News:

SPECIAL NOTICE - See SAAC-50 Forum for DATE CHANGE for SAAC-50

Main Menu

2024 French Lick video

Started by silverton_ford, October 14, 2024, 11:11:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Special Ed

That is a VERY RARE cougar and first time shown We went to KY to work on this car 2 times and getting correct parts on it before the show and it was just display as we still got undercarrage work to do. !970 cougar XR7 4-speed drag pack ram air convertible only 7 made. The owner is also in the photo and George H son travis.

propayne

Hope to see that Cougar in person sometime Ed.

- Phillip
President, Delmarva Cougar Club - Brand Manager, Cougar Club of America

Special Ed

That rare cat is going to MCACN after we finish more corrections. Them tires are my last set of nos polyglas f-70-14s

shelbymann1970

Quote from: Special Ed on October 18, 2024, 03:26:07 PMThat is a VERY RARE cougar and first time shown We went to KY to work on this car 2 times and getting correct parts on it before the show and it was just display as we still got undercarrage work to do. !970 cougar XR7 4-speed drag pack ram air convertible only 7 made. The owner is also in the photo and George H son travis.
ED, I was talking to George and Travis about the Cougar when the photo was taken. As I believe you know Ed I've known George since 1986 when I met him at a shop where my 69 Boss 429 I had just bought was at and he had one in the shop. I watched George go from working at ASC and having OEM Parts company(I bought a lot of his excellent repo parts back then and he still sells them to this day) to starting CDC as I stopped by his house one day when he and Terry were installing his first light bar in his McClaren. Boy the years have flown by....
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990
1970 GT350 4 speed(owned since 1985).
  MCA gold 2003(not anymore)
1969 Mach1 428SCJ 4 speed R-code (owned since 2013)
"2nd" owner of 68 GT500 #1626

Special Ed

When i found this cougar back years ago in tampa fl i told hank (george brother) to go buy it since hank and george are big cougar owners and they had it for awhile then sold it to  FL collector todd werner who had it restored and i went down to florida restoration shop with brian styles to try and buy it since i regretted not buying it myself as i knew it was rare but after much research found out its much rarer than a drag pack shelby convertible. I asked the owner who inherited the car from his dad who was an indian from iowa of which i found odd so i looked up the selling dealer Axtell Ford newton iowa and there is an indian reservation outside of that town AND a dragstrip was in that area so that all adds up. I found an original metal Axtell ford dealer tag and its back on the decklid of this rare cat. Only 7 XR7 cougar drag pack convertibles were built and this one is hurst 4-speeed ram air so it dont get much better than that and i think there are only 2 others out there known to exist but i have never seen one in any magazine or show anywhere so has anybody ever found or seen another drag pack cougar convertible ?

propayne

President, Delmarva Cougar Club - Brand Manager, Cougar Club of America

shelbymann1970

Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990
1970 GT350 4 speed(owned since 1985).
  MCA gold 2003(not anymore)
1969 Mach1 428SCJ 4 speed R-code (owned since 2013)
"2nd" owner of 68 GT500 #1626

KR500

Great car. A 428 car built on 4/28 how poetic.
Rodney Harrold,Ohio SAAC Rep,SAAC 68 Shelby Concourse Judge,68 GT500KR 02267

Special Ed

WOW phil thats another loaded KOOL goood looking cat and i just found  out where that car is and  was told a yellow one is in california ?  That coral drag pack vert is a brass tag car as many brass tag cars are  fully loaded. Interesting is these 2 rare drag pack verts coral and blue were only 100 miles or so apart in iowa.