4052

shelbydoug

I suppose everyone has their own reasons for wanting a specific part to use?

My suggestion is for you to use a new aftermarket ring and pinion set. There are at least a few competent manufacturers now.

I don't understand the necessity of needing to have a "Ford" ring and pinion in this case? I see absolutely no advantage at all to that.

ALL of the bearings and seals for any combination are available right now. You already have the hard to find component in the housing itself.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Peter L.

Just trying to save myself a few bucks. Aftermarket gearsets range from $300-400. Used set I can get for next to nothing. I can pick through multiple sets and look for a decent wear pattern. Sorry, I'm just a cheap a$$. lol
  This is also for a car that is going to see limited driving, so a little noise won't bother me.
                    Pete.
KR 4052