News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Ford Experimental -Concept Vehicles

Started by FL SAAC, February 17, 2020, 08:58:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FL SAAC

The Tasca Super Mark VIII

Few people know the story of this car, but it fascinates me. Here is what I know.

Back in 1992, when Ford was exploring the potential of their Modular engines, they commissioned two prototype cars to be built. While the Mach III Mustang became well-known, its lesser-known counterpart was the Tasca Super Mark VIII.

Watson Engineering, the same team behind the Mach III, also built this Mark VIII. Both cars featured the same powertrain, highlighting a significant milestone in Ford's engineering.
When you arise in the morning, think of what a precious privilege it is to be alive to breathe, to think, to enjoy, to love. ~
Marcus Aurelius

"Home of the "Amazing Hertz 3 + 1 Musketeers"

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

FL SAAC

The standout feature of these cars was their engine. It was a 4.6 DOHC 4V, Quad Cam V8, the first of its kind released in a Ford vehicle. But they took it a step further by supercharging it. The setup closely resembled what Ford would produce a decade later with the 03-04 Cobra, though using 90's technology. The Mark VIII was powered by an intercooled Eaton supercharger.

What made the Mark VIII even more unique was its fuel system. At the time, there were no high impedance injectors capable of flowing enough fuel. To solve this, the car was equipped with two MAF sensors, 16 fuel injectors, and two EEC computers, all intricately wired together to ensure it drove like a production car while producing over 400HP.

Typically, the story would have ended there, with the prototype destined for the crusher. However, Bob Tasca III's father (Sr), a renowned Ford dealer, convinced Ford executives to let him keep the car. He cherished it for many years, driving nearly 6,000 miles.

The story didn't end with Tasca. Someine stumbled upon this car on a lesser-known auction site where it wasn't properly advertised. It seemed that no one at the auction recognized its significance.

This one-of-a-kind car today, a unique testament to Ford's innovative spirit and the remarkable engineering of Watson Engineering.
When you arise in the morning, think of what a precious privilege it is to be alive to breathe, to think, to enjoy, to love. ~
Marcus Aurelius

"Home of the "Amazing Hertz 3 + 1 Musketeers"

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

98SVT - was 06GT

MK VIII Lincolns are a great (cheap) source of engine parts for the 96-01 SVT Mustangs. The crank is wrong for a stick but everything else works.
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang, 1998 SVT 32V, 1929 Model A Coupe, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

KR Convertible

Just curious.  What is different on the crank?  I have a 96 Cobra and a 97 Mark VIII.

KR Convertible

I was aware that the cams and induction were different, but didn't know about the crank.

98SVT - was 06GT

Quote from: KR Convertible on June 07, 2024, 08:00:52 PMJust curious.  What is different on the crank?  I have a 96 Cobra and a 97 Mark VIII.
Lincoln crank isn't fully machined for the stick shift input shaft bushing and it's 6 bolts for the flywheel not 8.
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang, 1998 SVT 32V, 1929 Model A Coupe, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

KR Convertible