Main Menu

67 wheel covers

Started by 67 GT350, October 16, 2024, 09:33:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

67 GT350

who will restore a set of 67 Mag Style wheel covers for 67
RARE  Signature Delete

Coralsnake

Those wheel covers are readily available and same as 1967 Thunderbird. I dont think there is anyone making the effort
The original Influencer, check out www.thecoralsnake.com

Bob Gaines

Quote from: Coralsnake on October 17, 2024, 10:01:29 AMThose wheel covers are readily available and same as 1967 Thunderbird. I dont think there is anyone making the effort
+1 . You will have a big problem trying to find a replacement center emblem because it is not reproduced . I have only seen and or heard of one set of nos emblems in all my years of parts hunting and networking with other enthusiasts. It would be like the odds similar to a lottery big win to find some. The go to alternative is the ten spoke emblem but because the ten spoke emblem is much larger, if you cut it down to fit the hubcap center the snake is disproportionate to the center size. The snake touches the edges and consequently doesn't look right. Of course you could go to the trouble of having some made up.  Hopefully yours are in good enough shape to reuse.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

67 GT350

WOW, thats not too cool then, is it? So basically one must keep looking for NOS or mint with no dents? Any mint, perfect, nos ones around?
RARE  Signature Delete

JD

the difficult aspect as Bob pointed out, is the correct size aluminum emblem to go in the center cap, restoring/replacing the rest is not so difficult.

Kieth in Wisconsin might be a good one to talk with.
'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

tesgt350

Quote from: Bob Gaines on October 17, 2024, 11:06:11 AM
Quote from: Coralsnake on October 17, 2024, 10:01:29 AMThose wheel covers are readily available and same as 1967 Thunderbird. I dont think there is anyone making the effort
+1 . You will have a big problem trying to find a replacement center emblem because it is not reproduced . I have only seen and or heard of one set of nos emblems in all my years of parts hunting and networking with other enthusiasts. It would be like the odds similar to a lottery big win to find some. The go to alternative is the ten spoke emblem but because the ten spoke emblem is much larger, if you cut it down to fit the hubcap center the snake is disproportionate to the center size. The snake touches the edges and consequently doesn't look right. Of course you could go to the trouble of having some made up.  Hopefully yours are in good enough shape to reuse.

Just curious, When judging, do you actually get down and look at the Center Cap Emblem and touch it?  If not, would a very good scan of the Emblem to make a very good Decal of the Emblem work?

Bob Gaines

Quote from: tesgt350 on October 17, 2024, 12:50:11 PM
Quote from: Bob Gaines on October 17, 2024, 11:06:11 AM

Just curious, When judging, do you actually get down and look at the Center Cap Emblem and touch it?  If not, would a very good scan of the Emblem to make a very good Decal of the Emblem work?

I can speak for myself in that if it looked off at all I would get close to see what was going but would NOT touch. It is not proper concours judging etiquette to touch the car or anything on the car without owner/entrant permission.Deduction would typically be on a sliding scale from a point deduction to just a note depending on how it compares to factory. 
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

J_Speegle

Quote from: tesgt350 on October 17, 2024, 12:50:11 PMJust curious, When judging, do you actually get down and look at the Center Cap Emblem and touch it?  If not, would a very good scan of the Emblem to make a very good Decal of the Emblem work?

Often judges are trained or just figured out that while they are on the ground,  or the car on the lift judging the undercarriage, they will take a look at tire and wheel when they can get very close to those items. Can save time and effort later
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

Coralsnake

I believe that emblem might be embossed as well?
The original Influencer, check out www.thecoralsnake.com

Bob Gaines

Quote from: Coralsnake on October 17, 2024, 06:42:46 PMI believe that emblem might be embossed as well?
You are correct.

67 GT350

Quote from: JD on October 17, 2024, 11:31:20 AMthe difficult aspect as Bob pointed out, is the correct size aluminum emblem to go in the center cap, restoring/replacing the rest is not so difficult.

Kieth in Wisconsin might be a good one to talk with.

WOW they reproduce lug nuts, they can't do a wheel center?
RARE  Signature Delete

67 GT350

So, yes the emblem is a hard one, but bad to the subject....NOBODY is restoring them? I had a Rick Miller do 4 Boss 302 Trim rings to the tune of 150.00 each, the trim rings were not represent correct at all, they came out beautiful. I asked Rick if he could do them, and he said NO....the funny thing is, he is just a middle man!! Can you imagine having a 6 month backlog, and all you do it inspect them when you get them and send them to a 'hidden' outfit to do all the work?
RARE  Signature Delete