News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Ken Miles Flying Mustang tribute for sale

Started by deathsled, October 20, 2024, 10:47:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deathsled

As a caveat, I have no affiliation with this seller.  Just a cool looking Ken Miles R model tribute.  Yes, it is not exact to the original hence the word "tribute" versus "clone."
"Low she sits on five spoke wheels
Small block eight so live she feels
There she's parked beside the curb
Engine revving to disturb
She's the princess from his past
Red paint gold stripes damned she's fast"

Bob Gaines

Good that you made the distinction. Although a pretty car it is far from exact compared to the original in every area that I can see. The original will be parked at the Boulder Shelby museum soon so says the current owner .
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

FL SAAC

Dat sho is purty and I loved when he hit the klaxon ....Kool Kar !
When you arise in the morning, think of what a precious privilege it is to be alive to breathe, to think, to enjoy, to love. ~
Marcus Aurelius Antoninus Augustus

Home of the Amazing Hertz 3 + 1 Musketeers

I have all UNGOLD cars

98SVT - was 06GT

Nice Mustang - but c'mon squeeky hood springs on an "r" lose them and put a correct prop rod on it. I wonder how the guy can call that PU in the background a #1 or 2 car??
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang, 1998 SVT 32V, 1929 Model A Coupe, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

deathsled

Quote from: 98SVT - was 06GT on October 21, 2024, 01:26:34 PMNice Mustang - but c'mon squeeky hood springs on an "r" lose them and put a correct prop rod on it. I wonder how the guy can call that PU in the background a #1 or 2 car??
Squeeeeeek.....Well it does have a certain haunt about it if nothing else.

The Troll Free Zone

Nice video.

Question; what makes it a Ken Miles Flying Mustang car?

That fact that its white?

That it resembles a Shelby?

What am I missing? Its just a white Mustang with a LOT of upgrades.

Last question, what exactly makes it "far superior" to the original.

We think it's Kool too...pass the Kool-Aid 
Previously owned:
1968 Shelby GT500 Gold Concourse
1973 Cougar
1968 Mustang coupe
1966 Mustang 4 speed vert
1965 Mustang coupe
1968 Cougar
1971 Montego
1968 Torino GT
1966 GT350H clone

Drain the Florida swamp

deathsled

In the words of Bill O'Reilly formerly of Fox News "I report, you decide."

But to answer your inquiry in earnest, about the only thing I can see that makes the car remotely similar to the Ken Miles Flying Mustang is the door, hood and trunk number of 98.  Other than that, little else.  It is missing the pop riveted unmovable passenger side door Plexiglas, it has a five speed instead of a T-10 four speed.  The backlight does not dip and appears to be the standard Ford Carlite glass.  The trunk lid does not have the click pin release.  And many other things.  That said, I think the car will be enjoyed by some enthusiast out there.  If you parked the car side by side with the original, you would still have to do a double take at twenty feet or so to begin noticing the differences.  I like the car.  It's the anti-matter version of Ken Miles's original car.  Or parallel universe version.  Would I buy the car?  No, I have enough projects to keep me busy, one being to R Modelize my father's 65 blue A code fastback.  Do I appreciate the work someone put into that car to make it like Ken Miles's car without being a mirror image? Absolutely.  Cheers gentlemen!

CharlesTurner

Surprised there haven't been more of these considering how much the real one sold for.  OVC certainly took the concept and ran with it, although their cars are closer to the original.

The one referenced here looks like a decent restomod/tribute, I don't think they were trying to fool anyone and it probably does perform/handle better than the original.
Charles Turner
MCA/SAAC Judge

shelbymann1970

Looks like Marc's facility in Mass. I'm sure it will astound on the final price on BaT.
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990
1970 GT350 4 speed(owned since 1985).
  MCA gold 2003(not anymore)
1969 Mach1 428SCJ 4 speed R-code (owned since 2013)
"2nd" owner of 68 GT500 #1626

The Troll Free Zone

The question was what is it about this car that they call it the flying mustang and the answer is the numbers on the door/hood.

I agree that the workmanship is flawless. I know what goes into it as I spent five years restoring my own car and yes it most certainly handles better that an original what with all the updates. To claim that it is "far superior to the original (Ken Miles car) depends on you definition of superior.

Previously owned:
1973 Cougar
1968 Mustang coupe
1965 Mustang coupe
1968 Cougar
1971 Montego
1968 Torino GT
1966 GT350H clone

Drain the Florida swamp

deathsled

We all know that cars are inanimate objects (though my fantasy fiction writing may suggest otherwise).  However, the real flying Mustang has a divine connection to Ken Miles that can never be broken save for the entire destruction of that car.  The car that is up for sale is a celebration of Ken Miles as I see it, a peak into the past without actually visiting the past of the original flying Mustang.  It will never be superior to the original if one subscribes to gestalt reasoning that the whole is greater than the sum of the parts.  The flying Mustang original is the whole while the tribute is the sum of the parts minus several parts here and there.  I still like the car that they are offering and trust it will end up in the hands of an enthusiast who may not have the deep pockets to buy a real R but can enjoy this car every time they turn that ignition key.

FL SAAC

Quote from: deathsled on October 22, 2024, 12:35:58 PMWe all know that cars are inanimate objects (though my fantasy fiction writing may suggest otherwise).  However, the real flying Mustang has a divine connection to Ken Miles that can never be broken save for the entire destruction of that car.  The car that is up for sale is a celebration of Ken Miles as I see it, a peak into the past without actually visiting the past of the original flying Mustang.  It will never be superior to the original if one subscribes to gestalt reasoning that the whole is greater than the sum of the parts.  The flying Mustang original is the whole while the tribute is the sum of the parts minus several parts here and there.  I still like the car that they are offering and trust it will end up in the hands of an enthusiast who may not have the deep pockets to buy a real R but can enjoy this car every time they turn that ignition key.

beautifully expressed
When you arise in the morning, think of what a precious privilege it is to be alive to breathe, to think, to enjoy, to love. ~
Marcus Aurelius Antoninus Augustus

Home of the Amazing Hertz 3 + 1 Musketeers

I have all UNGOLD cars

The Troll Free Zone

wonder how much value is added by associating it with Ken Miles, seems to be the objective IMHO.
Previously owned:
1973 Cougar
1968 Mustang coupe
1965 Mustang coupe
1968 Cougar
1971 Montego
1968 Torino GT
1966 GT350H clone

Drain the Florida swamp

deathsled

Quote from: The Troll Free Zone on October 22, 2024, 02:30:58 PMwonder how much value is added by associating it with Ken Miles, seems to be the objective IMHO.
One hundred percent agreed.

98SVT - was 06GT

Quote from: The Troll Free Zone on October 22, 2024, 02:30:58 PMwonder how much value is added by associating it with Ken Miles, seems to be the objective IMHO.
Less than the cost of the decals. Anyone spending more than nicely restored Mustang money is one of those PT Barnum spoke of.......
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang, 1998 SVT 32V, 1929 Model A Coupe, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless