News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Fire Extinguisher Installed in 1968 Shelby GT500KRs at Factory or Dealership?

Started by SUN02591, October 13, 2024, 01:47:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SUN02591

1. Was a fire extinguisher installed in 1968 KRs at the factory or dealership?

2. What was the extinguisher latch location in the KR?  Or did it vary from the upper part of the inside of the trunk, behind or in front of the driver's bucket seat, or behind the center armrest console?

3. What was the weight/size of the fire extinguisher installed?

Thank you very much for your time and assistance in advance!

Don Pealer

Bill

Quote from: SUN02591 on October 13, 2024, 01:47:55 PM1. Was a fire extinguisher installed in 1968 KRs at the factory or dealership?

2. What was the extinguisher latch location in the KR?  Or did it vary from the upper part of the inside of the trunk, behind or in front of the driver's bucket seat, or behind the center armrest console?

3. What was the weight/size of the fire extinguisher installed?

Thank you very much for your time and assistance in advance!

Don Pealer

Don,

No and no, so unfortunately, the rest of your questions are irrelevant.

Bill
Instead of being part of the problem, be part of a successful solution.
HOW TO IDENTIFY A FORUM TROLL
https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=16401.0

Coralsnake

Agreed, it would be very unusual if a dealer installed a fire extinguisher.

It was definitely not a factory item
The original Influencer, check out www.thecoralsnake.com

SUN02591

Much appreciated for the responses!

So it was essentially an owner that installed or carried a fire extinguisher in the KR and decided its placement.

It would definitely make sense since it would be bad publicity for the manufacturer or dealership to install one if it wasn't mandated by federal regulations (e.g. safety belts), suggesting concerns on safety and reliability of the KR.

I was curious since AACA judging rules requires one visibly with the car, usually next to the driver's front tire, and searched to find if there was a dedicated location in the KR.  However, no online or hard copy references that I had accessed suggested this was the case.

This forum has provided the ground truth.

Coralsnake

Individual organizations have different rules.

You will find the most knowledgeable Shelby people here.

I looked at some pictures of your KR it looks nice.

SUN02591

Thank you!  I not only enjoy making my KR as accurate as possible to the original factory details/specifications but maintaining/driving her on the road when the weather is good. 

It's nothing like a Raven Black KR FB with bias ply tires and running on Turbo Blue 110 leaded racing fuel to give me an accurate experience of what it was like driving down the highway in 1968.👍🇺🇸😸 Fun and memorable times!

Coralsnake

Bill

Quote from: SUN02591 on October 13, 2024, 04:26:04 PMMuch appreciated for the responses!

So it was essentially an owner that installed or carried a fire extinguisher in the KR and decided its placement.

It would definitely make sense since it would be bad publicity for the manufacturer or dealership to install one if it wasn't mandated by federal regulations (e.g. safety belts), suggesting concerns on safety and reliability of the KR.

I was curious since AACA judging rules requires one visibly with the car, usually next to the driver's front tire, and searched to find if there was a dedicated location in the KR.  However, no online or hard copy references that I had accessed suggested this was the case.

It's not car brand or model specific, show organizations like the AACA, (MCA also I believe) and some others require a fire extinguisher to be placed/installed in the cars at their shows because of previous incidents of fire at their events. If everyone has an extinguisher in their car, on a show field, there is a better chance of someone coming to the other car owners assistance.

Bill
Instead of being part of the problem, be part of a successful solution.
HOW TO IDENTIFY A FORUM TROLL
https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=16401.0

Bob Gaines

Quote from: Bill on October 13, 2024, 07:33:42 PM
Quote from: SUN02591 on October 13, 2024, 04:26:04 PMMuch appreciated for the responses!

It's not car brand or model specific, show organizations like the AACA, (MCA also I believe) and some others require a fire extinguisher to be placed/installed in the cars at their shows because of previous incidents of fire at their events. If everyone has an extinguisher in their car, on a show field, there is a better chance of someone coming to the other car owners assistance.

Bill
MCA only requires an entrant to have a fire extinguisher available. It is only required to be shown at classification when the car first enters the show field. After that it can be out of sight but available in someone's bag etc. It should not to be placed under a front tire, back tire etc. at any venue because some that are forgotten about end up being run over. One mounted or placed in the car or trunk has the potential of being a points deduction depending on the venue. MCA is one of those venues.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

2008 GT-C

I purchased a Halotron fire extinguisher for my Shelby several years ago. Great for electrical fires without leaving a residue that must be cleaned up quickly if using a standard extinguisher. - Kevin
2008 Shelby GT/SC #102